main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 RV Alternative to Hotel Stay

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by haveahiddles, Jun 11, 2018.

1. haveahiddles

haveahiddles Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2018
    Out of curiosity, is anyone considering alternatives to hotel rooms? Given that the hotel rooms sold out so quickly, I'm just wondering what people are doing.

Would anyone consider staying in an RV with other attendees? Most RVs can sleep 6-8 and sharing the cost of renting one seems very plausible.

Thoughts?

2. Swtorista

Swtorista Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2018
    Here's a great blog post by someone who did this near McCormick for another convention :) It seems pretty doable! I think the biggest issue you will run in to is showers/water if you are sharing with that many other people.

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/downtown-chicago-rv-camping

I don't know if those places mentioned will be available with the chaos and population attending SDCC. But the people in that article said their convention was busy too, and it was fine - you can reserve ahead.

haveahiddles likes this.
  3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think that would be a good option to do with friends or family if everyone involved is up for it and you can find somewhere to do it.

But I think it would be too risky to do with people you don't know. You never know what kind of damages could occur that somebody could just walk away from, leaving the responsibility to fall on the person who signed the rental. I don't mean to sound negative or anything.

4. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    You have to also thought about getting rid of "waste", is there a place to empty the tank? Would this be a rental vehicle? as mentioned above, the risk of damages, break-ins and other unforeseen disruptions has to be taken in consideration.

5. haveahiddles

Jun 10, 2018
    The location is right outside of the convention center, and no, there are no hookups: dry camping or boondocking. The RV has large enough storage tanks for water and waste; the RV company will fill them and dispose of waste after the event. There is no Wi-Fi available on the lot, but ample amounts in the convention center. The RV would be for us to have a place to sleep and change, store our things and food, and be within walking distance to the event location.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I have been thinking about it. My wife works for Camping World so we get campers for free to use. As long as the camper has solar to charge my phone and Ipad I'm seriously thinking about.

7. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Were you able to get tickets then?

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    No but I figure something will come up on the secondary market eventually once passes have shipped.

9. haveahiddles

Jun 10, 2018
    I've priced this out and it's very doable. For about half of what you'd pay for a hotel room stay, you can be right across the street from the convention center. The RV we're considering has room to sleep 6 comfortably and up to 8 people, so if this is something others are interested in, contact me privately. [Please note that we're only looking for female roomies, however.]

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Given what I've read about the neighborhood, how secure would that be?

11. haveahiddles

Jun 10, 2018
    The lot is fenced and well lit, and there is 24/7 private security on premises, both in a central office and patrolling the lot. It is also regularly patrolled by city police, which will be a very visible presence for this kind of event, trust me. My understanding is RVs are usually parked together, in effect creating a campground, and if other fans consider doing this we can create a SWC community of fans--strength in numbers.

I know a lot of people from out of town are concerned about crime and Chicago's reputation, but I have lived here for over a decade and I can tell you those stories are ridiculously inflated. Like most big cities, crime is worse in some neighborhoods than others, but the convention location is a commercial area, not residential. If one uses common sense in safety precautions, it's as safe as anywhere else.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sounds OK. As Hiddles said above, if you want to inquire further please use the Conversation system. Don't share personal information in the threads here.

13. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    I hope the RV idea works, it's sad that Reed picked a city with limited close-by hotels for so many people who are use to being very close to the venue. I guess that you have to be creative if you want to attend in a situation like this.

14. haveahiddles

Jun 10, 2018
    The neighborhood is very safe.

Chicago, on the whole, is actually a very safe place despite what news outlets love to say. I've lived here for 15 years and I've never so much as heard gunshots, let alone been mugged or had anything stolen. (Got groped once at Pride, but we sicced the cops on him so fast, his head was spinning.) Most of the violent crime is limited to very poor neighborhoods on the south side. McCormick Place and the surrounding area is very safe, particularly because it's a space for tourists. Whenever there's a big convention (like Star Wars or C2E2) the Chicago police are always out in force 24 hours a day along with the private security hired by the convention center and the hotels. Exercise common sense (lock doors, don't leave valuables unattended, don't tattoo your PIN number on your forehead, etc.) and you'll be fine.

Agreed! I realize McCormick is the largest convention center in the country, but I really don't see why they couldn't have had it at the Donald E Stephens Convention center in Rosemont, IL. It's still easily accessible to downtown Chicago and VERY close to O'Hare. Even better, it has five hotels directly connected to the center, as well as a bunch of others down the street (easily walkable). They have Anime Central (the biggest anime con in the Midwest) there every year and they don't even use the entire convention center for it. So I can't imagine it would be "too small" for Star Wars Celebration. The only reason I can think of is that Reed has some sort of contract with McCormick since they also run C2E2 there.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  15. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I think the arena probably played a big part in why they picked McCormick for this one.

16. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Yep. I'll gladly trade good hotel locations for Wintrust Arena.

17. groove790

groove790 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    I considered this for C2E2 a few years ago and decided it was not worth it for me. As far as cost it was a great option but for convenience and the ability to shower and use the toilet I decided against it.

Safety was also a concern, I've heard some pretty bad truck stop horror stories. I would imagine that most people who are there are there to sleep and move on though. With a gate and 24/7 security I'm sure that wouldn't be a large concern though.

I'm an avid camper and it is always interesting to me to see how few options there are for campers around large cities aside from Wal-Mart parking lots. You have to be prepared to commute if you plan to be an RV'er. Fortunately I was able to snag the Marriott Marquis this time so I'm good. Now we see if the stars will align and I will be able to make it.

If you do decide to camp in the truck lot I would love to hear about your experience.

18. haveahiddles

Jun 10, 2018
    We'd still like to stay at the Hyatt McCormick, but since that seems impossible at this point, we've come up with this possible alternative. My friend and I have some mobility issues [she more than I] and can't be farther than walking distance from the con center. Unfortunately, that has locked us out of C2E2 in the past, too. Shuttle buses and Uber also aren't an option for her.

The McCormick Place is the only place in the city for downtown RV parking, but it isn't a campground. However, when an event like SWCC is taking place, the lot is usually filled with crew trucks and the like, plus [I'm hoping] fellow attendees, so I'm not too concerned. It is a step up from the regular Wallyworld lot stay, security-wise at least, but it is dry camping as there's no hookups.

19. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    If you have physical mobility issues, contacting McCormick ahead of time might help to guarantee you a spot, or maybe even a closer spot, within the lot itself. Good luck!

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Also getting a medical pass (if you haven't already) might help around the con itself.

21. j-jawa3

Sep 4, 2004
    I have no idea how big McCormick is, looks very large from the outside. I thought the Orlando convention center was big, but maybe that was because it was spread out in the area. If Hiddles and her friend have health concerns, yes, get as close to the con. center as possible! wish you could've gotten a hotel room connected!. maybe there will be an opening, I hope so. Yes, get that medical pass.

22. haveahiddles

Jun 10, 2018
    Would someone message me privately how to get the medical passes?
    We're still looking for hotel space; meanwhile, we're looking into different sizes/types of RVs, depending on how many people are interested in camping with us. If you're interested, contact me via Conversation.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hiddles (and anyone else) - I couldn't find a medical pass section on the website (unless it's part of the Buy Tickets section) but I did find an email address for medical questions in the FAQ section. Hope it helps! It's starwarsmedical@reedpop.com .

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018