main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I recall a certain other commentary where a certain someone claimed Han doesn't understand Chewbacca, but Ahsoka can.

Force Smuggler and MrDarth0 like this.
  2. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    True! Same with Han shooting first :p

I guess we’ll have to wait for the novelization to finally confirm one way or the other.

Who said that?! Clearly someone who hasn’t seen the OT...

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well whatever it is, it's canon now, Han can speak Wookiee. Actually I loved the detail where Han just says "Chewbacca" once and then "We'll have to shorten that." Which is great cuz Han never in the OT or TFA calls him "Chewbacca". I'm vaguely wondering if Han even remembers Chewie's full name decades later.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I thought for sure he must have said it in ANH but no, that was Obi-Wan.

5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm kind of concerned the rumored Obi-Wan movie is in trouble now because of Solo. I'd love to see Ewan take another shot at the role. For all we know, the Anthology plans may have changed and they're prepping up the Battle of Jakku, Rogue Two: The Bothans, or anything other than a prequel movie centered around an existing character.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  6. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I wouldn't be. I think the biggest changes we'll see going forward are all on the marketing end. Regardless of the Internet's love of a conspiracy theory, I think internally they know exactly what happened with the numbers on this movie, and I don't think creative decisions had anything to do with it.

7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Disney made Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales like what the heck are you guys even worried about.

That said I've gotten so much Obi-Wan over the years all I really want is a Qui-Gon movie.

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I came across your twitter, @cookeycat and it seems we have official confirmation that Quay's look is just an exosuit and not what live action Pykes look like:

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    This seems to have always been the case. The guy in the middle isn't covering his face, but the guys next to him are clearly wearing masks.

[​IMG]

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Aside from Lom, I think all Pykes so far have been masked.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Oh. I need to watch TCW again.

BobaMatt likes this.
  12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Quay's mask is dull and boring, though.

vncredleader likes this.
  13. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    That reminds me, Leland Chee answered a question about Quay earlier this month, too:

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Bit of retcon backfliipping, I recon but I can buy it. Complete guess but I'm guessing the script said he was a Pyke, the director(s - probably when Lord and Miller were on it) went with the design they liked the most which is Pyke-ish like TCW but not exactly bang on 1 to 1 so a we bit of continuity fudging to put two and two together.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    This is my concern, too. When these Anthology films were first announced, the Kenobi film was near the top of my list. The correct amount of time has passed. The actor is the right age, and is willing. Even PT haters generally agree that EM was a great Obi-Wan. It just seems perfect and a no-brainer.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    I don't know, the shape of the head and even the general design of the mask looks pretty spot on.

EDIT: Sorry, I ran out of time to edit my previous post. :)

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The one thing I keep wondering is whether the generic guards on Kessel were supposed to be members of the Pyke species or not. They don't really look like it at all, and the crew is able to steal their equipment easily enough - but they do have the distinctive double tubes.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So this movie takes place on the outer rim mostly, right? So a title could have been Han Solo and Friends Big Rim Job.

19. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    In the Art of Solo book it’s stated the guards are actually human.

20. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
    Pyke design change was explained in "The Art of Solo":
    "We liked the existing design but wanted to put a spin on it, making it worthy of a two hundred million dollar Star Wars film. We wanted to make the design a little more coherent."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    [​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    [​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Some more info here:

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Interviews:

-

21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    "A little more coherent"? I'm not sure what they mean by that. What wasn't "coherent" with the Pykes' design in TCW?

Mia Mesharad, kalzeth and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  22. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I imagine they're referring to coherence with the overall aesthetic of the movie, not that the design alone is incoherent.

LelalMekha likes this.
  23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Makes sense. However, I disagree with the "worthy of a two hundred million dollar film" part. A helmet and a concealing robe always feels cheaper than a proper alien head and body structure.

24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    'Solo' is giving me vibes of 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' from 2009. Both movies are prequels showing the origins of supposedly popular characters from their respective franchises. Both characters supposedly have mysterious pasts, even though by the time the movies came out both characters already had detailed backstories in media that people supposedly didn't read (countless comic books for Wolverine, a novel trilogy for Han Solo). Despite the fair assumption by the moviemakers that the general movie audience didn't read these media, people interested in the character already knew these general backstories from the internet or wikia articles, thus making the point of a full-fledged film for a supposedly mysterious character redundant.

Both movies were low points for their respective franchises, forcing re-evaluation of the franchise strategy. Both movies basically are a run through of a checklist of events that the original movies (X-Men film trilogy for Wolvie, OT for Solo) referred to. Both have a love interest who is never seen or mentioned in the original work. Both have mentors for the characters (Stryker for Wolvie, Beckett for Solo) that the hero has to confront in the end when they show their true colors.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    See, I think you're missing a key difference between X Men Origins: Wolverine and Solo.

Solo was actually a good movie.