main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #26-31: The Awakening (6/6 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Well, this series is indeed ending with #31. I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, they can try something new. On the other hand, I really want more stories set during this time period. There's still so much to flesh out.

I love that. What a cute twist.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I had a long plane ride yesterday, so I finally got around to reading some of the older Journey to TFA stuff, including the book that has Threepio telling Jess Pava a story about Luke. It's funny that the opening bit with Jess has her not really liking dealing with droids. Guess there's another reason why the droids in this comic don't like dealing with her, either.

revan772 likes this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Such a stunning issue. Storywise, artwise, - all of it was perfect. I am still amazed how Charles Soule can essentially recount events from TFA and make them feel so fresh and exciting. I will greatly miss this series, but it truly is one of the greats. :D

--Adm. Nick

MrDarth0 and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    As soon as I got my hands on the comic, I flipped to the page with the reveal on who is talking in the story. With that out of my brain and out of the way, it really makes the first part of this comic more interesting, especially with all the details of events we already saw in TFA. I really enjoyed it and as it has been said above, the art is excellent.

As for the rest of the issue, I liked Poe and Finn's interaction as well as Rey and C3P0's. Their dialogue felt very true to their characters.

I was semi worried that we'd then get a recap of the events of TLJ, but thankfully we're not and it seems we're getting a separate story that was happening concurrently and I'm looking forward to reading about it.

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. Yeah looks like it is going to end not with the events of TLJ but what Black Squadron was doing during that time. And boy oh boy seeing these Rey, Finn, and Poe interactions makes me really giddy for the comics we will be getting here in the next couple years.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I agree! Their interactions are superb. They have always had great chemistry and it's translating into the comics nicely. I can't wait to see these characters in more stories. That's why they need a time gap. I want to see their relationship develop beyond the movies.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That kinda depends on who's writing the comics.

Really like the narrator's identity, that little detail helps me be inclined to buying an Omnibus.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Just read the issue. A few other tidbits of note:

• Rey needs Threepio to translate the old Jedi books. We even get a sentence or two from it.
    • We actually see Rose. From Finn's comments it doesn't seem like she's in a coma or anything, just sleeping.
    • Statura is seen in the Resistance base during the evacuation of D'Qar. Which seems to quell the theory that he had already left the planet in between TFA and TLJ. So does this mean he died in the various battles throughout TLJ? Or is he just always off-screen during the events of TLJ?
    • One of R2's lines seems to be a nod to the theory that the events of the movies are being recorded by R2 to then be told to the Shaman of the Whills for inclusion in the Journal.

In the big Resistance control room scene, were any of the background characters intended to be from the movies? I thought I saw Tallie there, but I'm not sure on the rest.

10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I’ve been following this comic off and on. Generally I’ve thought it was dull, so I was pleasantly surprised with this issue (#28). Not any of the Rey or Finn stuff, or the TFA recap, but the Black Squadron stuff suddenly seems relevant and intriguing. It was weird that RJ didn’t use them in his movie, but I’m all for the comics showing us what they’ve been up to as a set up for IX. I had heard that some new EU source confirmed that they were off doing something for Leia during the movie, but I’m thrilled to see it confirmed in a comic. I kind of wish the comic went with them instead of just sitting on the MF while people talk, but it does get me excited about what’s to come. Watching the setup for their mission can’t be for nothing.

11. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Technically we should probably see Zay Versio in these last few issues. At the very end of the Battlefront dlc Leia sent her on the exact same mission that she sent Black Squadron on. Will be interesting to see if the last few issues connect those two storylines.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    The ending might be to help set up Ep9 somewhat. My guess is, we'll see them gather with the Falcon survivors and maybe one or two who'll get revealed by casting as being present in Ep9.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I love the notion that Artoo and BB-8s beep boop conversations are actually rather poetic and flowery. It may not be an EXACT translation but maybe it is cuz Threepio talks about how maudlin it is. Still cool to see TFA play out in big splash panels (And an update on Rey and the sacred texts and Rose's condition), although I personally thought this whole book (or at least this arc) we would be Introduced to Elo Asty and then feel something sad when he got toasted in TFA (and the issue reacp) but we never got that, kinda bummed we never got to know him beyond his line "But no damage!!!"

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't think we're going to see a crossover with the DLC of Battlefront, though that would be interesting (though I'd be more interested if there was a second DLC campaign that linked up with the comic after everything's done). Inferno Squadron got sent out into the Outer Rim, while we know from the TLJ novelization that Black Squadron got sent to meet with the New Republic's surviving fleet commanders, who would presumably be in the Core.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Maybe, but remember that key NR worlds like Mon Cala and Sullust are in the Outer Rim. If I were an NRDF commander trying to regroup, I'd first flee to a safe position to take stock of the situation and see what friendly forces I could link up with.

Hell, I just would love to SEE some of these forces... maybe one day! [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

16. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  17. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    8 pages of Shriv appearing and being cooler than Poe.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    The Positive Fan likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For all I see why the book is ending, I can't help but think it's a missed opportunity.

Would it have taken so much to run this book all the way up to Ep IX? (or beyond?) All it'd need is a carefully allocated piece of the post-TLJ story, wouldn't have to touch on anything big but would then be a book that runs alongside the entire ST.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I doubt the comic writers know what Ep9 is due to the secrecy Abrams seems to favour to the extreme.
    Would be nice though, but who knows, maybe we'll get a glimpse of the hope that Leia gives to Rey (and maybe a couple of cameos at the end will hint their inclusion in Ep9).

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    They don't need to know much though. All they need do is say to Soule, you can cover A, B, C the rest? Do. Not. Touch.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I would have loved to see more post TLJ content but probably not going to happen until, like, maybe 4 months before Ep IX hits ala Shattered Empire / Aftermath came out in Sept. But I'm guessing we'll get getting a Resistance branded comic cuz the biggest shame would be if we don't have any ST era content for over a year.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I really hope Snap and the rest survived the mission... that cliffhanger got me exactly how they wanted it to. I need the next three issues!

23. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
  24. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    :_|:_|:_| I need the rest of this series now. This will be a long three months...

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think Snap will die, Greg Grunnberg is JJ's buddy, he's definitely in Episode IX. Jess less clear if only because not sure if Jessica Henwick is in Episode IX and I don't think Soule would know either. The other Black Squadron members are definitely on the probable list cuz they don't have actor counterparts.