main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    What questions do you have that we can help you with?

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I am trying to write a sequence where an old Jedi is fending off an attack by someone who has stolen his lightsaber. The final bit to finish a story.

Apart from the difficulties of making it flow and be realistically timed, and also getting some emotion and character into the mix, I am wondering what tools the Jedi would have available to him.

Bear in mind this is a low tech situation. A dark alleyway. So no laser axes, blasters or such. And my Jedi is rather diminished in his powers.

A bit of mind control, Force chucking stuff, Force pushes and pulls and lifts.

A difficulty with dealing with a lightsaber is that you can't pick up a pipe and duel with it. The lightsaber just cuts through.

So, any other resources you can suggest for my old Jedi?

Even as I write this, new angles are forming in my head, so I am glad that I did.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    brodiew and pronker like this.
  3. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    Well I have only one question right now, How should I write the culture of Khaleesh?

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Straight hand to hand? Grab the opponent's wrist holding the lightsaber, use the Force to enhance strength and prevent the other from moving his/her arm, and then an uppercut to the chin, a knee to the groin, or something else that is dirty street fighting? No one would expect that from a Jedi, which is why it might be effective.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  5. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Perhaps. I don't think in this story he is very physically strong. An all out Kung Fu sequence wouldn't be right. But momentarily, at a critical moment, maybe.

6. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hi GregMcP. What about a combination of weak Force use in throwing things and using the force's intuition? aka Spider sense for a one two knock out punch. In a duel, it doesn't have to be protracted. the right combination of force use and movement could win the day.

GregMcP likes this.
  7. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Force Intuition... the exact right moment (to fire a torpedo).
    I like that. I'll let it rattle in my head.

brodiew likes this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @GregMcP - has the opponent got the lightsabre, and has the opponent been trained in the jedi forms?

The second form specifically teaches how to prevent your lightsabre being taken off you. So, if he has the jedi's lightsabre, but doesn't know Form II, your guy can turn his lightsabre off and try to get it back - Force Pull, Push, Twist round and turn it back on, etc.

brodiew likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would have the Jedi sidestepping, dodge and evade all the opponent's attacks (thanks to his combat training and Force given foresight) until the opponent makes a mistake or is just to tiered.

If the opponent don't know how to use a lightsabre you could have the Jedi giving comments about how to best use it to not injure yourself or damage others property.

Mistress_Renata, brodiew and GregMcP like this.
  10. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    I'm blanking on what a "call" would be called in SW terms... as in, Obi-Wan needed to make a quick [call] first. Given all the holotech, would they still use that term? Or has someone seen anything different?

11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Comm? As in comlink or holocomm?

12. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015
    Thanks Raissa. I kind of struggle with the phrase "make a comm" (or even "I need to comm so-and-so") though. I mean, if "call" is what has been used in other books, I'm not worried about it; I'm just wondering if there was a more standard SW-equivalent verb or phrase.

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    People have commed others in SW.

If you still struggle with that, you try "raising" or "contacting".

I would recommend finding a Youtube clip of Obi Wan getting his astromech to call the Jedi Council from Geonosis; whatever terminology he uses, use that.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Snocone likes this.
  14. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015
    Good tip; I'll check that out. "Contacting" is workable, as well.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  15. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Two very fun, over the top, characters.
    Chew the scenery. Don't hold back.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  16. Sgt.Matt

May 12, 2018
    I’m holding no bars with this story; it’s almost as emotional and heartbreaking as Logan with the action of a Tarantino film on steroids...

Basically the story deals with both Dooku and his protege, Grievous who are on the hunt for a criminal organization that has stolen an armies worth of IG-88 Lancer Droids and prototype B1-Beetle Droids. However the leader of the criminals has ties to Grievous and the loss of the only love he’s ever had in life.

GregMcP likes this.
  17. Sgt.Matt

May 12, 2018
    Although I’m having difficulty in deciding upon either showing Grievous or Dooku in the first chapter?

What do you guys think????

18. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Dooku!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  19. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I think Dooku, as well, because Grievous is such an over the top character, visually and behaviorally, that he needs a "normal":D character as lead in … then zap readers with a ch. 2 or whatever appearance of GG. [face_cowboy]

20. Makavrios

Makavrios Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2016
    I'm working on a project that is quite large in scale and I have recently realized that it is such a large endeavor that I will actually require assistance from other people. It is called the Sith Era or the Thousand-Year Rule of the Sith. Right now I have three generations of Sith written out and am working on the fourth. I'm mostly trying to get this done as a written project but, if you are interested in doing artwork, I'd be willing to try and get the story put into a comic.

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
  22. Makavrios

Makavrios Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2016
    I'm after both, honestly.

23. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Snocone likes this.
  24. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  25. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015

I liked @brodiew's reminder that The Force isn't just super-kung fu. That it can be communing with nature/the spirits/god. This helps not just because it aids my character, but because it adds a bit of emotion to the moment.

I have finished the story, and it has travelled down a path to a "noble death", but now I am unsure I want to do that. It seems a bit too obvious. So I am stewing how I might let my exhausted and old and frail Jedi live. I have ideas, but they haven't gotten coherent enough yet.

Findswoman likes this.