main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Thrawn Fans Unite !!!!! (v 2.0)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Lordban, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I like the two stories I am wanting at once. But having both as full separate tales would be preferable.

Still going to geek over this though ;)

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    The new novel will likely follow a similar style to the previous book / Thrawn comic, in that it goes through different time periods. Ahsoka was similar. I do miss proper series / trilogies as in the Legends days which were definitely more dynamic. Titular character novels/comics are a bit too fillery for my taste. But still, it's Zahn.

3. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Haven't read the new novel, but for me, what I liked most about the original thrawn trilogy were all the characters besides thrawn, and the story.

Such as:
    -Talon Karde, and his "associates" like Mara, Ghent, Aves, Dankin, the Vornskers, Niles Ferrier and his Devil(De fel), Mazzic, Gillespee, etc.
    I can't believe I'm remembering all these names.

-The Nohgri, particularly Khabarak "You are the Malary'ush. The Lady Vaderrrr!"

-Joruus C'Baoth. A very interesting and entertaining character, especially his interactions with Thrawn and/or Palleon, and Luke(when Luke tries to be his apprentice). It's so much fun to read this guy's scenes.

Thrawn himself gets on my nerves.
    Thrawn- "It's all a ruse. The Rebels will attack Billbringi!"
    Pelleon- "Sir, I find that incredibly unlikely, sir"
    Thrawn- It's just a hunch Captain, but I've studied Mon Calamari art! And I know my creator Mr. Zahn, he never let's me down."
    Pelleon(spell?) can get a little tiresome as well, even though I really like him in later book series.

I'm just not fond of the stiff super genius imperial commanders like Thrawn, or Tarkin. I like them more than the likes of Borsk Fey'lya, Mon Mothma, or Bel Iblis, but that's not high praise.

Amon_Amarth and Mitth_Fisto like this.
  4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Has anyone preordered the new novel?

5. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Never do. I wait for them come out and then decide to get them on the new release hard cover sale or wait for paper back. (Yes I know there are digital copies, but my Star Wars collection has so far stayed perpetually paper. I just enjoy reading them that way more and the feel and surround of books has a quality that just. . .is illogically preferable.)

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I haven’t pre ordered it, but I might.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

:p

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s not the Jedi way! :p

Iron_lord and PCCViking like this.
  9. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, Yoda did say do or do not. :p

10. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Agreed. Thrawn was a fantastic villain, but his role was interesting largely because he worked opposite intriguing, quirky, and well-developed characters.
    I miss Ghent! And of course, the one and only Mara.

Nope. With NEU, I'm waiting to read the reviews. Pre-ordered Thrawn last year; it was fun, but less exciting/Zahn-y than I expected. Had I read the reviews I would have waited until the paperback was out. Same with Cobalt Squadron. I loved the Tico sisters and I picked up the book the day after the premiere, but it turned out to be a forgettable filler.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As nobody chimed in, I’ll pipe up and confirm that the new novel is good fun. Not as brilliant as the first, but it’s has some moments and the twists are well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitth_Fisto and Amon_Amarth like this.
  12. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    So, it's time for me to write in this topic. How can I ignore such a gorgeous character and my second most favorite character in the entire franchise. Is this thread about Thrawn from the Expanded Universe? I see messages about books that relate to the New Canon. Okay, let's just say Thrawn is one everywhere. After all, he's the only one.

I learned about Thrawn quite late - I was 11-13 years old - because at that time I read books and comics, more devoted to my favorite Original Trilogy. Then I read the books of post-Endor, but at random and did not notice the Trilogy of Thrawn. One day I still found information about him, interested in a mysterious, blue-skinned and red-eyed man, and took to read books about him. To be honest, for some reason, Thrawn at first scared me, I couldn't understand him and didn't believe him. It's a strange feeling, considering that I fell in love with Darth Vader from the first sight to the very end. This I mean that the Lord Vader is much more violent than Grand Admiral, but my first feeling was exactly like that.

But I don't leave this subject, I continued reading and by the end of the trilogy was upset about the death of Thrawn. Then I read about him all these side-stories and was very impressed with this Chiss. After a fairly short time he has grown on me, I began to respect him, consider him a competent officer, he is very smart and even brilliant. Most of all I was hooked in it this his ability to learn everything about all on works of art. Thrawn is a brilliant art critic. In general, it is clear that Thrawn has become my favorite character. Second, but it doesn't matter. Just first impossible to replace.

I also carefully studied the information about his species. The Chiss became my favorite race in Star Wars. They are very similar to Vulcans from Star Trek, and they're my favorite race, too. I like closed peoples who live according to their traditions and prefer not to communicate too much with those who do not belong to their world.

The only thing that confused me about Thrawn from his trilogy... In general, that's the crazy Jedi, the original of which once tried to choke him. Is Thrawn taking revenge? But it was a strange and dangerous idea, as practice has shown. And Thrawn's desire to kidnap Leia's children, to give them to that crazy Jedi... very ugly, bad and unpleasant decision. I also really don't like that moment on the bridge of the "Chimaera", where there is a very strange moralizing. I mean, when Thrawn ordered Rukh... kill a junior officer for his joint and shifting the blame... Well, yes, it's not a man action, but, sorry, there is no need to kill for it. Well, a few annoying in Thrawn - his confidence and the fact that he never shares with anyone his plans. The principle of all eggs in one basket is not always a good solution. The most incomprehensible and unpleasant thing is Thrawn's attitude to the situation with the planet of Noghri. He couldn't help but realize that the planet was still being poisoned. It turns out he didn't care and continued the deception... Too trusting his bodyguard-Noghri. A very ill-considered moment in the character's reasoning. It's like the piano in the bushes...

And in the New Canon, I'm just excited about the relationship between Thrawn and Eli. A wonderful character came up. I liked to read about Pellaeon, too, but there were a few other relationships in the trilogy - more businesslike, cold, and reserved. Although seen as Pellaeon was respected Thrawn, even admired, and how he suffered because of his death. But Eli is just lovely cinnamon roll. I already read the first book "Thrawn", really looking forward to "Alliances" and even more are waiting for "Treason", there will be Eli and the story about how Thrawn is trying to get out, caught in the middle. In the first book it was pretty interesting and fun to read, jarred only Arihnda Pryce - it is a pity that Thrawn has to deal with such bitchy and corrupt people. But the more I pissed off attitude to Thrawn in the Imperial Academy, so many unpleasant xenophobes, otherwise called.

At the end I want to said that I would be very interested to read about an Empire which would be rule by Thrawn. What would it be like under his control?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  13. starbuck_archer

starbuck_archer Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 23, 2019
    Timothy Zahn's famous character, Grand Admiral Thrawn, is probably the most famous EU character alongside Mara Jade (also a Zahn creation). Zahn has stated that Thrawn is a combination of "Hannibal, Napoleon, Robert E. Lee, Erwin Rommel and Sherlock Holmes". Clearly, Zahn is a student of military history: in one phrase, he names four of the great Generals of history: Lee, Napoleon, Hannibal and Rommel.

As a military historian, I have given lectures before the Wellington Congress (named for Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo) on both Napoleonic and Roman military history.

First, someone is bound to ask: who are the five greatest generals in history, in your opinion? I hate these lists, and I don't believe generals can be rated as such, given complexities of war in differing eras. However, if I were to list my five favorite (with the caveat that such a list is completely subjective) generals:

1. Scipio Africanus
    2. Julius Caesar
    3. Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
    4. Helmuth von Moltke the Elder
    5. Yi-Sun Shin

(Also, for the record, I have served in campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, so my military experience is not merely limited to history).

What we can observe about the Thrawn character is two characteristics:

1. An inexplicable level of military genius. Thrawn possesses a natural talent, not unlike Napoleon or Beethoven in the respective fields, for not only warfare, but game theory as well. His ability to understand his opponents is very similar to Robert E. Lee (Lee always seemed to be able to get inside the head of his opponents) whereas his rapid attacks and complex "flanking" maneuvers are more characteristic of a Napoleon or a Hannibal.

2. Timothy Zahn explains Thrawn's military ability through his extensive study of species art. Within Star Wars, one can understand a species art enough to predict their tactics in space battles. I have always considered Thrawn's ability to use Art to predict an enemy's actions to be a "black box" in SciFi. It is an entertaining and plausible way of explaining Thrawn's military genius, even if it stretches the imagination. No real general (to which I am aware) has manged to utilize a study of art to so accurately predict an enemy's tactical maneuvers.

From a political perspective, Zahn clearly based Thrawn (an Imperial Admiral) on various figures from history who are often on the wrong side of that history, but military geniuses none-the-less: Rommel and Lee stand out very particularly in that regard. Hannibal Barca, as the greatest threat to Rome in its history after his crushing victory at Cannae, has been a boogyeman since literally the time of the Ancient World.

Unfortunately, Thrawn's basis on real figures from military history runs into a flaw: why are the losing generals (Hannibal, Napoleon, Lee) so often venerated? This is a personal beef: Wellington (who defeated Napoleon) and Scipio (who defeated Hannibal) deserve far more credit for overcoming and actually stopping these conquerors than the conquerors themselves. As a military historian, I am somewhat sick of military history's veneration of figures such as Napoleon Bonaparte, the "French Emperor" who actually conducted the business as French Emperor far closer to how Emperor Palpatine might conduct business than would be comfortable for your average French republican to admit. The "French Republic" was in truth an absolute monarchy under Emperor Napoleon, who ran a secret police under Foch and used Nazi-like tactics to suppress dissent.

While Zahn certainly makes Thrawn look "Cool", he doesn't really base Thrawn's military genius on a plot premise any stronger than flimsy interpretations of the Jedi and "The Force" from Episode IV. Sure, Thrawn studies art. Great. Just because I understand Leonardo Davinci's work doesn't mean I understand Niccolo Machiaevelli (also an "Italian," ostensibly) and his military tactics in "The Prince". But given that Thrawn exists in a universe with The Force and literal wizards, I can accept Zahn's explanation for Thrawn's military genius.

Thrawn's basis in Napoleon, Rommel, Lee and Hannibal, rather than having much basis in military history is mostly based on the fact that all four of those generals were considered a "scourge of the Allies" in their perspective wars. Hannibal was the terror of Rome, Napoleon was the great usurper (who rose to power very similarly to how Palpatine did), Rommel was an evil Nazi military genius in maneuver (but not operationally) and Lee terrorized incompetent Union generals. In all cases, they were "boogyemen" to whom we would consider the historical "good guys": Rome vs Hannibal, Britain vs Napoleon, Britain/Allies vs Nazis.

I truly wish I could say that Thrawn could have a more direct inspiration from Hannibal, Napoleon, Rommel or Lee. However, I see little in the original Thrawn Trilogy, and TIE FIGHTER that would seem to support this.

However, the concept of Thrawn as the "Thoughtful imperial Officer" who isn't "Nazi bat**** insane" seems much more plausible. After all, Rommel himself disobeyed a direct order from Hitler hismself to spare Jews and allied POWs (as opposed to summarily executing them, as Hitler ordered). In this regard, Thrawn most resembles Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, during his campaigns in India: say what you want about Britain's colonial legacy in India, but Wellington himself treated the native Indians as equals to white men, and even prosecuted white officers of the nobility for murder who abused native Indians. Wellesley was also an anti-slavery activist who supported William Wilberforce, although this is not commonly known.

All in all, as a military historian, I enjoy the Thrawn character. Even if the explanation of his genius is somewhat mystical, I can accept that since it's Star Wars, and there are Jedi. But Thrawn makes it clear that non-Force users can make a difference in Stars Wars, and a military genius can sway galactic history just as much as a Jedi Master or Sith Lord.

(@Pandora for writing her "non-lightsaber swinging Star Wars", and how the money of the Tarkin family matters as much being a Dark Lord of the Sith)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Well, Outbound Flight had an interesting moment about this, when Thrawn peruses the art of a new alien species and says that they "were probably created by beings with an extra joint between wrist and elbow who see largely in the blue/ultraviolet part of the spectrum." The fact that the peoples of the Star Wars galaxy aren't just different cultures but entirely different species makes at least some of this allowable - it's easy to imagine that you'd be able to use species' biological traits and limitations against them (which is what Thrawn was doing when we first saw him, concluding that his opponent was an Elomin and then executing a Marg Sabl because that species was psychologically unsuited to respond to that).

There's still a lot of artistic license allowed, of course, and you've definitely got to suspend disbelief at some point (as you do for Sherlock Holmes - and I'm still pretty sure that Thrawn, despite his military trappings, owes more to Holmes than he does to all the other generals you mentioned put together).

Here's just one other thought (spoilers for the last two Thrawn books in NuCanon follow):

This being the Star Wars universe, Thrawn's uncanny ability to predict enemy tactics of course could always have another explanation - he might have the Force, not enough of it to be a full-blown Jedi or Sith, but a little bit of it nonetheless, which would just happen to give him some precognitive ability. In the old expanded universe, this would just be idle fan speculation. But in NuCanon, it turns out that the Chiss do in fact have some Force users among them - and that those Force users' abilities manifest, specifically, as precognition, which is why they get used as navigators. We further learn that those Force users are something of a sensitive topic for Thrawn, which might just be because they're such a valuable asset to the Chiss Ascendancy, but might easily be due to something more personal. Could Thrawn potentially be one of those beings, whose Force potential was just overlooked - or maybe was juuust weak enough or different enough that he couldn't be a navigator, but could still use this talent in other fields, especially when supplemented by his formidable intellect? Or, could he even be a former navigator himself? We're told that the Force ability fades with age among the Chiss, but doesn't always fade completely. That could also fit Thrawn's story.

On a nitpickier note:

I was puzzled by this last sentence and wondering if you were making some general criticism of the entire history of French republicanism, until I realized you meant Fouché.

Ferdinand Foch => one of the nation's First World War generals, who ended up Supreme Allied Commander by the end of the war (the original Eisenhower, basically).

Joseph Fouché => the police boss for the First Republic and then for Napoleon. Arguably the father of the modern police state; certainly a precursor to more famous people like Felix Dzerzhinski, Heinrich Himmler, etc.

Mitth_Fisto and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    If we want to compare Thrawn to a historical exsiting general I would actually say he is very close to one that is a bit obscure, especially in the west for reason I´ll mention in a bit but surely can be considered one of the best generals of his time: Konstantin Rokossovsky who was one of the main commander of the red army in WW2.

Both were, due to their background Rokossovsky being Polish, Thrawn a non human somewhat outisders in their respective nations/armies. This also lead to them to being present that much in historical memory: The NR not knowing about Thrawn until the war, Rokossovski being overshadowed by Shuikov in many ways.

Both were famed for outside the box strategies and tactics, both fough and obscure yet dangerous warlord in a distant country(Rokossovsky was a key part of the army that brought down Ungren Sternberg, Thrawn fought Nuso Esva). Like Thrawn Rokossovski was responsible for several strategic masterpieces, playing a key role in the defense of Moskow, the battle of Stalingrad, Kursks and of course being the commanding officer during operation Bagration wich to this day is still the largest military defeat in german/victory in Russian history.
    Also on that battle both Rokossovsky and Thrawn were known to be the only military commanders who could get away talking back and outright opposing their respective dicators on military matters(though in contrast to Palpatine Stalin did listen to Rokossosky more and more throught the war wich is one of the things that lead to the Russian victory, while Palpatine brushing of Thrawns concerns lead to his death)

On a darker not both men are also infamous for abusing allied forces. Thrawn used the Noghri as cannon fodder, Rokossosky did nothing to help the Warshaw uprising. But at the same time they are also known to have been considerably less brutal than the rest of the regimes they served(Rokossosky being one of the few sovjet commanders to make actually efforts to keep his soldiers in line and protect civilians).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  16. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Wow, thanks for that. And another Topic I Need To Read More About goes on that list.

17. starbuck_archer

Jul 23, 2019
    @Ackbar's Fishsticks the potential that Thrawn
    has Force ability I think detracts from the character. Part of what made him special was, through his use of the ysalamiri, was his ability to both physically defeat the Force and his ability to manipulate Jedi masters (even insane ones). To me, part of what makes Thrawn cool in a universe full of Jedi and Sith Lords is the fact Thrawn doesn't need what amount to "wizard powers" to be badass.
    However, I would agree that his Sherlock Holmes-like ability at induction and deduction would be his primary trait.

I've seen Joseph Fouche's name spelled a couple of ways, however criticizing "French Republicanism" needs much more context.

1. The original spark for the Revolution = heavily justified. France was in an economic recession of astronomical proportions, and people were literally starving in the streets thanks to financial mismanagement by Bourbon Monarchy.

2. The Reign of Terror under Robespierre & Directory were both unbelievably corrupt institutions, and Napoleon was largely justified in overthrowing the Directory and starting the Consulship.

3. I would agree with Beethoven that my sympathy for him ends with his self-appointment (in practice, with a rigged plebiscite) as Emperor. His wars of aggression against Spain and Russia, as well as the conduct of French troops (they raped, tortured and murdered in Portugal and Spain. particularly the Army under Massena that was defeated by Wellington in the Torres Vedras campaign.) There are still aspects about Napoleon I can respect during this period (such as his genius at Austerlitz), but overall his regime needed to be stopped, and I am glad Wellington won at Waterloo.

It is funny that Robespierre himself feared that a "brilliant military dictator" might one day grab power, although he predicted it would be Lafayette or Rochambeau (can't remember which). If anything, the story of Napoleon parallels Anakin Skywalker or Charles Foster Kane: a guy with fairly good intentions gets corrupted by power.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  18. starbuck_archer

Jul 23, 2019
    I think that is a very interesting thing that Rokossovsky managed to get away with. Stalin have an seemed to have a deadly dislike for Poles, as evidenced by the Polish Operation of the NKVD. Disobeying direct orders from Stalin had similar consequences to disobeying Hitler or Darth Vader. However, the Rokossosky comparison is strong, even if I think Zahn was probably directly thinking of Rommel when writing Thrawn's "coldly professional, but fair" side.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  19. starbuck_archer

Jul 23, 2019
    Fellow Thrawn Fans! I am going to do something rare and retract a previous statement. On the point about Thrawn "studying art" not being as beneficial for deducing tactics, I think the concept is more plausible than I originally criticized.

I came across an interesting video that gives the best overview of the Battle of Midway to date. The presenter makes an effective case as to why Admiral Nagumo didn't launch an attack against the newly-identified (even if the ID was hazy) American Carrier group: because his Japanese military thinking made him "doctrine-ally" incapable of making the more risky, but overall correct, decision.

I suppose Thrawn, through a study of art (particularly: what kind of music, porn or movies does a species watch?) coupled with a deep doctrinal understanding of how the enemy conducts operations could produce the level of genius Zahn gave him. It would not take a big stretch of the imagination that a fundamental understanding of art of a species art would be a force multiple upon knowledge of their military doctrine.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    What would happen if Thrawn faces his ultimate foe: himself!

With him gone thx to Ezra, the Emperor clones him. Upon his return from the Unknown Regions he finds his position already filled by his clone and they are pitted against each other for the right to return/stay at the Emperors side. Who would win how and why?

Clone Thrawn has the Imperial Might at his disposal, original Thrawn has the UR and Ascendancy at his back and call. Would original Thrawn try to locate and add the Emperors enemies and the Empires weak spots to his arsenal, like ensuring that the likes of Zaarin and others join him in an insurrection? Imperial Civil War! Only Thrawn does it to return to the Emperors side, but tells his coconspirators otherwise playing them? The Emperor would like him uniting his enemies to ensure their reveal and destruction.

21. AllTheSingleMaras

AllTheSingleMaras Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2019
    I bought the first Thrawn book based on the cover, and it was Timothy Zahn, so it HAD to be good, right? Loved The Thrawn Trilogy.

I was kinda let down. I started it, but there weren’t stakes, Thrawn didn’t grow, and it just didn’t hold my attention. Maybe I wasn’t in the mood for it?

Got the second book, where he teams up with Darth Vader... but it sat on my shelf. I gave it to my brother to read... see if he gives it a glowing review.

Guess I liked him more in my head and was hoping to see an origin story about Chiss honor and humble beginnings, his alienation as looking different, and learning how to play the imperial game... while hanging on to some unChisslike weaknesses. Perhaps there was a little of that, but I felt that Zahn’s focus was more on painting the Star Wars backdrop and descriptive battle scenes... rather than really taking time with the character development and interactions.

That’s just my opinion, however.

22. starbuck_archer

Jul 23, 2019
    That gets on my nerves a bit too. Although, I wouldn't consider Tarkin to be a "super genius" Imperial commander. Perhaps the Galactic Empire's version of Banastare Tarleton, a British officer in the American Revolution (and a member of Parliament during the Napoleonic Wars). Tarleton had some degree of military ability and leadership, but he had even more political connections. For a time, it was even being considered to have Tarleton command the British Army in Spain instead of Wellington!

Tarkin always struck me as more politically competent than miltiarily. In fact, the way he ran the Death Star in combat was questionable (failing to launch his dozens of TIE squadrons when the Rebels attacked was arrogantly poor military thinking. IIRC, in the EU, Vader had to basically launch Black Squadron on his own initiative) . However, he knew how to "hold the meeting room together" and wasn't afraid to challenge Darth Vader himself. His political and leadership skills were his strong point, his military thinking was questionable at best.

Thrawn often succeeds for the same reason James Bond or James Kirk succeed: the writer's pen. It made for a great story.

Mon Mothma suffered from only a few minutes screen time, and always came across as somewhat wooden throughout the EU. Kinda like an overly-perfect Maggie Thatcher or Hillary Clinton, depending on your point of view. However, I enjoyed Fey'lya because he was a reminder that the Rebellion/New Republic was not some utopian United Federation of Planets (and even they had their questionable moral decisions). But Cal Omass came across as way too impossibly good-hearted for a politician, at least at the start.

However, I thought Bel Iblis was a bit underdeveloped: he had the potential to play Grant to Thrawn's Lee, or Wellington to Thrawn's Napoleon. His character also exposed some believable flaws in the Corellian Treaty, and reinforced the audience's viewpoint of Corellian's as being somewhat rogue-ish (in 1993 before the EU was fully developed).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Mitth_Fisto and PCCViking like this.
  23. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    *returns*

What makes Thrawn a superior commander is not his tactical and strategic ability. Yes, its important to his character but that isn't what really defines him. What connects with most readers with his character was his ability to inspire loyalty in his men, something that was sadly overlooked in the Rebels series (I don't even think that is the same character despite the same species and name, it does not feel like Thrawn). You don't get that kind of vibe with Admiral Ackbar or General Antilles. The only other characters that inspires that kind of loyalty are General Leia and General Skywalker. Soldiers who served under either want to serve them, want them as their commander. That is something every general and admiral aspire to achieve and only so few succeed in doing it.

Thrawn succeeds because his men strive to do better for him.

The art deduction and Holmes like style is his mod operandi that makes him different from General Leia or Anakin Skywalker (or any other commander).

Leia succeeds by leading through example. She isn't afraid to get her hands dirty to win a mission. Anakin succeeds by being crazy with improvisation. Thrawn succeeds by seeing things that others miss. All of them had men who want to serve and die for them after they've witnessed victory after victory against the impossible odds.

That's why Thrawn is unique and a genius. He, like Leia and Anakin, stand out in the heat of battle.

24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Yep. See the example of promoting an officer in spite of failure, because Thrawn saw the potential in that officer (versus the one he had Rukh execute).

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. starbuck_archer

Jul 23, 2019
    Thrawn's leadership was probably his most believable ability. Ironically, the generals Thrawn was ostensibly based upon (Lee and Rommel) were not actually very good operationally or strategically vs tactical, but their greatest strength was their leadership. Both Lee and Rommel's troops may have had their reservations about how the war was managed, but they believed in their general.

To use a poor analogy, I see Thrawn as the Galactic Empire's version of Jean-Luc Picard, and I could easily see the "Mirror Picard" with a goatee being similar to Thrawn. They both study art, have strong leadership ability, and can articulate their nation's ideology and the realpolitik and apply it to a situation using good judgement. If John Delancie's "Q" entity showed upon the bridge of the Chimera, Thrawn would probably make him cry with words alone.

PCCViking likes this.