main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I imagine the kids are going to replace Timothy in this one. Also, while the ringmaster may have been antagonistic in the original one, in this one, it seems that Michael Keaton's character is the villain, while Danny DeVito may be more benevolent.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's a missed opportunity that Hugh Jackman isn't the evil ringmaster.

Ahsoka's Tano and PCCViking like this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Maybe Jackman was working on that other circus film and couldn't work on Dumbo. I still have yet to see that film.

And I'm sure the kid(s) will replace Timothy Mouse in this live adaptation of Dumbo, which would be a let down for me. I wonder if they'll have the crows as antagonists though, or if they'll be replaced by Keaton's Ringmaster. Colin Farrell looks to be one of the good guys.

PCCViking likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The Greatest Showman is a spectacle and some of the songs are catchy, but it's ultimately empty and vapid upon reflection.

Check out the previous page with Diggy and my thoughts on the mouse and crows.

Concerning Colin Farrell, he must of decided to join the circus after they saved Mr. Banks. ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and PCCViking like this.
  5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I loved The Greatest Showman My sister saw It at a friends house and told me It was really good to see It. So I did and I loved It the songs weren't grating like I thought they would be and I was really surprised to see It was based on P.T. Barnum I am glad I bought the movie! I think The New Dumbo looks spectacular I am really excited for it. Ok has anyone had problems with Strobe Lights in The new Incredibles?
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...ral-twitter-thread/ar-AAyJhH9?ocid=spartanntp
    I gotta say I am a film Buff who goes to the theater to see movies a few times a month to see all kinds of films. I also have ADHD and have never had a problem with flashing lights and sounds at the movies. I am calling BS on this one some people just like to complain. funny this is the first I have heard of this.

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    With all of Disney's films next year, something's gonna have to take a hit. We have Dumbo, Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, Aladdin, Toy Story 4, Lion King, Frozen 2, and Star War IX.

My guess is that Aladdin will get spanked pretty hard. It won't be a flop and may still make $300 million but there's already "controversy" (I don't consider the issues to be very controversial) and Guy Ritchie isn't all that well liked with his style. It will be sandwiched between Avengers 4 (shouldn't be a problem by itself) but then followed 3 weeks later by Toy Story and at that point the hype for LK will be insane. Something/someone's got to take the fall. I think it will be Aladdin first.

Guidman likes this.
  7. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    what are the problems with Aladdin? are people complaining that there using actual middle eastern actors?

8. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Supposedly, people have a problem that they aren't using enough. Naomi Scott is half Indian/Half British. And supposedly 100 out of 500 dancers in a huge ensemble are white and they are brown-washing them. Oh, and there's a white suitor for Jasmine. Yes, these are the things that people complain about these days.

9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well besides Will Smith the leads are all middle eastern that is good enough for me! I liked Gods And Kings by Ridley Scott and that had all white people in it.

Naomi Scott was born in Uganda.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Not to mention it's opening on Memorial Day weekend, which hasn't been kind to Disney films in recent years.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Which brought about a lot of controversy, especially in regards to Scott's comments on the subject matter.

12. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    @PCCViking I think that Memorial Day hasn't been kind due to circumstances and product. POTC5 was always doomed. Tomorrowland was a dud and nobody seems to want to give a new property a chance.Alice 2 was one of the worst films in history.Solo will end up better than those but the competition was horrible for it.

Personally, I am rooting for Aladdin's success.

Btw, what is Disney putting out after 2019?

Mulan-March 2020
    GOTG3-May 2020
    Indiana Jones 5-July 2020
    Possibly Dr. Strange 2-possibly November 2020

Yep-that's all she wrote! They canceled Gigantic. Supposedly there's something called Dragon Empire (sounds like a cross between Mulan and How to Train Your Dragon) and some movie about the suburbs where two brothers who lost their dad make a deal to spend one day with him. Not much going on after 2019. I am guessing there were some issues with Lasseter leaving. And for live action, we have rumors of a Cruella movie and Maleficent 2. But without an announcment at this point, a 2020 release is unlikely.

My guess is that the next HUGE announcement will come for the 2021 or 2022 live action release of Little Mermaid but they want to see how they will do the underwater stuff (not to mention making an endearing live action talking crab). Rumors of Rob Marshal directing have been just that-rumors. Unsubstantiated rumors.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    What did everyone think of Incredibles 2? I thought it was just okay. I liked it, but I think the humor this time was more for the kids, especially concerning the Jack Jack scenes / focus. The adult part aka the Elastigirl stuff was action packed, but there was little to no humor. I thought the first movie had a good mix of both and this one felt a little lopsided. It's getting huge praise and I'm happy people are enjoying it, but it didn't move me like most Pixar movies do.

The opening cartoon Bao was very moving and I very much liked it.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Did it poke fun at any superhero tropes, like the cape in the first one?

15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Not that I can recall.

16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I just got back from the Incredibles 2 it was definitely worth the wait truly an awesome incredible movie just as good as the first! it had all the same heart and great action and great Michael Giacchino score as the first one!

as for these pulsating lights that could give you a seizure I hardly noticed it may be the scene lasted 10 seconds may be 15 at the most I highly doubt people will lapse into seizures I will say again some people think they are doctors or scientists and like to complain and make stuff up. .

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's too bad. One thing I loved about the first movie is that it poked fun at some common superhero tropes. I was hoping the sequel would have more, with all the movies of the last 14 years to pick from, but the trailer didn't show them going that route. It's disappointing that the movie doesn't do that after all. :(

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, the movie does poke fun of some superhero tropes as well as tropes of fans that love/worship superheroes to a fault.

Ghost likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't want to post any spoilers, but there was one scene that reminded people of Spider-Man 2, but I didn't think it was poking fun. There were a lot of call backs to the first movie because in universe it's been 14 years for us, but just hours/days for the characters.

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    PCCViking, Diggy and Bacon164 like this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Disney wins antitrust approval to purchase most of Fox

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Incredibles 2 was a solid sequel entry in the series. It doesn't have the blast of freshness that was the original Incredibles, which in 2004 was a straight up revolutionary way to tackle the superhero genre and the animated format let it breathe so we could actually see consistently all of the craziness that superheroes could do. 14 years later we've seen a lot of superhero-ing visuals but this movie is still looking cool and unique. And it's damned funny throughout. Good villain unexpectedness in the 3rd act too.

PCCViking likes this.
  23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It was t really unexpected. Based on the first one, I had the villain pinned down fairly quickly.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It was great fun, I enjoyed it a lot. But nowhere near as good as the original one.

Obviously I'm talking about Empire Strikes Back.

PCCViking and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Incredibles 2 was an okay movie. I think just the hype for the Incredibles franchise is what made it what it has become. The final act was fun.

As of now, there are no Pixar plans after Toy Story 4 and no animated films planned after Frozen 2. I'm guessing it has to do with the departure of Lasseter (never found out what actually happened and what he specifically did).

Something about a suburban tale of two brothers longing to spend a day with their deceased Dad and unicorns living on the streets. That's the only pixar tidbit out there beyond 2019. And it's halfway through 2018 so [face_dunno]

And I am 100% sure that Disney wants to see what people think of Aquaman's underwater scenes and what Cameron does with underwater shots before daring to take on Little Mermaid live action (which, if done right, could be the top 1 or 2 live action film remake). My first change would be to make Flounder a dolphin as they can be made to look more emotional and humanistic than a bony fish. Not sure how the heck they would pull off Sebastian though. A little hard to make antennae beady eyes and mandibles human-like.