main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Will Rey,Finn and Poe get their own "Thrawn Trilogy" after Episode IX?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MillenniumFalcon2015, Jun 27, 2018.

?

Should Rey,Finn and Poe and co. get their own Thrawn-like trilogy after Ep.9?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2018.
  1. Yes

59.4%
  2. No

46.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    Since Episode X-XII may not come till 2027 the 50th anniversary at least. Will sometime in 2020 while Rian Johnson's trilogy or Benoiff-Weiss trilogy has started will Rey,Finn,Poe,BB-8 and even Rose get their own version of the Thrawn Trilogy and face a new enemy after the defeat of Kylo Ren and the First Order perhaps more threats from the Unknown Regions like canonized version of the Vong,the Vaagari from Outbound Flight or Killiks or even Nuso Esva or a descendant of Thrawn? How about remnants of the First Order under a new Thrawn-like leader or a canonized version of Lord Shadowspawn from Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor? This is a project that DelRey must do to fill the long void to Episodes X-XII or any post-Ep 9 adventures of Rey and Co.

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I think this is likely. Due to an attempt to fit in with upcoming projects, and spin offs; we have been seeing a lot of one and done novels. I think Aftermath (despite a rocky start in terms of fan reaction) proved that people do want book series, and with that proving successful as a story building upon the end of a trilogy, I see no reason why a trilogy right after 9 would be out of the question. I think that if it is set close enough to 9's ending, and does not tie anyone's hands too much for a possible ep 10, then it would be a likely project

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They should, but it depends on if Disney would rather do that with a TV Series or Spinoff Movie, or if they're undecided. In those cases, even if they're undecided, then they'll be off-limits for any stories that have meaningful change or events like Thrawn Trilogy, Black Fleet Trilogy, New Jedi Order series, etc.

Voltron64 and JediBatman like this.
  4. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I love your article on Batman. vncredleader. I love Batman,Green Lantern,Superman as much as Star Wars. Those are the 4 things I love in this world.

vncredleader likes this.
  5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Aww thanks dude! :D

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, they should.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Depends what Lucasfilm is planning for those characters. If they're keeping the option open for sequels featuring them, then we won't get a Thrawn Trilogy analogue. That came at a time when it wasn't looking likely that the Big Three would have new adventures in film, so the EU was a little more free to continue the story post-ROTJ, at a time when canon wasn't really a thing. Now, the way Lucasfilm approaches their stories is different, and I'm not sure how much of a high-stakes story would be relegated to a book series, if a future trilogy would have to back-reference it for the casual audience.

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    As long there's no ridiculous "Ray" clone subplot why the hell not? Could even open the door for a force ghost Leia scene.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They have to survive Ep IX first.

Revanfan1, AV-6R7, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  10. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I can't see anything like the Thrawn Trilogy coming out of the new canon. Disney are never going to allow self-contained major galaxy-changing events to take place in the books or comics.

The new canon has fed us a steady stream of stories that (although mostly enjoyable) have had little impact on major galactic events. This is not going to change, as Disney are never going to allow a novel or comic to impinge upon their ability to make a movie. Nor are they going to produce a movie that necessitates the casual movie goer to read a novel or comic in order to fully appreciate the plot.

Personally, I have really started to miss the old EU. I love the new movies, but I feel pretty sad that I'll never read another Thrawn Trilogy.​

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    vong333, Voltron64 and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I disagree. The impact of Aftermath was larger than the Thrawn Trilogy. It ended the war, established the New Republic, and saw the majority of the Imperial mlitary crushed. In Thrawn the NR was already established, brought to the brink of collapse, and then saved. It's impact was small enough that new movies could start after Thrawn with no issues. A similar trilogy could be made immediately after the sequels and not interfere with future films. There would need to be some constraints, but a new threat for them to face a long with some character growth would be easily possible. Especially if they had some idea of the next trilogy, then they'd be able to hint at that and lead to it without giving too much away.

The only thing unique about Legends were the novels expanding the timeline forward, which has been a little limited since the sequels are currently doing so. The story group has even said they want the novels to include large events, so after the sequels we can expect more of those. While the novels will never be leading the story's progression there's room for big stories, even post ST

I definitely think there should be a Thrawn Trilogy equivalent for the ST characters. They have a great cast and should continue with them and not wait for more films. There would be interesting stories to tell that likely wouldn't make it into a new trilogy and would be a perfect avenue for continuing Rey, Fin, Rose, and Poe's stories. After nine, I'm going to be ready to see them in novels.

12. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    DelRey can still do a Hardcover novel trilogy about Rey,Finn,Poe,Rose and BB-8 and deal with a villain like Thrawn or an Unknown Regions or galactic crisis sometime perhaps summer 2020. And then save some major events for Rey and co. in Episodes X-XII for 2027-2029-2031.

13. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    @JediKnight75 I concede your point with regards to the Aftermath Trilogy. To be honest, I found the first book a little tiresome and haven't gotten around to finishing the series

The old EU was not only unique in that it allowed for the novels and comic books to expand the timeline forward. I think of the old EU as having been a giant sandbox, wherein authors had much more freedom to play around with characters and concepts. The old EU also spanned a time period of many thousand years, from Dawn of the Jedi to Crucible. Though I do appreciate that the new canon is still in it's relative infancy and, as such, may yet grow to encompass a similar timespan. However, as new movies could be set in any time period, authors may always be faced with plot constraints.

All that said, I would like to see a series of novels dedicated to the sequel trilogy leads (if they all survive). Despite my misgivings, I am very much a supporter of the new canon and I do want it to grow into something that is as rich and widely enjoyed as the old.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  14. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    You should give the second Aftermath book a try! It's really good and a lot of people who didn't like the first, enjoyed it.

You are right about Legends having more freedom and covering more eras. With the current movies there has to be constraints, but I believe when the trilogy is finished there's a good chance authors will have more freedom. It will never be as much as legends, but there won't always be as many constraints. Plus authors had limits pre PT. The trilogies have always created done this. The main unknown quantity is the standalones and non saga trilogies. After nine, we'll see how those impact novels. I do think we'll eventually have multiple eras, but right now it makes sense to expand on the movie eras.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I have to second this recommendation - Life Debt makes it abundantly clear how much restriction Aftermath had to work with and arguably does all the heavy lifting to enable Empire's End to work.

Revanfan1 and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  16. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Very likely. Disney would love to tell more stories centered around them; however, I think they should create new characters. Poe, Finn and Rey bore the poop out of me. So far, the only Disney characters that do it for me are the ones they introduced us in Solo, and maayyyybeee Jyn from Rogue One. But they conveniently all die, so scratch that.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anything post Episode IX with the trio will probably be relegated to film (or possibly TV) deciding their future but once that is set, they'll probably get some Aftermath or Bloodline type of novel that progresses their backstory.

A major piece of ST lore that is ripe for a deep novel trilogy dive is Luke's actions now that we know the broad strokes, hopefully we get content filling in what happened.

18. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I hope that not only Rey,Finn,Poe,Rose and BB-8 will not only get their own "Thrawn Trilogy" but their own Bantam like series of 15 novels with 2 HC's a year and a paperback trilogy each year beginning in 2021(the 30th anniversary of Heir to the Empire) and end in 2027(the 50th anniversary of ANH) with their own "Hand of Thrawn" novel and just in time possibly for the Christmas release of Episode X.

19. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I hope by the time Episodes X-XII comes out in 2027 I hope that Rey,Finn and Poe and BB-8 and even Rose have bridge novels set between Episodes X and XI and then between XI and XII like the prequels did. Because I was disappointed that there weren't any between the ST movies since TLJ took place right after TFA. Since Episode IX is rumored to take place 5 years after TLJ. I hope there will be bridge novels between the 2 films like a trilogy called "The New Rebellion" named after the Legends novel by Kristine Kathryn Rusch that I used to like in the old Legends novels series that I used to love.

20. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    I really like Rey, Poe, Finn and Kylo; more books about them would be good news. Hopefully whoever writes them will remember to keep the characters interesting. I tried to read the Thrawn trilogy but stopped half way through Dark Force Rising. Han and Leia felt authentic, but I wasn't detecting any kind of arc or interesting character work. Luke's stuff was cool, but he was buried under plot threads I found almost completely flavorless. It all made mechanical sense and the plot was put together intelligently... but that's just not what I'm into.

Voltron64 likes this.
  21. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    The Thrawn trilogy is the Gone with the Wind or War and Peace of modern literature including The Last Command at 400+ pages long as was some others like Vision of the Future by Tim Zahn the second volume of the Hand of Thrawn duology which is 520 pages long as well as Star by Star by Troy Denning which is 606 pages long and The Unifying Force by James Luceno which is 520 pages long.

I hope to see a 500-600 page long action packed hardcover or two or three with Rey,Finn,Poe etc with multiple space battles,lightsaber duels,new worlds with multiple moons and new regions of the galaxy and of course First Order remnant villians similar to Imperial Remnant of the Bantam novels with slightly older Luke,Han and Leia.

22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    My guess is that LFL will limit the adventures of the ST crew to very, very close to the end of the films featuring them, and do them in self-contained clumps that end with, essentially, reset buttons... I'd look for Rey, Finn, Poe etc. to remain pretty close to their ST ages for however long, 10 years or whatever, it takes to get them back onscreen.

It's an unfortunate side effect of the new canon; the tradeoff being far more onscreen content than ever before. In some senses I wish it were otherwise, but at the same time, it's an honest approach. The characters are going to have plot armor regardless of whether their adventures are galaxy-shaking or not, and if big changes start happening in offscreen material, it would start to have that old-school EU curse of becoming, basically, an AU that would be reset by film continuity anyway... setting up the inevitable "the SST ruined all of Rey's development / #notmyfinn / etc." outcries. We don't really want that, do we?

23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I thought Infinite Jest was the War and Peace of modern literature. Really long and way more copies on shelves than people who've actually read it.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

24. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Yes and hire Zahn to write it!

25. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    Zahn should write the first post-Episode 9 Rey,Finn and Poe and BB-8 and Rose trilogy with a descendant of Thrawn and be set entirely in the Unknown Regions. This would launch another 12 book series and the last one come out in early 2027 that will lead into Episode 10. This series of Rey and Co. HCs and PBs will perfectly fill the void during the release of the Rian Johnson trilogy and the D.B. Weiss/Benoiff trilogy until the 2027 or 2029 release of Episode X.