main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Whills (the original sequel trilogy plot revealed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BaronNoir, Jun 13, 2018.

1. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
  2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
  3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Like you said the execution is what counts. That's just a broad outline of what it's about, what is the actual story itself ?.

Still sounds more interesting than Rebellion v Empire 2.0 though

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This sounds a lot like many of my theories.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I cannot bring myself to care about this on more than a vague intellectual level - I respect the hell out of Lucas's "I know people will like it but I don't care attitude", but he's just flip-flopped way too many times for this to be more than trivia to me.

(Edit: To say nothing of the difficulty with judging theorized material anyway - it already occurs to me that the OP's malevolent interpretation of the Whills isn't at all what I got out of the two whole paragraphs here).

All that said, though, there is a part of me that is incredibly curious whether the "World Between Worlds" concept in Rebels is essentially a derivative of something in here, packaged more appealingly. It doesn't seem unbelievable given Lucas and Filoni's relationship.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
  8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I dont know that i'd call the Whills "dark gods," intriguing concept though.

Talking about it as microbiotic seems rather silly, though. How do you even depict that on film, let alone with a cast consisting of OT elders and ST inheritors? I cant imagine he literally means the Whills are microbiotic beings, but that he's talking about delving deeper into how and why the midi-chlorians have this relationship with the Force/Whills.

I could see George jumping headlong into The Whills, how the Ones of Mortis are related to them, and the Force Priestess and the midi-chlorian origin planet. 2 of those things were depicted with a transition to realms beyond the material.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    In that context he describes, its fairly interesting. It's not the whole story, but it's a concept that I'm not at all opposed to.

revan772 likes this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    We finally know what the Whills are! This is HUGE news.

I'm really curious how this plot would've squared with Darth Talon going around killing Jedi for her dark spirit master, though.

11. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    Leaked footage from Lucas' sequel trilogy:

12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think when we get into the midi-chlorians there's a tendency to see them solely as cellular organelles akin to mitochondria, but i feel the Yoda arc makes it pretty clear that they inhabit a kind of intermediary space in the cosmos that bridges the material and immaterial realms.

They are kind of like the Divine Breath the permeates everything.

13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    That was always how I interpreted midi chlorians as well-they are microbial life forms but they are also intermediaries between the spiritual realm and the mundane of physical world.

Dagobahsystem and Jedi Princess like this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So it sounds like the idea of the Father/Son/Daughter are all tied to the Shaman of the Whills, the Five Priestesses that Yoda meets in the Clone Wars and all that crazy Force stuff that we don't understand. It's always been a sort of religion and I'm sure the Sith interpret it one way, the Jedi another way, and the Nightsisters another way.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    And the Aing Tii and Baran Do interpret it different ways as well.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  16. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Are either of those canon?

The Bendu has his understanding. As do the Guardians/Disciples of the Whills. I like that Churrit says "may the Force of Others ve with you."

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    No they aren't but I'm still using the example.

18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Oooh, I'm aware that Lucas had nothing to do with KOTOR, but this is interesting in light of Darth Nihilus. Could he have been a (minor) galactic deity / a very hungry Whill?

Barriss_Coffee and spicer like this.
  19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Dbl post

Ulicus likes this.
  20. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This actually could have tied into the core concept of Luke trying to end the Jedi (in what we got) and apparently having no new Jedi Order in the original outline. We could have done without Jedi Purge 2.0 and instead have Luke find out that the entire Jedi Order was a lie so that there will always be tons of Force users giving the Whills the nutrients they need. Once Luke finds out they suffer and die to give these Whills their "food", he flips out, tells his Order to stop being Jedi and go home, and runs off to the first Jedi Temple to research how all of this nonsense could have started to begin with.

We wouldn't need the 'Solo kid goes bad again' business. We'd basically have the prophecy of the Chosen One being a story made up by the Whills to let them know when the Force reached the height it needed to herald their entrance into the galaxy and still be fed. Anakin Skywalker suffered and became Vader so these guys could eat! That's a far better reason for Luke to go running to the First Temple than what we got.

Instead of the ST being about rebuilding the Jedi AGAIN, it would have been about Force users and non-Force users coming together to fight the impending Whill invasion. Luke has to grapple if Jedihood means anything now that he knows it's a sham built so the Whills have a constant supply of Force to eat from. Rey would have to deal with the fact that her high midichlorian count was planned for millennia so the Whills have a supply of Force to feed on in their arrival. Finn and Poe can feel useful knowing that their lack of Force sensitivity isn't a disability here like in all other movies, but may in fact be an advantage since high Force usage and powers is EXACTLY what the invading Whills want.

This ST could have been EU compliant too (with Legacy only declared non-canon the way Star Wars: Obsession and Coruscant Nights 1 was). The lack of a NJO was because Luke told them all to go home and stop using the Force. Chewie could have been found alive on some planet--he may even have been held prisoner by the Whills for years. Jaina could have had a background role as Holdo, or Admiral Statura, or whoever. The First Order, rather than being Empire 2.0, could have been worshippers of the Whills, with Snoke being their herald.

21. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The whole idea seems undeveloped. The Whills 'feed' on the force, yet the Whills are the force, not its progenitor.
    I go with that second quote about the Whills - they are the force. Or rather, the force is the Whills. The Midi-Chlorians are what enable beings to more easily communicate with the Whills (The force!) The more midi-chlorians one hosts, the more innate potential they have to connect with the Whills (The Force!)
    I think this is the path LFL is going down with the new canon, by introducing concepts like the Temple of The Whills and the Journal of the Whills. More appropriately put, they're the Temple of the Force and the Journal of the Force.

whostheBossk and darklordoftech like this.
  22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The Whills might be like Apocalypse and the Celestials in X-Men comics.

Basically, the Celestials (Whills) seeded Earth (the Star Wars galaxy) with the X-gene (midichlorians). Once the mutants (Jedi/Sith) reach a certain level of evolution, like the Omega level mutants like Phoenix (Chosen One like Anakin/Vader), the Celestials (Whills) know that Earth (SW galaxy) has evolved to the level worthy of a Celestial (Whill) takeover.

This is the ST I would have liked to see, rather than the OT retread we are getting.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe tie in this whole thing to how the Yuuzhan Vong could regain use of the Force?

Amon_Amarth and Darth Caliban like this.
  24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    George never would have done the Vong. We'll see about the new canon, but I hope not

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    WTF I love Disney SW now.