main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Ugh. Hate those stories. One of my first experiences reading Fan Fiction was coming across a story of a young Obi-Wan going to the "Padawan Spring Dance" and trying to get up the nerve to ask some girl to go with him.
    WTF part of "Jedi are forbidden to have romantic relationships" did you miss?

OMG, I completely forgot about that book and I even own it. I wasn't sure it was canon, though, it was written in 2011.

Now, I know Rian Johnson used some info from it in TLJ, but I don't think that made the whole book canon. But I will definitely be going back to read that again.
    Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Glad to be of help :)

Now, me personally, I would read that book with a critical eye since it did not succeed in working as a in-universe book to for me for different reasons, and come up with my own stuff for things I disagreed on, but you do what you want.

I would suggest taking a look at knight, samurai and monk/nun (both Christian and other faiths) training, convent schools now and during earlier periods for how people living that kind of life probably thinks to some parts.

TheRynJedi likes this.
  3. TheRynJedi

Jun 20, 2018
    That's a great idea, thanks.

4. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Hi guys! Don't know if this is the right place for this question (just got my account two days ago :)) but I've written several fanfiction stories and wondering if you know of any other websites other than this one to post them? Is there an average length for the stories on here? Mine are between 1-3 thousand. I've heard of Archive of our Own, but I just watched Star Wars for the first time last year and started writing shortly after that so I have no idea how any of this works. Can anyone help? :):) Thanks!!!!

P.S. Anyone know where to get the behind-the-scenes books for other episodes besides III, IV + V? :anakin::luke::lando:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @ThisIsMe1138

No known average length of entire story, but the instalments that you post in, should be a manageable size for someone to read - I recommend between 1500 and 1700 words - with at least week's gap (more is preferred by some), to allow for potential reviewers.

Just checked, and the Making of Return of the Jedi, is on Amazon.

PS. Welcome to the Boards.

ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  6. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Thanks a lot! Do you know of any other websites to post FF on?

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    * I'm using a organisation similar to Firefly's Companion's Guild and I'm a bit uncertain what I should call them, should I use 'companion' or maybe 'courtesan' or maybe some other title? Any suggestions?

* what spacefaring species do we know of with a strong warrior culture?

8. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Courtesan is good. Companion typically has a different meaning, so it probably requires a bit more explanation if you want to use it.

Togorians? I'm sure there are a lot of others, but that's what came to my mind.

Edit: @ThisIsMe1138 Just so you don't think people are ignoring you, there are rules here against promoting other sites. But if you do a google search, I guarantee you will find at least one more popular fanfiction site...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    ThisIsMe1138, Sith-I-5 and Gamiel like this.
  9. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Oh, sorry! I don't know if I'd consider listing them as necessarily promoting them, but then, what do I know? I'm only four days old here ;) Thanks for letting me know! :):)

Ewok Poet and Snocone like this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Welcome ThisIsMe!!
    Make sure to check out the Welcome New Users thread stickied at the top of this forum. It has a lot of that information in there, specifically for your questions is under the How do I get readers on my stories section. It has info about norms here on the boards.

As for other places, it's okay to talk about other fanfic places so long as you aren't posting links to your stories there (though there are some exceptions), or being mean about other stories there.(Tarsier is right, promoting them isn't allowed, but in this case I wouldn't consider it promoting.) It looks like you already know one of the most prominent Archive of Our Own (AO3), the other is fanfiction.net. Live Journal has some older stories, but it's not used as much as it used to be.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or Briannakin! :)

ThisIsMe1138 and Findswoman like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Since @Chyntuck is back I ask this again: Have kiffars shown to have any specific way of speaking (as in dialect or use of specific words or idioms)?

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    Does anybody else feel like their stories take place in a kind of "dead time" between movies that doesn't really exist, or do you always have a specific time period? ;)

teamhansolo likes this.
  13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I've got plenty of stories that take place between or before movies, but I try to have a rough idea of the timeline, purely for my own sake, because it helps me know what is up with the other characters. Like, "okay, this is fifteen years before the Phantom Menace, so maybe Mace Windu isn't on the Jedi Council yet," or "so if this is three years before Bloodline, no one really knows that the First Order is a threat." Especially if you're involving any of the movie characters.

Of course, if you decide it's AU or not-quite NuCanon, you can fudge it a bit. :D Ultimately, if YOU'RE happy with it, who cares?

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Also if you can get your hands on them would I also suggest looking into the Lone Wolf solo adventures books and RPG:s. The Kai-order that exist in there is in many ways how I picture a proto-jedi order

15. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Not that I know in canon. I had thought of making up a few expressions about the electrical storms but I never got around to doing it. I did try to give Quinlan Vos a specific way of speaking with lots of SW slang in the story where I had him appear, but it was a personality trait rather than a cultural one (because you know, "that Jedi is crazy"). I can dig up those chapters if you want, but I think they won't be much help.

Mistress_Renata and Gamiel like this.
  16. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    @Chyntuck is back?:cool:

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    This might be a weird question.
    Would characters like Darth Vader or General Grievous, as in cyborgs with many machine components to them still die of old age eventually?

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I got the impression that Anakin/Vader was quite a damaged, worn out creature. Physically exhausted, but propped up by his mechanical shell.

I think he would finally die from his injuries, when Sideous decided that he was tired of him.

Grievous... I could imagine him replacing his heart, his remaining meaty bits, and one day going fully mechanical and replacing his brain.

Ewok Poet, Anedon and Findswoman like this.
  19. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    So you would say sufficiently advanced cyborgs could effectivley become imortal?

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If they give up their meat, which is really giving up their "self".

Sideous, Plagueis were all about finding immortality, but copying themselves into a droid wasn't an option. That's a copy. A copy with no contact with the Force. But I think Grievous would have considered it.

Vader grew old in his suit. He would have died eventually.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  21. ThisIsMe1138

Jun 26, 2018
    So, over last summer, I wrote this, pretty much, novelization of ANH, adding a few scenes and not writing a few because it follows only Luke so the beginning w/ Leia is only mentioned. Is that fanfiction even though it follows the movie except for the added scenes? Or is it just me having fun and not being able to do anything with it? :p

Edit: What's the difference between this thread and "The Scribble Pad", and which would questions like these go on?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  22. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If you go to the introduction post, on the very first page of both these threads, they will say what the purpose of each thread is; and if one was created after the other, I would expect the second one to make clear what the difference is, to justify its existence.

And in response to your earlier question, all my stories exist within a given timeframe.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Sith-I-5 gave some good advice, it's always a good idea to check the first post of a thread because it has the rules and such for the thread.

This thread is more for individual help and questions, something more story specific you are caught on. The Scribble Pad is more for big ideas and things that people could discuss and use for their own stories. There's a bit of overlap in places, but for the most part, that's the idea between the two.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  24. TheRynJedi

Jun 20, 2018
    So, a question that's been percolating lately...

In the old EU, we had the Horn family, specifically Corran, but also his father too, who was a Jedi who just couldn't do telekenisis. They had other gifts that were much stronger to make up for it, but they just couldn't make things move with the Force.

In the new canon, we see younglings building their first lightsabers using only the Force. It is one of the trials a youngling must pass in order to continue on to become a Padawan (Kanan in the comics mentions 3 trials).

Would a youngling unable to move things with the Force be allowed to progress in their training? How essential to being a Jedi is telekenisis? All Jedi in the canon media are able to do it. Would a young initiate unable to do this basic Jedi skill even be bothered with? Would they "flunk out" of Jedi training? Would they stay an initiate forever?

Just curious what you all think.

brodiew likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    personally I would fanon it: I would ignore that Horn Sr. couldn't use telekenisis (maybe have it so that he was not that good with it) but that Horn Jr. could not use it because he had mental blocks, possibly from believing that his dad was not good with it or could not use it and that he had inherited it. I would also ignore the whole “Corellian Jedi” thing and just have Horn Sr. as a Jedi that was not that good at following some of the Jedi rules. He had a romance with Jr.’s mother and kept in contact with her and with Jr., after his birth.