main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Okay, I have another question :D How do you recapture the spark for writing a story when you're nearing the end? I'm two chapters away from finishing the epic I've been working on for a year and a half, but now that the end is in sight, I feel like I'm struggling to put the words on paper. I know what I want to happen in these chapters, so that's not a problem, and I've been trying to treat this like I do when I'm writing for the Word Race--setting a very small goal of words per day and just writing without editing--but what I'm writing still feels flat to me. I know this is fanfic and no one is holding me to this, but I really would like to finish this and my personal goal is to have it finished by July 1, when I start a new DDC. Any ideas on getting this to feel like less of a slog?

Findswoman , pronker and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Raissa Baiard -- fantabulous of you to be so proactive and great idea about small word-goals @};- Sometimes I've used word /phrase prompts to reflect the theme of the chapter (if not necessarily putting it literally into the text). For example, I compiled a list of phrases/words from prior UDC prompts. Somethings like "There's Only Us" or "Taking a Stand". [face_thinking] And last but far far from least, know that yay! this 'verse is totally IT it =D= too much fun! [:D] [:D]

3. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    =D=@};- @};-Yay for goals and stick-to-it-ive-ness! :)

Random thoughts: Spend some time examining how you can rediscover joy in writing. Reflect on all the times you felt great about being a writer, go over stories you wrote you felt great about at the time, go through past posts where you talk about your writing. If the joy's either gotten lost or dwindled it's time to take a break from it or change your approach. Writing is work, but it needn't be a dreaded chore. It could be part of who you are - undeniable and fulfilling.

[face_dancing]Maybe use Tech for inspiration, like recording squibs in your own voice of "Go for it! You da man!" or listen to Rocky's theme:cool: Anyhoo, good luck![face_good_luck]

EAD to change verb, sounded too preachy!![face_blush]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Perhaps we could record those for her?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    @Raissa Baiard: What @pronker said. That girl is chock full of wisdom lately.:yoda:

I have a general question about Sabine from REBELS. I think is the place given no REBELS discussion thread, right? I've seen most of the first three seasons, though not all recently. Does Sabine have a a confidence issue? Is she self conscious in a specific area? Would she doubt her worth to a possible suitor? thank you for any and all responses. :sabine:

Edit: GACK! Sorry for all those typos, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha! Corrections made. [face_blush]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Personally, I don't think that she needs a suitor in order to evolve as a person. She is driven by her inner ethics and her core values matter more than anything else. But she hides those values under her tough chick facade. There is so much inner turmoil At her age, she is still developing them - trying to find her place in the world and make up for her past mistakes. She's an anti-hero on a thorn-covered path to heroism.

Summa summarum: I think she can evolve without a man in her life. Perhaps a suitor *later in life* would be a much better idea. Or, even better, have HER pick the man she wants. Because Sabine Wren!

brodiew, Sith-I-5 and Gamiel like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, YUM! @Ewok Poet -- that is so fantabulously rife with oomphy mush and the relationship process! In a time of quiescence, by "accident" Sabine meets someone and things CLICK and SPARK. You know whomever it is will be a person of honor and loyalty and courage. :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Precisely. :)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  9. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    I guess that's part of my problem; Darth Real Life has been really Darthy the last few weeks and I feel like joy of any sort is in short supply at the moment. Writing is usually my go-to pick-me-up, but because I'm struggling with what I'm writing, it's only making me feel more stuck which makes me unhappy which makes writing harder which makes me unhappy...and so forth and so on in a vicious cycle. I wish I knew how to break out of it. :(

I think it depends on when in the series you're setting your story, because Sabine certainly has issues of self-doubt regarding the weapons she created during her time at the Imperial Academy and the circumstances under which she left Mandalore, but most of that gets worked through in Trials of the Darksaber and the following episodes. I don't see her as having so much self-doubt, though, that she'd ever wonder "what could he possibly see in me"? particularly if the suitor in question is Ezra. I think that by the end of Season 3 and the beginning of Season 4, they've developed such a relationship of friendship and mutual trust that any relationship would be an outgrowth of that.
    Sure she can evolve without a man, but a relationship, especially if it does grow out of friendship (with Ezra or anyone else) doesn't have to stunt her growth. A romantic partnership can and should strengthen both sides. Think of the way Hera and Kanan complement one another. Loving Kanan doesn't make Hera a bit less kick shebs.

And hey, maybe Sabine and whoever it is can choose each other?

10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Thank you, EP.:) I did not mean to imply that she needed a man to evolve as a person. I was more wondering about her internal struggle along that thorny path. Though she is all kinds of bad A$$, does the touch chick facade cover any insecurities related to a possible suitor during the show timeframe or later? We can disagree on whether to ship her at all, or with whom, but I respect your opinion none the less. [:D]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent observations, @Ewok Poet @brodiew & @Raissa Baiard =D= I feel that even if Sabine does not have insecurities about her worthiness in romance, she like many SW women of action might feel during the height of Rebels activity "can't do this now" -- so depending on the timing, she could be struggling with should I pursue this or put it off, with all the inherent risks of either choice. [face_thinking]

~~

Raissa yikes! :( That is a thorny vicious cycle.

Perhaps, even if you don't post it, write a bit about one of your characters in a funk and how they themselves or their friends/family got them cheered up. :D Or -- if someone(s) in particular is working your last nerve, write up something (even if you don't post it) where you "tell them off."
    As an example, in another fandom when I was feeling like some idiots in RL were being particularly bone-headed, I wrote up a fic where someone snarked off to someone who did something especially moronic.

I'd love to do something like what the writing teams were a while back in a PM convo. Share what you're writing about, struggles with it, and cheering one another on and mutually congratulating on finally posting something. [face_laugh]
    Anyone interested in participating in that for @};- [:D] and e-chocolates, please send a PM. [face_dancing] [face_love]

Ewok Poet, Raissa Baiard and brodiew like this.
  12. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Perhaps this calls for something completely and utterly CRACK! I heard what you said about DRL and it affecting your happy escape place, but may something small and something completely off YOUR wall could bring back the spark. Forget about what you NEED to write for the moment and concentrate on something so silly and outlandish just to do something different. Have you ever considered that Zeb having a secret fear that is absolutely ridiculous? Could Ezra suddenly be obsessed with trying different hairstyles? What if Mara started a support group called EMOJI (Enigmatic Mothers of Jedi Initiates)? Hmmmm? Is it possible that Han Solo has a secret love of gardening? Who can say? Make your own silly and see if it helps! [face_clown][face_devil] 8-}

13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Aw. That is tough to hear - looking back at the OP, "want to start DDC" (sounding upbeat) and "slog" (speaks for itself) might indicate terms contrasting the two forms of ficcage? [face_coffee] One is a lengthy epic over one year in production and another is a breezy style, short format and such? Is the epic, which is not, I'm hazarding, part of any challenge or community effort, a drain on writing energy while the DDC offers more camaraderie between writers as they, too, face the Challenge?[face_cowboy]

EAD to note brodiew has a neato idea re the crack! Cut loose, if you will, allow the Moose Muse to gallop freely! *has been watching too many Animal Planet programs lately*

Raissa Baiard and brodiew like this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @pronker -- the DDC is wonderful -- it lends itself to short entries full of action, introspection, etc. because it's in an I format. It can be HILARIOUS as in 2 very unforgettable examples: "The Very Secret Diary of Darth Vader" and "Artoo's Frazzled Circuits". :) Or just plain fantabulous as in "The God of Second Chances." [face_love]

What I have found particularly fun to read and I'm sure it is equally fun to have written up is the hilarious kind of SW variant of 2 teens chatting/interacting "online." I can't remember the name but it was hilarious when EP's OC and Raissa's Luke interacted with all their Uber!exclamatory capslocking [face_rofl] =D=

15. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    I finally got a break on The Chapter from Heck, Part Deux! [face_party][face_dancing] Real Life has gotten less Darthy, which has definitely helped, and I've tried to ease up on myself a little as far as feeling that I must get this done on a deadline. I let myself play around with some snarky banter/mush for a character I've never done mush for (no, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha , it's not ready to post yet ;) ) And I had an epiphany for how to fit things together when I was grocery shopping today; oddly enough I get a lot of good ideas while shopping. It's almost as good as the shower for plotting fanfic! @brodiew , I love your crack!fic ideas, though, and I'm definitely keeping them in my "plot bunny hutch".

I think part of my problem, besides DRL, was the difference between ending a story and beginning a story. New stories are all shiny and full of possibilities, while ending them is about tying up loose ends and making sure everything fits together. I've had to kill a couple of fun side ideas that would have been too much of a tangent to keep the story on track. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can keep this momentum going for a good final post, because that last sentence can be a killer sometimes:p

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeeesss! This is why for the life of me I can't finish a story at the moment, but have like 10 started sitting open on my desktop. I'm all "Oh new idea!" and I write a bit and then that's it.

Can you write your side ideas as companion pieces? Maybe getting them out will help move your muse along, if you are still having trouble?

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Raissa Baiard -- so happy you've gotten over the sticking point. And @mavjade -- I just thought of a unique solution to the problem of getting stuck... [face_thinking] Maybe hand off the troublesome scene to someone and have it be like around robin for either the rest of the story or for just that scene -- naturally the details would be discussed via a PM. @};- E.G., if I was having trouble with a starfighter battle, I'd pass it to someone else, or if someone wanted, I could write up an introspection scene. :cool: :D

18. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    OH MY FORCE—THE EPIC IS DONE ALLCAPS ELEVENTY ONE!1!!:eek:

Now I just have to have my awesome beta reader go over it, and then...figure what I’m going to do next :D

Ewok Poet, mavjade , brodiew and 4 others like this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Handing off difficult bits of story to a backup writer, sounds like a great idea, however, you would have to be okay with the different tone and style of the backup.

Great news, @Raissa Baiard

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  20. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Great food for thought - the satisfaction of gathering the ends into a well-knit ball of fic is fulfilling in a different way than unspooling a new fic.[face_love]

After rereading a lengthy fic to construct a sequel, I was wondering if others make a list such as this to remind themselves to do better in future … :-B

This is my room of oopsies. I varied from truth or at least consistency at times. It's not as if I am Mahatma Gandhi or anything.

A great deal of Watermelon Snow takes place at night - just go with it that the penguins have fantastic eyesight along with the other animals or that the zoo is very well lit.

The times when the night was dark with "no moon," the moon hasn't risen yet. Actual new moon occurred around St. Urho's Day.

The part regarding triangulation is 95 % off the wall; I just wanted to write Faux Skipper as a balloon.

Watermelon snow could not happen with a fresh snowfall; algae would take some time to grow in Ch. 6, a day or whatever.

Could have turned into death!fic here with this discarded para from Ch. 12 -- There was no longer any sense in his skipper's eyes. "Mama," Skipper whispered and closed them forever. Contemplated seeing how the team would do without him, but Skipper is just too much fun to write.

Ch. 13, Kowalski overheard a zookeeper; how did he understand Swedish?

Ch. 31, how did Kowalski get to English on a Finnish computer with users who speak Swedish? How does he read at all when he's said he cannot? Observation: the series concentrates on getting intel from numerals and things like pie charts, non literate communications ... except when it serves the joke, like the episode entitled P.E.L.T., which was spelled out by one of the characters. Hee, I see what you did thar, writers!

In Ch. 34, Skipper smiled and waved at Agent 12 in disguise who power-chaired past penguins to go past Imelda to the primate house, why was Skipper unnoticed by Agent 12? Walrus eyesight is secondary to other senses, possibly.

Ch 41, Gavina said February 22nd when likely she would say 22nd February in British way or is this just used in writing format? @Sith-I-5 may grace with an answer. :)

Scopolamine effects in Ch. 44's end are more like a stimulant such as speed rather than the depressant scopolamine, which would end in Blowhole's gradual fading to stupor.

Siberian chipmunks are in Russia and China but not as far south as Nepal, so in Ch. 46 Blowhole was blowing their reference out his, er, blowhole.

In the final chapters, a standard 26x9x8 foot moving van interior would be pretty hard put to contain a 10x7x5 foot aquarium tank, bar, Sasquatch's swivel chair, and four consoles of the NASA variety, plus room for a melée. In my mind's eye, it is wider than my 18x14 living room. Hooboy.[face_coffee]

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Doria Vorr would be the name. :)

CONGRATSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! KRIFF, YEAH! [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    (double post)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @pronker - Yes, in Britain, standard operating procedure is Day Month Year.

When IBM PCs first turned up with their default US dates, we didn't know what the **** was going on.

Ewok Poet and pronker like this.
  24. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    I can imagine![face_flag] So if a person wanted to say November 5th, 1605, the correct way is "5th of November, 1605" or "5th November, 1605" in speech, as well as in writing; good to know the "of" is optional.

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Although I doubt we would make a federal case out of it, if you did insert an "of", I feel that that is more a historical usage. I'm more in the realm of feelings than hard knowledge, now.

5th November 1605 feels like contemporary usage, whilst 5th of November, 1605, feels more historical. There is a specific ditty about Guy Fawkes and his overnight demolition plans, "Remember, remember, the 5th of November" that I feel the "of" is either for that specific event, to make the rhyme work, or for historical dates in general.

Because we would have learned the ditty in school, we don't have a problem if someone uses "of", but leaving it out, feels more current and commonplace to me.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    pronker and Tarsier like this.