main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo box-office discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    The media is really just making everything worse I hate that they say it's fans and don't even mention the possibility that it could be just some people who like causing trouble as well as idiot fans. No it's only the fans that are causing issues.

They are right that it doesn't belong to us however the only person that it really belonged to was Lucas and after he told fans the movies were his when he came out with the SE that really didn't go over well in the fandom and hurt the business. If they are going to tell fans we don't need some of you and we will make new fans that are a great idea why don't you ask JJ how profitable his rebooted Star Trek series has been.....

The old fans probably shell out an insane amount more on merchandise in a year thatn some new fans combined yet you don't need them....

They made Solo in mind for mostly old fans there is only one problem with it. Most of them didn't want to see it and they have voted with their wallets and fandom is now messier sigh....

2. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Yeah, I totally agree, and these trolls will use any evidence against Disney. Chuck Wendig speaks for himself, not Disney, but they will make it seem like he's a mouthpiece for Disney.

Disney needs to send a message to its media figures that they need to share: disliking Star Wars is just fine; spewing racism and not accepting a casting choice because of race or gender is not acceptable.

It shouldn't be hard for Disney make this argument. One of the biggest critics of the top issue with TLJ is the guy who played Luke Skywalker himself. Let him be the spokesman. Criticism is fine. Hate speech and racism is unacceptable.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I must admit the teaser trailer for the Dumbo movie next year looks amazing. I am curious to see if Disney keeps the slate as is for next year since they have the following movies being released within 90 days of each other:

- Captain Marvel
    - Dumbo
    - Avengers 4
    - Aladdin

And they cannot move either Dumbo or Aladdin to the Thanksgiving family release for next year since that is where Frozen 2 is coming and obviously Episode IX will be there

@skybender

I agree but it goes beyond that. I won't dive into why because it simply is a topic for a different thread and board but there is going on then just how Marvel and Lucasfilm treats their fans but that does play a big part. No question about that.

@chris hayes

Mark said as of May 30th he was a unemployed actor except he was in discussions to be in GOTG 3. Will see if that changes but I think expecting Mark to be anything but a glorifed cameo is wishful thinking. It's a shame too because they could do some really cool things with Luke's character from beyond whether he comes back in the flesh like Obi-Wan was orignally going to do in ROTJ or is a powerful force ghost that is a major character. But neither one will happen.

4. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    It depends on what your definition of decline is. Personally, I feel Disney Star Wars is on the creative decline. They have yet to make a film that doesn't rely on OT nostalgia. Disney Star Wars has been mostly creatively bankrupt.

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Why are we moving the goal posts? We're talking about whether or not the box office of Solo means the franchise is in terminal decline. You've simultaneously said yes and no.

6. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    I've never said the franchise was in terminal decline. I made a lifeboat joke. This thread is way too serious.

7. Elizabeth Mattos

Elizabeth Mattos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 26, 2018
    Months later and this is still the most amusing part of the whole hoopla to me. This and the whole shaming of the fandom strategy.

Because ridiculing and guilt-tripping people into liking something works so well.

8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Solo88

It certainly is at a cross roads. Going to be real interesting to see how they proceed long term.

Trying to divert discussion back to the box office, Box Office Pro is really bullish on The Incredibles 2. They have it pegged for a $152 million opening weekend and a domestic total anywhere between $450-540 million. Just monsterious. And it is not being talked about but Deadpool 2 is quietly marching to a $300 million benchmark domestically. For all the talk about how it was a "disappointment" at the box office, Deadpool 2 is still going to have a $300/700+ split at the box office. Very impressive especially how it was smashed between Infinity Wars (which is about to become the fourth highest domestic of all time) and Solo. It pains to say this as a Star Wars nerd but if Incredibles 2 does what it's supposed to and Jurassic World manages to meet around expectations, then it will just look even worse for Solo because it will really be about not so much people were interested in seeing this spring/summer's slate of tentpole movies but rather they were not interested in the Star Wars vehicle. Again going to make for some really interesting discussions at Lucasfilm.

BTW it is on like Donkey Kong between Disney and Comcast:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/...ox-film-tv-studios-acquisition-deal-announced

Kathleen Kennedy's saving grace right now is that Bob Iger's fury is on 100% on Brian Roberts.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe when you decide you want to discuss the topic more we'll reopen this. For now... locking.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We're reopening this now. Keep it on topic or the next lock may be permanent.

G-FETT, TheYodaPagoda and Twain like this.
  11. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    First sub $1m dollar day yesterday! Should make it to $200m today.

12. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    -LordSkywalker- likes this.
  13. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    It just cracked the Top 200 All-Time Domestic....sitting at $198M at the end of Week 4.

It should make another $6M-8M this weekend, bumping it up to #185 or so on that list.

SOLO's daily/week-end/weekly #'s are tracking almost identically to X-Men Days of Future Past. The two films are nearly a carbon copy of each other after Week 2.

Seriously, check out those two films side by side and you'll see it and basically be able to predict what SOLO will do the next day.

If current trends hold, SOLO is likely to make another $20M or so domestically....finishing around $220M or so....in the same domestic ballpark as Star Trek Into Darkness and Days of Future Past.

No fans within those franchises considers those two films to be flops, btw.

However, both of those films made well over half of their WW take overseas. SOLO isn't doing nearly those same types of numbers internationally. SOLO still hasn't been released in Japan though, which should really boost the overseas total.

Dr_Cthulhu and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  14. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    For comparisons, the December holiday boosts for the previous 3 SW movies are over and for Solo, people have been graduating and for the rest schools are increasingly out for the summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (If Solo makes a hair under $211M domestic or more, it will hit 90% in 24 days or more)

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Any chance of hitting $500 million WW?

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    But DoFP got top scores from critics and audiences and even though it did only mediocre domestically it made half a billion internationally.

STID also got top scores from critics and audience even though the fanbase had lots of problems the WW box office was tops for the franchise unadjusted.

Even unadjusted Solo is going to end somewhere above TESB from 1980 and below ROTJ from 1983.

Adjusted it's going to be tens of millions below the ANH SE from 1997.

In more modern adjusted terms from this century it's going to be 250M below AOTC which by tickets and placement from 2002 was in actuality the least successful of all the movies to date (but still one of the most successful movies of all time!).

At the time of release it made it to 11th all-time domestically.

Solo might still be in the top 10 of 2018 by the end of the year.

400M could be a challlenge.

17. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Any possibility Solo will get a Christmas re-release? I guess it's asking too much to have it during the holidays, and it'll be in stores and in my Blu-ray collection long before then, but it's nice to have that social experience.

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Solo opens in Japan next weekend.....RO did $39 mill there so the way Solo's international take is going I suspect Japan will do about $20 mill ,

So in reality Solo's going to do a final ww box office of around $375 - $380 million :(

ps.....it was also interesting to read that Lucas Film wanted to delay Solo till Christmas but Disney put there foot down - oh what could have been [face_thinking][face_money_eyes]

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That is interesting. That could have changed a hell of a lot.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    That was from SWNN. They've never been proven right; so don't take it as gospel.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It would need to stay in the theaters for about five weeks to reach 400 million. So I'd say it's very unlikely.

22. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014

Well stated. Agree with everything you say regarding DoFP and STID too. My point was SOLO will finish in the same neighborhood that both of those films domestically. And those are both quality sci-fantasy adventures that were (mostly) well received.

The real story here is SOLO's (and SW's) problem outside the United States.

Like you said, Days of Future Past made about the same as SOLO in the U.S., but that represented only about 1/3 of it's total gross, whereas that same amount for SOLO will represent over 1/2 of it's total gross.

Further, when examining Marvel's recent's blockbusters, they're making well over half their $$$ outside the U.S.

Star Wars is trending in the opposite direction.

But comparing SOLO with those two films is very instructive. They all performed roughly at the same rate in America but SOLO left hundreds of millions of international dollars on the table compared to both of them.

23. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    movie is tanking and Lucasfilm /Disney need to get their stuff together
    no more mediocrity, please, this ain't 1999-2002 anymore...

The Last Cookiemonster and 3sm1r like this.
  24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh please god don't make them lock the thread again.

25. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.