main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It might be good.

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Whatever the case the Underwater stuff shown in those images has me jazzed. Aquaman will be a nice way to end this year.
    I approve of Orm's issues with the Surface World too and his Swoosh hairdo.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    For starters, it's going to be different from Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice because, according to Zack Snyder, that wasn't Doomsday in BvS.

Zack Snyder Confirms Batman v Superman Fan Theory About Doomsday
    And the animated film from about 10 years regarding The Death of Superman was severely lacking other characters from the DC universe. This newest iteration includes the core members of the Justice League; Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman and Wonder Woman. A better adaptation of the source material than the one from 10 years ago.

Here's the trailer, it looks pretty awesome to:

And it would appear, unlike the animate film of The Death of Superman from 10 years ago, Superman would be coming back to life. There have been leaked footage of a follow up film, The Reign of Supermen, making the buzz feeds. So perhaps, this latest of iteration of The Death of Superman will have A Funeral for a Friend as its epilogue. I personally didn't like The Death of Superman from 10 years because of all the lacking elements, and therefore I'm looking forward to this new one. I'm expecting it to debut at SDCC in a few weeks, which I'll have the opportunity to attend.

At first, I was kind of turned off of the idea of Orm being some type of eco-warrior avenger because it's trite and therefore not very creative. However, it does have substance. And I became more in favor of the idea after seeing this video the other day.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Is this some kind of trick? Every single video linked in your post is just coming up from as "Honest Trailers: Jurassic Park 3."

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Hahaha. That's awesome.

Not as good as Juliet's "Rock Around The Clock" but it was pretty great. I thought you were perhaps making some sort of a wry commentary by saying how excited you were and then citing as evidence a video mocking a terrible film.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Snyder will do anything for attention.

The DC Animated films have been great, recently. I think Death of Superman looks good - it's looks to be a different take than Doomsday from 2007.

8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Watched it today via... er... sources

I enjoyed it

Far superior to Doomsday

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, it was totally unintentional. I have like multiple YouTube browser tabs open, and I kept "copying and pasting" the wrong one.

Yeah, I've been enjoying most the DC Animated films recently. However, Batman Ninja, IMO was pretty bad.

But there's some truth in what Snyder said, in that, technically it's not Doomsday from the source material. However, it would be difficult to introduce Doomsday/Death of Superman with the current DCFU and Cavill's Superman. There would have to be a Days of Future Past type of reboot, which is allowing the X-Men franchise to redo The Dark Phoenix Saga.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I have to say as a huge Green Arrow fan, I truly dislike how obnoxious they became with Ollie’s sense of social justice in the current comics. It always worked before that, but I feel it is too heavy handed imo, so I can relate to your initial feelings about Orm. I think having Orm take this stance makes him very relatable not just to the audience, but I would imagine the denizens of Atlantis and all sea life too.

I trust James Wan to do something epic and I am looking forward to being transported under the sea come December. At this point, I am in Orm’s corner as I haven’t seen enough of Monoa’s Arthur to get my brain around him yet (my dislike of Joss Whedon means I will probably be waiting a long time before I see the first JL). All that said, I like Jason and think I will like his take on the angsty 90s Aquaman (that run and Dan Jurgens follow up is my favorite Aquaman series), so if they honor what Peter David wrote even slightly, works for me.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It was weird, and I won't pretend to have totally understood it all, but I didn't think it was necessarily bad. It also wasn't a 9.7/10, as IGN scored it.

It was also a totally different team that made that movie, so it's more of an outlier, good or bad.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Presumably Orm will be an eco-terrorist with plans to flood all land and kill all of humanity. So I can’t see being on his side.

Why can’t everyone just sit around a table, have some tea and talk it out?

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Perhaps something got lost in the translation, but I felt the style of dialogue was exposition heavy as the characters would explain what and why they were doing certain things, as well as what they were observing. I found it very tedious and for me, ruin the pace and flow of the film. It was very much in style with most anime from about 20 or so years ago. Additionally, I don't feel the animation was very cohesive, as there were different styles during various parts of the film. However, there were elements that reminded me of the comic story Old Man Logan with various members of Batman's rogue gallery were territorial shoguns.

Master_Lok and heels1785 like this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Why not indeed?

Since it is comic books and not RL, I can suspend my usual ugh for such a person, Patrick Wilson is a great actor, so I can always use that as my excuse to be pro-Orm right now.:p

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

Oh, shut the **** up.

BigAl6ft6, dp4m and heels1785 like this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I can't say I feel the same way, since WB/DC did Snyder dirty. I mean, Snyder suffered a tragic personal loss when his daughter committed suicide during the post production of Justice League, but instead of delaying the release of the film, the studio brings in Joss Wheadon to hack up and put in his own "body parts" to the film. And according to a report, the studio executives did not want to push the release date back of Justice League because they wanted to ensure their bonuses.

From Cineblend.com:
    I really don't blame Snyder for putting his vision to screen. I rather blame the studio. I mentioned this before that Snyder was "miscast" as director for Man of Steel; especially since he expressed no interest in doing "the Big Blue Boy Scout" version of the character as noted in this Herocomplex/LA Times.com article:
    Despite that, WB/DC decided not only to give Snyder control of Superman, but laying the ground work for the DCFU in giving him the helm for Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and (at the time), Justice League Part 1 and 2. So blaming Snyder for putting his vision onto screen is like blaming the scorpion for stinging the frog from that well know fable, "The Scorpion and The Frog" in that Snyder did what is "in [his] nature;" which included him saying in his [potential] movie, Batman would "get raped in prison" and he hated when "Christopher Reeve looks in the camera and smiles" at the audience at the end of Superman: The Movie.

I find the DC Synder-verse very disagreeable, but I like him talking about his visions, his thoughts about the characters and what would have been.

And in other Zack Snyder news, the never dying story of "The Snyder Cut of the Justice League" continues.

DOES THE ZACK SNYDER CUT OF JUSTICE LEAGUE EXIST?

I would expect there is in existence an initial/assembled working cut (aka the "rough cut") of Zack Snyder's Justice League without all the special effects and other post production treatments (i.e. final editing, scoring, sound mixing, etc.), much like many other films such as Black Panther, which reports are noting is around four hours long. And it should be noted that there's a very distinctive difference between a "rough cut" of a film and a "director's cut" of a film. And that's basically what Jay Oliva was saying in his tweets, in that, there's most likely a rough cut that Snyder finished, but it's a long way from being his final "director's cut." Therefore, the "Justice League Snyder Director Cut" does not exist in that aspect.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There is almost always an assembly cut that is done before the full editing process is put underway. "Highlander Endgame" contains such a cut on the Region 1 DVD and Blu-Ray. So, yeah, I'd say that what Olivia said is true. But as to what happened with "Superman II', that was a film that had a completed version that was then edited with an incomplete version that only had a small budget to complete a few scenes and effects. WB is not going to spend more money on "Justice League", which I would wager would cost more to finish than "Superman II" did.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    STHU. :p

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...wn-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

WB/DC didn't do him dirty at all. That's revisionist history...

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    oh this is gonna hurt

i agree with dp4m

pardon me I’m off to the loo

Rogue1-and-a-half and dp4m like this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, that's a very credible article dp4m, because if there was any takeaway from comparing Justice League, The Avengers, and Man of Steel, it was most certainly that in regards to the new scenes in the former, "the directing is minimal and adhered to the style and tone and the template that Zack set."

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, it absolutely feels weird to trash talk Snyder after that horrific tragedy his family went through. Clearly, I wish that kind of thing on no one and can't even begin to understand the suffering of having a child end her own life. I certainly bear no personal animosity toward the man and I hope he and his family are able to survive this tragedy and find a measure of happiness again. And, much as I dislike a lot of Snyder's stylistic, tonal tics, I do think it's hard to put serious blame on him for any of Justice League's shortcomings. I'm not saying there's a super-awesome Snyder version that we never got, but it's hard to think the movie would have come out great given the whole post-production Whedon thing. That's all totally sincere.

But still . . . we speak as, I don't know, commentators or something. I just find the notion of "that totally wasn't the real doomsday guys psyche got you gooooooooooddddd!" to just be so stupid.

Jedi Merkurian and dp4m like this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The enormity of my contempt for this is just. . .words fail me.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    You . . . think it's a good idea to have another Doomsday?

24. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    No, no. My contempt is for Snyder’s remark.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018