main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Trial of Borsk Fey'lya(and others of his ilk)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Christus Regnet, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    [​IMG]
    How does this guy get away with causing so much damage? He obstructs the protagonists again and again, is proven wrong over and over, and no one calls him on his crap. The heroes just grit their teeth and bear it, as if he's untouchable.

I strongly feel these types of characters are harmful to a story, and not necessary. They might be better suited to a comedy. It's basically a Star Wars trope that the Republic/Rebellion/New Republic, etc be incompetent and have infighting.

Is this a sign of weak writing? A newer, somewhat similar example is General Draven. Although Draven's actions aren't as severe as some of Borsk's, they are equally illogical.

Thoughts? Examples of other Fey'lyas? Or does anyone have a defense for the "Obstructionist Antagonist Ally" and their purpose in story?

Darth Caliban likes this.
  2. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    The bigger question imo is how someone like Daala could become chief of state of the GA.

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Abeloth affecting the leaders of the GA early on? :p

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Christus Regnet -- I agree with you 100%!!!!!! In mystery fiction, this kind of thing shows up and it WORKS my nerve. :rolleyes: :mad: Where the criminal is "smarter" /cleverer than the law enforcement types... :confused:

I TOO would like to hear an explanation of why Borsk was able to "ride" -- was it just to allow him the opportunity to "get enough rope" as the RL saying goes? :p

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Christus Regnet likes this.
  5. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    If I had to vote, and the candidates were Daala and Fey'lya, I would vote green party.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] :oops: :eek: Leia was hands down the best Chief of State [face_love]

7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Borsk is a politician and an immensely cynical and self interested one at that.

He sees as Luke says everyone through the prism of how they can benefit him.

8. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    I think the probelm with Borsk is something that is seen quite a bit in SW, a lack of nuance. He is introduced as an antagonistic character and basically stays that, always opposing our protagonists no matter the actual political situation. Instead of giving Borsk an actual political agenda and maybe even ocasionaly have a point, he is just a jerk and we are given the impression that he is a terrible ruler. Borsk is bad Leia and Mon Mothma are good, there is no nuance to that. Which i think wastes a lot of potnetial, Borsk could have been a more practical, political realist as opposed to Mothma and Leias more idealistic position which could have made for a more intersting dynamic showing neither side to be fully in the right.
    But instead we got this carricature of a Botan who switched beween corrupt, bigoted or simply idiotic depending on what kind of bad politican the plot requiered in this moment. And so each time when a writer wanted a bad politican to contrast Leia or Mon Mothma they simply took Borsk no matter how unlikely a yet another political comback would be for him.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  9. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    I have a fairly low opinion of mon mothma. And even Leia, when Fey'lya is around, puts up with his crap, sometimes even attempting to senatorsplain to us(through Han) why Borsk "has a point."

No, he doesn't, Leia! Come on, do something!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I just don't know why Mon Mothma allowed Fey'lya to browbeat her into issuing that warrant in Dark Force Rising...unless he fabricated it, which I wouldn't put past him.

11. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

Bernael Edit: Thread locked by moderator due to inactivity. Should you desire the thread reactivated please contact Sinrebirth, darthbernael, or Bardan_Jusik.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.