main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Marvel being Marvel and with Gillen making noises about the main Star Wars title coming near to ESB, I wonder if they may cancel and relaunch it with a new #1, either in the ESB-ROTJ gap or (perhaps more likely) post-ROTJ.

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I want a Sinjir comic.

3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That would be neat.

They could even start the Sinjir comic when he’s still working for the Empire. Sort of like the agent of the empire series from DH. And then move forward to when joins The rebellion.

Daneira likes this.
  4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't think it's that clear. Gillen said he's trying to move towards ESB and do what he did with Vader. He moved Vader to his position in ESB and those comics ended well before the film. I think we're likely halfway to two thirds of the way to ESB in Star Wars. I do hope they relaunch and do post ESB and/or post ROTJ

A Sinjir comic is absolutely essential. He's one of the best new characters and there's so much they can do with him. I really want to see his career working for Mon Mothma

Daneira likes this.
  5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Sinjir's in a great position for them to do essentially the same thing they did with Kanan. Have a bookend story based around him working with Mon Mothma that ties into his past as an Imperial.

Daneira, JediKnight75 and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    @JediKnight75

Will be interesting to see how Marvel handles the post Jedi stuff. We know they will undoubtedly do that but will they start up a new series to do that or just transfer the existing Star Wars title to the post Jedi time period?[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  7. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    [/QUOTE]

This is something I'm very curious about. In some ways Shattered Empire, Battlefront 2, and Aftermath provide a good look into what these characters are doing during that year and part of me wonders how much they can do. At the same time, we haven't seen much from the first three to four months so there's still a lot of room for them to tell stories. Especially since Gillen is pretty creative. I hope they just transfer the existing title. Star Wars fits as a continuation of Leia, Han, and Luke's stories within the OT. They can show more of Operation Cinder and increase the role of these characters in that. We only see Luke at the beginning and end and Leia at the beginning. It will be fitting for it to continue until the end of the war. They can use the post Endor as an extended epilogue to the OT. Also, since the series started with Luke searching for Jedi lore they can bring that back which will be a nice circle.

I'm also wondering how they'll handle to post ESB. Moving Target showed us what happened during that era, but there's still more to show. Lando getting to know Leia and Luke would be nice to see, as would them planning to rescue Han. I feel like these months are the best time to place Lando's maneuver at Tanaab. They can asloshow us more of the fleet surviving after Hoth.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    They need to cover ESB somehow, kind of like how Poe Dameron is doing now with TFA and TLJ, it's a bit too big of an event for the comic to simply blip over.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Darth Kickass likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe we see the rest of the Rebellion after Hoth and they wonder where the Big 3 are?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm not sure it's necessary because it's so well known. And we already know what the main characters are doing during that time. But they could do an interlude and show it from Mon Mothma's perspective (juxtaposing it with Palpatine's would be great) and/or Rebel soldiers fleeing Hoth. Something like that would be cool and I'd be pretty excited. I don't think they should retell the movie, even to the extent the Poe Dameron comic is doing. In TFA one of the main characters was off screen for a long time and he happens to be the protagonist of this series. In addition, that comics main cast is off screen in the ST. So it makes sense for them to retell TFA in the way they're doing. That's not the case with ESB and I'd worry about the arc feeling redundant. Still, I'd be very in support of a story that overlaps with parts of ESB and enjoy it. If they have an idea tell a story that adds depth to the movie, adds to the comic's overall story, and doesn't feel like just a retelling of ESB to include those events then they definitely should do so

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    Few more Clone Wars comics wouldn't hurt.

12. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Maybe they coukd show us what Sana was doing during TESB?

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

kalzeth likes this.
  13. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I think I remember someone suggesting quite awhile back that we could see Sana and Aphra trying to stop Boba Fett from taking Han. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a crossover between Star Wars and Doctor Aphra that took place during ESB. Marvel loves crossovers and a big event like ESB seems like the perfect fit.

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I wish that Marvel can do character pieces on Count Dooku, General Grevious, Jango Fett, Boba Fett, Cad Bane and a Luke Skywalker stand alone. I do like the adaption so far of TLJ. It is far more visual and explains a bit more than the actual movie. Way better than TFA adaption.

15. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I am pretty surprised we haven’t seen mini series on cad Bane and other bounty hunters. Also sidano ithano and grievous. I feel like they would sell and so would Asajj.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1, Vinylshadow and lordpixie like this.
  16. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    The North America direct market sales for May were just released today. These numbers do not include digital or TPB sales, where Star Wars comics do exceptionally well. The thing I found very interesting is that Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith outsold Star Wars! This is the first time I've seen a series outsell Star Wars (excluding first issues), even if it is by such a narrow margin. Darth Vader has been such a strong series I am very happy to see it doing well, and I really hope Marvel will start to get the message that fans are noticing how poor the artwork is in the Star Wars series. A year ago it was averaging ~70,000 units per month, now it's down to ~50,000.

26. Star Wars Darth Vader #16 50,612
    27. Star Wars #47 50,041
    30. Star Wars #48 46,418
    35. Star Wars Lando Double or Nothing #1 42,904
    42. Star Wars Annual #4 39,179
    56. Star Wars Thrawn #4 33,266
    73. Star Wars Doctor Aphra #20 27,837
    76. Star Wars Last Jedi Adaptation #1 27,057
    96. Star Wars Poe Dameron #27 23,364
    107. Star Wars Last Jedi Adaptation #2 22,281

See the full sales chart here.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wow, some of those books are either in or near to what Marvel considers cancellation territory.

kalzeth likes this.
  18. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I love that Darth Vader outsold Star Wars. Keep sending the message that the Art is just as important as the story!

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

19. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Unfortunate that Aphra and Poe aren't doing better, those books are great! Darth Vader deserves every bit of success though, and I've been liking SW more lately! Thrawn is the only thing I'm not really liking at the moment, just don't think it works too well as a comic adaptation so far (only read the first two though).

tatooinesandworm and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Glad that Darth Vader is doing so well, it deserves it. The only series I fear for is Doctor Aphra, as the rest are either mini series or one shots that will wrap up soon regardless of how much they sell.

tatooinesandworm and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There was a whole bunch of event mini and #1 and high number #800 for Amazing Spider-Man and 600 for Invincible Iron Man which probably pushed Star Wars down a bit. I don't hate the art in the main line as much as others do but it's overdue for a new artist only because they swap out artists a lot on bit time Marvel properties. And ESB flip would be a perfect time (and probably a shiny new #1 as well, which can then be a few issues out from hitting Star Wars #200 eventually maybe if they legacy number the title with Marvel's original run)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah this was the first month where one of the other ongoing series outsold the main Star Wars line. I'd imagine Star Wars will get another bump though with issue #50 coming out.

Aphra is fine for another year at least in terms of sales. That comic has been averaging a very consistently good 1,000 drop per issue for about the last year or so. It will be interesting to see how low they let the Poe single issue sales get. Though #27 sales for it were virtually identical to #26 so maybe it has hit the point where it has reached the group of people who will get it no matter what. It could be ending soon anyways but we will just have to see. Lol and no @Jedi Ben that doesn't mean I want it to end (after all I just paid 11 bucks for a single issue off of amazon because I was getting irritated that my comic shop wasn't getting it in yet) I just think it could likely end soon.

As far as how Star Wars comics are doing overall compared to other things that are out there now. Still extremely well even if it isn't out of this world good anylonger like it was for the first year or so. Still the only ongoing series that does better than the two best selling Star Wars series is currently Bat Man. Walking Dead I guess is doing better too but I never put that into consideration considering you would be judging something that only releases one comic a month vs a franchise that puts out seven to eight comics a month.

One thing I am interested in seeing in the next year or two in terms of sales is when they start up their inevitable ongoing about Rey how well that sells? And will they market it solely as a Rey series or will they add other known characters in there as well? I'm sure they would want to fill in a lot of her story about her time growing up on Jakku and she pretty much has to be the only known character during that part of her life.

Also an added note. Tag and Bink sold over 16,000 TPB's. That is an insane amount. Some long time fans who normally don't get comics regularly probably got into the action of that one.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  23. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Hasn't Soule said that Poe sells extremely well digitally? I am 90% sure I read this at some point.

24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah it is on post 4244 on the previous page of this thread.

25. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    I wonder if marvel would just stop a SW comic half way through a storyline or do they finnish an arc then stop ? and would lucasfilm have much say ? iv not much experience with marvel comics