main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Even though it's a decade later, I feel like Solo gives us our first glimpse of this era, with dystopian Corellia and the Clone Wars-era battles on Mimban never really ended.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Be nice in the next release of the B-wing that we get a canon name for Blue Leader since Blue Squadron has only one confirmed member in canon - Blue Five Ten Numb (two if Black Series release of Blue Seven Palso Thern is official). But that's asking for too much I suppose. They seem to have focused on Blade Squadron - with its four confirmed members at Endor - then any other B-wing squadron at the battle.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So... still no Armada announcements. One way or another. I keep hoping for one in June/July, which would correspond to a Christmas release. [face_praying]

Honestly, the only two things I truly want are the Dornean gunship and the U-wing. Preferably as a pack. That would literally complete the Rebel ships from the films, save the wingless Liberty, which in reality would be cool but is entirely unnecessary.

--Adm. Nick

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Apologies for the delayed reply; we had a long weekend here for Her Maj's birthday and I tend not to post at weekends.

We did Vader and Maul. The issue I have - and it's documented here - is that the base statline for the NPCs in the book is just unattainably high, making the players less special than they once were. It's usually a 4 4 5 3 3 2 or similar, which is insane.

Vader's unbeatable at even 500 earned XP. Maul is doable though.
    More like fourteen to nineteen years in, isn't it, given its coverage of Rebels and R1? I'm imagining a campaign set very much before that - same general idea as DoR I suppose, but tweaked as described above - a galaxy freshly ravaged by the Clone Wars, where the fire of hope hasn't been lit yet and things are pretty much as bleak as we'll ever see in a Star Wars setting. That's more than enough right there to make an interesting era book out of.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    The Positive Fan likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  7. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    IMO, while the WEG 'fluff' material is pretty much evergreen and worth mining by anyone, as a game system I think the FFG family is more refined and polished. That said, I do think it's probably a better choice to ease in players who are used to more crunchtastic tactical problem-solving RPGing than Star Wars should be - which is an issue that's come up occasionally in this thread before.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No. I really wish the usual Lit crowd who buy books but have no intent to play would leave this alone as it's a piece of RPG history and a lot of players would like to get it to relive memories of the D6 system.

As @Vthuil has rightly said, the FFG narrative gaming system is a better SW gaming experience. If you want the crunch, I'd go Saga though over D6.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    With any luck we should be getting the 30th anniversary edition right around the game's 31st anniversary...

KerkKorpil, Daneira and Ender Sai like this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Right?

KerkKorpil likes this.
  12. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Who cares why they want it, let people buy what they want to buy, no need to be The Fun Police. Heck I've considered getting it just because like you said, it's a piece of history. It isn't often is a 30 year old out of print book re released after all.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Because it's a limited print aimed at gamers, so why buy it if you're not going to play it? Just so there's one thing more to hang onto from the corpse of Legends? I mean, I know people will buy it because of their sad, sad obsessive need to try and not understand the WEG/RPG stuff at all but still.

14. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    It was supposed to be my birthday present. Most likely will be my next years birthday present.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Because someone wants to own it. No need to justify it to anyone.

16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Maybe you want to read and enjoy the fluff? Maybe you're a collector? Maybe you had a copy years ago and want to reacquire/replace it for sentimental/nostalgic reasons? Maybe you'll want to run/play a game eventually?

So what if someone wants to get something that's tied into the Legends iteration of the franchise? I've gotten a few Legends novels after the Disney buyout and re-read many more of them since the de-canonization. Good stories/materials are good stories/materials, irregardless of their canonicity.

Besides, the fluff can always be revised if one wants to run a canon-compliant game. There are more than a few fan supplements online for incorporating post-WEG materials into the WEG format and anyone can invent their own templates.

I've learned to not assume that I know why people want or don't want things; the answers can sometimes be surprising. Besides, the point of a game is for the owners and players to have fun. If they accomplish that through an unconventional route or by using the game in a way the creators didn't intend, the game has still fulfilled its only purpose for existing.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Have they added TIE/rb heavies?

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not yet. Maybe (since the Solo movie version of the Falcon was announced only a few days ago) they'll be included in a "Solo wave".

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Alas, I do get these for the info and the art. And the Muuns. I guess I need to leave home and rethink my life.

21. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    As I had already acquired originals of these I had entirely intended to skip the re-release.

But now, as part of *ahem* the usual Lit crow who buy books but have no intent to play, I'm honestly tempted to order a couple dozen of the "limited release" books and donate them to libraries in small towns around my city. Anyone else want to do the same?

22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Come on, you guys - haven't you noticed the large red "GAMERS ONLY" warning label they slap on the covers of these? Don't you know your FLGS runs an extensive background check to ensure that only RPG gamers buy these books, and then ONLY for purely gaming purposes? Either buy these books for Ender-approved reasons, or don't buy them. FFG will be notified of any future infractions.

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ender... we've warned you before not to demean or insult peoples reasons or motivations for purchasing a product. People can enjoy a product however they want, you are not allowed to pass judgement or make snide comments about their choices. This is the last friendly warning.

Now, let's get back to lighting candles and praying for new releases from FFG for Armada... ;)

--Adm. Nick

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  24. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    Just curious, but is the FFG material considered canon?

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Generally speaking, no. Most FFG-only stuff, Wookieepedians put on Legends pages.