main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So a non-grounded movie with a character not true to the source material. Two strikes.

cerealbox and DarthIntegral like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    DC will rise again. Remember the dark ages of Marvel, pre-Blade/X-Men? Remember that? REMEMBER?

*Tim Robbins duck noises*

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I think DC tried to move too quickly into the shared universe after Man of Steel. They needed a proper Superman sequel before trying to move in the shared universe direction. They could even have explored the same theme in Batman v Superman for the sequel with Lex Luthor having a role (only excluding Doomsday, instead having a Metallo or Conduit type villain).

Erkan12 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think the MCU multi-movie strategy worked better as a marketing than narrative device.

Most of the characters as they interacted in Avengers were pretty one note: anachronistic Viking Guy, wholesome American guy, sexy secret agent, etc. Hard to argue each needed a feature length film for the audience to grasp who they were.

The story itself wasn’t that deeply related to what cane before in a sense that required previous viewings, and the enemy was an endlessly respawning video game.

DC failed because it’s films were dumb, not the decision to move into team ups early. No amount of Solo films can build up excitement for watching a villain hold a jar of urine.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Wocky doesn’t like several comic book movies. Excuse me while I die of shock [face_plain]

Darth_Invidious and Yodaminch like this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don’t, but that wasn’t my point. I’m saying the Avengers film didn’t really require the earlier films to tell its story.

You can start with a shared universe or build up to it. What matters in either case is telling a good story in that universe.

MrZAP and The2ndQuest like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The 3rd act baddie is a respawning faceless fodder but I'd argue Loki's whole motivation for his actions in The Avengers is pretty much established in Thor. Probably the most important movie before Avengers, I'd say it's the most direct sequel to any of the first few movies.

PCCViking likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Oh good, we can get back to annoying fan casting of roles Disney doesn't own the rights to yet, and even worse crossover scripts that fans think are can't miss ideas. I was worried those were gone forever.

Yodaminch likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    But...

[​IMG]

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't really think the MCU interconnective films were a market strategy, but it certainly worked to help market their films. The MCU shared universe isn't really a brilliant idea either, but rather (to me), puzzling why it took so long for this idea made into reality. I mean, WB/DC had like a 40 year start with making a quality blockbuster super hero films with Superman: The Movie and Batman (1989). But for some reason, the powers at be never felt like it was a good idea to have Superman and Batman in the same film. Kevin Feige/MCU just had faith in the established world of Marvel comics and adapted into film.

As for Avengers: Infinity War and the heroic characters being one note as a stand alone film?... Well, yeah. Not much different from any franchise film with multiple sequels. Thus, the story revolved around Thanos and his "heroic journey."

And I agree that DC failed and the quality and story telling in their films were lacking, and thus people got fired and move out of executive positions. But, I wouldn't say their franchise is dead or in need of a reboot. They're pretty much in the same state as the X-Men franchise after X3: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Aquaman looks promising and could help right the ship for the folks over at DC.

12. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Really hope that if Disney gets Fox, it won't can James Mangold's X-23 solo movie.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    C'mon Disney, swoop in there and save our Merry Mutants from Comcast Sentinels. I don't want a Scrubs/X-Men crossover, I want Avengers/X-Men!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No I'd rather a Scrubs/X-Men crossover.

heels1785 and MrZAP like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Black Widow directors list gone from almost 50 to 3 so we're getting there!

https://deadline.com/2018/06/black-...male-directors-scarlett-johansson-1202414395/

I wonder if they'll flashback origin Natasha if they recast or go the CGI de-aging route (which Marvel has done quite a lot of lately and seems to in store for a lot more with Captain Marvel). ScarJo is pretty darn ageless but they would have to take her back to Ghost World or Lost in Translation era. Which, frankly, I think she could pull off without any CGI trickery. Is she de-aged in the flashback bits in Age of Ultron?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Huh... my HS classmate is one of the three on the shortlist. Considering I didn't even know she was making movies that's pretty impressive... lol

(it's a family business for her, this isn't that surprising)

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Re: bold I do not even think ScarJo is 34 yet (born in 1984) so ageless is um [face_laugh]. Don't mind me, I am cranky about something else entirely (yes my current avatar gives it away).

Anyway, I will probably go see the film so... I do not care what they do (although they will get my butt in a seat more than once if Winter Soldier is in it)

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    To be fair, I think the Age of Ultron flashbacks establish that her graduation ceremony from the Red Room takes place at most when she's 18. So if we're getting any of that I'd figure it'd be a recast or CGI trickery.

[​IMG]

But, on the flipside, we may not have to go back to the Red Room if only because the flashback really tells you all you need to know.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    True. I'd prefer they show her on some missions since that AoU flashback pretty much established the training of the Red Room; now the conditioning ? That could be a possibility too (they could always use stuff from Brubaker's Winter Soldier work (both on Cap and in Bucky's series) and just apply that to Natasha.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They certainly did think about it- it's just that various film series incarnations and standalone crossovers imploded in one way or another.

-If Superman Lives had happened and Batman & Robin hadn't killed the Bat series, there's no doubt they would have crossed over eventually (B&R name dropping Metropolis in a film that would have come out shortly before Superman Lives would have seems too much of a coincidence, for example).

-Batman vs. Superman: Asylum was planned for 2004 but canned, ironically, in favor of doing solo movies for each character first.

-That led to Batman Begins and Superman Returns. Which would have been followed up by The Dark Knight and (not a reboot) Man of Steel. But SR wasn't the hit WB wanted and then TDK steered the Nolanverse into such a grounded territory that it was incompatible with the rest of the DCU.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    But you keep seeing them, giving a litany of unbelievably lame excuses as to why you're "forced" to see them and make many of us here do massive eyerolls. Nobody can force you to see or do anything you don't want to do. If your significant other, child, pal or whatever wants to see one of those movies, you could easily say "don't want to, those movies "insult my intelligence" so please respect that and can we do something else?". But no, you go regardless, you "fall asleep" and then come here to debate something you didn't see coz you were asleep.

So, you either haven't a shred of force of will and are "forced" by others to do something you don't want to do or, maybe, you just secretly like those movies and simply come here to be you and troll. So which is it? Either way, from where I sit, neither option makes you look good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Diggy likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I value the friendships with those I’ve seen these films with—one of whom is someone I’ve been interacting with since infancy, enjoys films, and otherwise is on a very different schedule than mine, for instance—far more than I do your opinion.

I will gladly accept your opinion that I’m some sort of hypocrite.

tom likes this.
  24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I cannot wait to see how that trickles down to the consumer as far as pricing. :rolleyes: Otherwise, should be interesting.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You value the friendship of these people, and thus repeatedly do something you do not like. So why don't these people value you?

You're a shill, jabs.

Darth_Invidious likes this.