main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I have insufficient privileges to post?!?!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by bluealien1, Apr 1, 2018.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Any extended locking would solely be due to the need for a mourning period over the loss of my Kenobi film...

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, declare a period of mourning for Kenobi.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I second that mourning period.

Side note, as an addendum to the spinoffs being put on hold, the idea is that Disney/LFL will focus on the next trilogy, which will either be directed by Rian Johnson or the Game of Thrones guys, so...

Anticipate some Rian Johnson-related ****-throwing whenever you decide to reopen it. And subsequent bans, since people can’t say they weren’t warned.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    :_| I just read the novel Kenobi in EAGEREST hopes that there would be a movie so that I could go YUM! [face_dancing] and =P~ ;)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    KEEEENNNNOOOBBIIIII!!!!!!!!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :_|

That was the ONE spinoff I was most looking forward to!!!!! :(

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    Collider seems to have been first on the scene with this.

What about polite winks and nudges?

godisawesome and Scavver like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, you have the consolation of having read an awesome book.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Ah.... the old argument about how to argue about SW... comms classic.

G-FETT likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Dude, that thread exists so that we don't have to deal with the (god awful) movie forums... leave us alone.

Point Given , Darth Guy and G-FETT like this.
  10. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I am surprised that they didn’t at least try to change one of the variables they had introduced as unique first before putting the concept of spinoff on hold entirely. Unless, of course, their own research showed that the general public beyond the hardcore fandom weren’t all that interested in any smaller scale spinoffs set in the past short of something being as important to Star Wars lore at the magnitude of explaining the Death Star weakness as deliberate, featuring Vader in his prime, and a father and child story with large scale action or something.

Releasing a Star Wars movie less than 6 months after another was a brand new variable. Why not change that first and see what happens? Recasting a role as synonymous with Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones was to him was a new variable. Why not trust that bringing Ewan back would offset for that? Going small scale for Star Wars was a new variable. Why not just increase the stakes on Kenobi more with a bigger hook? Releasing with all of these challenges right after people were awed by Infinity War and less intrigued by small stakes storytelling was a new variable. Why not position Kenobi further away from one of the highest grossing action epics of all time?

Why not try those changes first?

I sort of expected this on some level though sadly and alluded to it in the Solo thread. I said there that I thought they’d aim for less backstory movies with different actors playing younger versions & go more into future stories where the fates weren’t known as well & where more liberties could be taken to better appeal to more mainstream audiences at the expense of the hardcore fandom that weren’t enough to prop up Solo above Star Trey Beyond numbers. Disappointing though. And a decent-sized blow to one of my theories for IX too.

11. The Last Cookiemonster

The Last Cookiemonster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    See in my case... my discussion point is my personal experience and speculation that excitement for the Star Wars IP relies on the solid backbone of the core saga being reasonably solid in attempting to tell a coherent, linked story, and that TLJ broke that massively, where I think that the IP is in danger if people try to just move on without discussing ways to undo and twist the events of TLJ into an actual story.

i.e. I think moving on and just hoping the next movie being good will fix it is a fallacy, and could doom the franchise, the massive flop of the audience just not showing up to Solo for what was once an impeachable IP is a big big warning sign to me, along with other indicators about the franchise which I want to discuss, and hone in on what people didn't like about TLJ to work out how to undo it. (IMO they need to go to the lengths that the X-Men franchise did to save itself after X3. In their case they used time travel. I'd love to see something like the ST galaxy being an alternate galaxy where Luke killed Vader, Yoda truly was crazy, the Jedi were awful, lightspeed works as a weapon, Han and Leia split up, their son turned evil and undid everything they did, Luke lost a bunch of students to the darkside and was a family killer, etc, - this is a failed galaxy where Anakin Skywalker never brought balance to the force, leading to increasingly strange aberrations in the force - such as its awakening where it tried to play out the Luke Skywalker destiny one more time in Rey (to explain all the forced 'reboot' scenes like the throne room, which currently seem to have no purpose other than nostalgia mining), which serves as a prequel story for how Kylo Ren and his force aberrations (kids like broom boy rounded up) are going to invade the 'real' Star Wars galaxy, where Luke Skywalker has an actual successful Jedi Order, Han and Leia were together, Han is probably a legit business man instead of stuck in action figure mode in his old age, etc. There's an entire fantastic opening there to explore a new dynamic of different force systems and galaxies at war with each other, different timelines of Skywalkers, something never done before, and it takes so many problems and turns them on their head into plot points which serve as the foundation. But ignoring and moving on? That to me is a potential death sentence for this franchise, it needs a solid backbone to keep coming back to every time the surrounding material such as games or shows is good or great or bad, the core needs to get back to being a much stronger base than it now is).

12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Even here, I can't escape the Solo Box Office thread.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It haunts me. I got ice cream yesterday and heard people talking about it.

14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    S p O o K y

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    You stick a finger in the wall, the water just pours out somewhere else.

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    How long before someone opens a thread "Kathleen Kennedy declares war on Star Wars fandom"?

17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    sic. Does Lucasfilm Need New Leadership?

Darth Smurf and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    From what I've seen of the movie forums I think that's largely the situation already but of course it never hurts to be reiterated and to keep being reiterated.

I've not seen any personal nastiness directed at KMT in the movie forums (or any other member of the TLJ cast for that matter) - Not saying it's never happened here but I've certainly never seen it.

Generally it's Rian and KK who get most ire but again the vast majority of that it directed at their work/professional decisions as opposed to Rian and KK on a personal level.

On that side of things I do think this community is very good and is one of the things that already sets us apart from the personal viciousness that happens on social media for example.

Been there, done that and got the T-Shirt... ;)

19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Sorry man, mods ain't gonna do squat. In fact, I've been told that they they won't. What was it, again, @anakinfansince1983? Oh right! "That culture is not likely to change, and you may decide that it's not a fun area of the forum for you to post, which is your choice, there are many other areas of the boards." The head of the JCC, @JoinTheSchwarz agrees. "...every attempt to change it has proven to be misguided and a complete, total, absolute failure." So yeah, Mods in the JCC aren't really about enforcing Board rules. That rule about no trolling? Doesn't apply to JCC. I applaud your efforts, G-Fett, I really do, but as Schwarz told me, "If the extremely low level of teasing in those two threads is too much for you, maybe the place is simply not for you."

BTW, thanks for the quotes, guys! Really inspiring stuff from our staff. Let's all give them a BIIIIG round of applause for being SUCH exemplary members...
    [​IMG]

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well I've actually saved a few quotes over recent months that I've seen while browsing the JCC Movie thread and have been pretty shocked by what I've read.

I'll have to dig them out some time (probably wouldn't be appropriate to post in this thread as this is more for the movie forums)

What I would say is that the thing about "low level teasing" is that it's fine when your dishing it out but it's not so fun when your on the receiving end. And what one person might think is "just a bit of fun teasing" another person might find very upsetting, degrading etc so it's impossible to judge individual cases without knowing all the facts (which the moderators do and I of course do not)

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, what exactly is the topic of this thread? Seems lie a general whiny catch-all.

Darth Guy and Darth Downunder like this.
  22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The moderators (not unreasonably) want the users to behave themselves... But only in some threads/forums it seems... [face_laugh]

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's really about this:

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Oh,, come on.... you know the jcc has its own flavor and always has. That's the way it is.... there are tons of other forums to choose from, it it doesn't suit your taste.

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’m not following what your getting at?

I only occasionally post in the JCC, but from my experience as long as someone is not a complete arse it’s fine. And the same general posting etiquette of respond to the post and not the poster still seems to apply. That seems to be enforced reasonably enough, eh.