main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    That isn't what i'm talking about though.

I'm talking about him being the only human Podracer at the age of nine.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Podracing seemed to be very intuitive based and dangerous. And something Anakin did either to make money or make Watto money. So I'm guessing his abilities were from his inherently great force potential-intuitive sense, a wee bit of precognition, the ability to focus on the moment, etc... His untapped force potential allowed him to win.

Luke in Legends has an incident when he was six when a power converter or some other sort of device was missing and through intuitive sense figured into was under the sofa.

Darth Plagueis investigates untrained yet potentially powerful force users such as that gambler for instance.

So we have legends evidence that without training one is still capable of feats others might not be-a higher sense of danger, some base precognition, a sense of where oppurtunity is, etc..

Basically raw untapped abilities that manifest themselves and allow the untrained force sensitive to survive or be "lucky" make money on the galactic stock exchange, etc...

But these abilities aren't the same thing as training and actual work put into it.

Think of untrained force users like pads of clay-they are raw, untrained and malleable.

Now think of trained force users-sculptures, tested, ironed in fire, made more sophisticated and complex.

The difference between an untrained force sensitive and a trained force users is the difference between the mound of clay and the sculpture, the kid who through sheer talent makes it on the football team and the kid who has gone to camp and worked at playing tight end(or whatever sport suits your fancy) his whole life.

Raw barely tapped potential is not the same thing as training and skill.

Vizzy91 and LordDallos like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So at 8:36 at the Star Wars show Legends Noa Briqualon (Wilford Brimely from Battle for Endor) gets yet another another shout-out from Anthony and is declared canon on the high seas. It's nautical law! So on seas it counts!

SkywalkerShine and Outsourced like this.
  4. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    So I get Disney logic.

The EU was cumbersome, it was full of contradictions, was full of some terrible stuff and mostly importantly.....it would have constrained ideas for a new trilogy.

However there are iconic parts of the old EU and bits many fans love.

Personally I think some of it did have to be thrown out. But not all of it.

If I had been in charge I would of done this:
    As a General rule kept most of the stuff up to the Thrawn Trilogy.
    Scrapped any part that was basically terrible or was full of major contradictions.

Basically I would of reduced the EU to:

Dark forces
    Shadows of the empire.
    Tie fighter and X wing games.
    X-wing books
    Zhan Trilogy.

My opinion of course.

How would you of handled the old EU?

kalzeth likes this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    This thread already exists and is stickied towards the top of the forum. Merging now.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I honestly thought they were going to amputate the EU at after Endor and keep everything before that but, honestly, that would have been a half-measure and still have created contradictions. And besides, one thing I do like with a canon reset izzat the Death Star plan heist is just ... Rogue One. That's it. Not, like, the multiple plans we got in the EU (which sort of makes every instance of it kind of meaningless)

Psychenous likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I assume the R1 heist compliments the other heists in my mind. It’s somewhat unlikely the Empire would keep the entire plan somewhere unless it was insanely fortified - but even then the Rebels would still have gone for all their various plans to obtain the plans just in-case.

But it’s definitely a stronger story than the other efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't mind the multiple plans theory, it makes an Evil Empire evil and all, I just feel it sorta downgrades the dramatics of each narrative if there's another plan round the corner. Rogue One does a really good job of selling the "this is our one chance to make a real difference" narrative.

Psychenous likes this.
  9. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    At this point I’m glad Disney’s stories are separate. I’m definitely not happy that the EU is A: non-canon and B: basically stagnant. My ideal situation is the two being in separate canons but borrowing from each other. As the new stories release the EU could incorporate elements from them. SWTOR has basically done this, but we don’t have anything else. Wouldn’t it be nice if we had both canons in full force?

Dannik Jerriko and spicer like this.
  10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd take Rogue One over any story in Legends dealing with the Death Star plans theft. I can see how R1 can fit with Legends, but if I have to choose only one story, I'd go for R1 anytime.

IMO yes it would. Other franchises have that going for them, why not Star Wars?

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    They could have continued the old timeline and the new I think without too much of a logistical or marketing issue.

They wouldn't have even had to have similar output-Disney could devote more time and resources to the Nucanon while maybe 1-2 or 3 legends books were released every year or every six months or something.

Two timelines that don't interact or borrow from each other would have worked well.

I think most old EU fans would have been happy with that sort of arrangement.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  12. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    In Marvel the movies and comics are seperate and everyone understands. Decades of comics aren't wiped away to give the MCU space. The MCU has its own canon which borrows from the comics and the comics borrow from the films. It's really amazing to see characters as obscure as the Guardians of the Galaxy being beloved by audiences. If the SW films had been done like Marvel we couldve seen our favorite EU characters become pop culture icons whilst the EU remains safe from retconning.
    What a damn shame.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah I think the EU could have continued and there not been any major issues.

Kev-Mas_Colcha and Sinrebirth like this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm still amalgamating away.

There has not really been anything contradictory for some time, to be honest, with Legends.

Ewok Poet and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.
  15. Psychenous

Psychenous Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2017
    How is the amalgamation going by the way. I would have thought Solo would be a major issue since his backstory is so heavily covered in the EU (two trilogies, the Corellian books etc)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    In my humble opinion-amalgamating or reconciling the timelines is simply not possible. An interesting intellectual exercise, but something that collapses into impossibility if subjected to scrutiny. But I do admire @Sinrebirth's imagination and sheer fortitude in seeking to make everything fit harmoniously together.

I do think continuing legends alongside the NuEU would have been workable-as for the standard counterargument of "it would confuse the casuals"-well legends and new canon books adorn the same shelf at Barnes and Noble-to be sure some might be initially confused, but the header makes everything clear. I would also think SW fans interested enough in the EU new, old or both could tell the difference.

spicer and Anedon like this.
  17. Psychenous

Jan 13, 2017
    I know a lot of people whose interest in Legends was born out of the controversy started by the Disney purchase of Lucasfilm and the decanonisation of the EU so it is not like the EU is some old relic that new generations of Star Wars fans will ignore in favour of the new content. And if Disney and Lucasfilm really thought that then they would not be reprinting so much of it under the Legends banner. So I think there is a market for continuing the EU by tying up loose ends that were rushed in the comics and publishing Sword of the Jedi and other books for a start. I am hoping that eventually they will decide to do this sometime after Episode IX is released. It would be a tremendous gift to the fans and I think it would make the canon easier to swallow for die-hard EU fans who were ill disposed toward the new content beforehand.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I have always advocated a finale trilogy that is epic in scope(or at least tries to be) and wraps up all loose ends in as satisfying a manner as possible-have Luceno or Stover write it and that would be a wonderful gift to EU fans.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And set up things for the Legacy comics as well.

20. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Isn´t that already a contradiction? Giving a satisfying end to the pre Legacy stories and setting up Legacy? It would be the same as many fans felt with TFA when it came out saying it took away the happy ending of RotJ. Its the same with an end for Legends, this end will ever have the undertone of "yeah now they are celebrating but soon the Krayt will come back, the empire and GA will fight a war and most our heroes fought for will be destroyed and its to their descendants to bring about the true finale".
    Also with some characters like Allana the timeline would be very close to justify them having a peacfull death instead of being murdered at some point. Especially as Allanas promised golden age of peace would make the imperial mission illogical, suggesting Allana died a considerable time before Legacy for these worlds to fall into poverty so they would need "saving" by the empire.
    So unless Legacy would have been moved to infinites, which apparently was to some extend at least discussed among the writing team, giving the pre Legacy characters a happy ending doesn´t really work. Legacy is the finale, so anything trying to be a conclusion before it would kinda shallow and unfullfilling, kinda as if you had a story set in WW1 and try to give it a conclusion by claiming that it truly was the war to end all wars, when in reallity everyone knows things will go downhill again soon after.

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It really depends on when Allana becomes queen. And how long she reigns. I always figured the imperial mission and Krayt's scheming would be kept at bay by her rule.

22. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Sure that´s the point I was trying to make. For the empire to be a major power again, through the imperial mission, as well as Krayt building a powerbase and infiltrating the Fellpire. For any of this Allana needs to be out of the picture a considerable time before the Sith- Imperial war starts in 127(where Allana would be 91, which should easily be reachable for a member of the upper class who is a powerfull forceuser to boot, in an era of peace), which would likely mandate her being killed at some point wether by Krayt or Hapan Nobles.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well she is ten in 45 ABY-assume she becomes queen at thirty and reigns for thirty years. Or forty.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Legends Last Jedi novel paperback reprint actually has an entire back section of the book devoted to Legends materiel, possibly for people who grabbed the book thinking it was related to the movie Last Jedi

Features a bonus section following the novel that includes a primer on the Star Wars expanded universe, and over half a dozen excerpts from some of the most popular Star Wars books of the last thirty years!

25. Psychenous

Jan 13, 2017
    I haven't collected this book yet. I may have to make sure it is this edition when I do so I can have the extra content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.