main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The First Baseball Draft Game

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jun 29, 2018.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    From the man who creates more drafts than Donald Trump dodges ...

Comes your opportunity to create a team better than this:

[​IMG]

This is our branch-out effort as we've "successfully" done this in basketball five times and in college football once. if you're new to this type of game, or just want a refresher, you might find it helpful to review these previous games:

The First NBA Draft, won by @EmpireForever (Able to draft any player any time)
    The Second NBA Draft, won by @tom (Limited to only players from the 2012-13 NBA Season)
    The Third NBA Draft, won by @tom (Back to any player, any time)
    The Fourth NBA Draft, won by @PRENNTACULAR (auction style Franchise Acquisition)
    The Fifth NBA Draft, won by @Point Given (all GMs must draft from the same franchise every round)
    The First College Football Draft, won by @LloydChristmas (any player from the modern era)

The Biggest difference, obviously, is that this time, we're drafting Major League Baseball players.

The Participants:

1) The Commish - That's me. I'm going to keep the draft going by moving along the selection process (see below), posting games, posting results, and generally keeping the game moving forward.
    2) The GMs - that's you. Six or Eight of you. You'll assemble your team, put together lineups, and respond to the ebbs and flows in your attempts to win

The Phases of the Game:

1) The Draft.

The GMs will be randomized into an order that will be slightly modified every round. This will continue for 24 rounds. The modification each round is due to the wrinkle we are throwing into the draft. The first pick in a round determines the Franchise from which every pick in that round must come from. the same Franchise can be selected multiple times.

For the purposes of this draft, we will consider a Franchise to be continued through relocation. The Dodgers means you can pick from the Brooklyn Dodgers as well as the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Montreal Expos gives you access to the (Current) Washington Nationals. And so on.

For the final round of the draft, there will be a "free for all" where any player not yet selected can be nabbed. This will be done via this method: All GMs PM me their choice. if no other GM picks your player, you get him. if any other GM picks the same player, that player is out of the game (cannot be added via free agency) and you send in another PM with a second choice. You continue doing this until either a) everyone has their players or b) five rounds have passed, at which time I will assign players of my choosing from the worst teams to play in Cleveland from my childhood.

During the draft, trades of players and future picks can be made. All parties must produce a private conversation and involve the Commish. The Commish has the ability to veto any trade. However, you cannot trade your 25th round free-for-all pick.

You will also have the opportunity to name a "home field" for your games. This can be done at any time during drafting, and need not be unique to your team (that is, two different GMs can pick the same park ... hell, every GM could). You should also feel free to designate a manager, which will have no impact whatsoever on the game. But it's fun.

2) Free Agency Period

The GMs will be given 48 hours after the close of drafting to make add/drops to their team. Once they are done, they will post their final roster and team name. Trades can be done during this time, with the same rules as above. Once this phase is done, rosters are locked, and no trades or add/drops can be done until after the first round of games, where each GM can make up to two swaps.

Please note - you can only add a player from the same franchise you are dropping a player from.

3) The Regular Season

Each team will play every other team six times - two three game series, one at home and one away. When a series comes up, each GM should post their rotation for the series. Then, each GM should post their line-up and batting order for each game of the series. Please note:

• The Designated Hitter is not in use
    • Your starting pitcher must have at least three days off in between starts
    • There will be some scheduled "travel days" (Posted) to allow you to modify your rotation slightly.
    Once all line-ups are posted or 24 hours has passed, the games will be simulated at www.whatifsports.com. The Commish will provide the results and box scores, as well as any exciting/amusing acts from the simulation via a recap. You cannot change your line-up midseries.

4) The Playoffs

If we have eight GMs, the top four teams will advance to the playoffs. The #1 team will play the #4 team and #2 will play #3. Both series will be in a 2-3-2 format. The winners will advance to the championship, which is also in a 2-3-2 format. There will be travel days after game 2 and after game 5 in all series.

In the event of a tie for position, head-to-head win/loss will be used as a tiebreaker. If the teams remained tied:

• If all teams involved in the tie would qualify for the playoffs and only seeding is in question, the commish shall do a random draw to determine seeding
    • If one (or more) teams involved in the draw would not qualify for the playoffs, the commish shall institute as many one-game playoff games as needed to break the tie (i.e. if there are two teams tied, we need one game. if there are three teams, we need two games, with a random draw to select which team gets a "bye", and so on ...)
    5) The Championship Parade

The winner of the championship game will be given a parade in his honor, with the mayor blocking off much of downtown. Or, well, Game winner VIPship and colors for a week.

But, before we get to any of that, we need to finish the preliminary phase. Sign-ups!

Once We have our GMs set, we will being. To sign-up, just copy the list and add your name.

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7) *If Necessary
    8) *If Necessary

And ... Let's Play Ball!

LINKS:

Rosters/Team info
    Schedule/Calendar
    Results/Standings

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2018
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    1) @dp4m
    2) @heels1785
    3) Tunes
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7) *If Necessary
    8) *If Necessary

I've got one request...

[​IMG].

Exclusive rights for that ballpark as my team's home.

:p

Also, no DH?!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    @dp4m you get one month's freedom from slander for your thoughtfulness. can't put a price tag on that. thank you.

also tunick, next year when i come calling for you to join our jcc fantasy league, i'm just going to call it the yahoo baseball draft game. i trust i can count on you to be present for it.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    1) @dp4m
    2) @heels1785
    3) Tunes
    4) PG
    5)
    6)
    7) *If Necessary
    8) *If Necessary

DarthTunick likes this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    1) @dp4m
    2) @heels1785
    3) Tunes
    4) PG
    5) tom
    6)
    7) *If Necessary
    8) *If Necessary

DarthTunick likes this.
  7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    1) @dp4m
    2) @heels1785
    3) Tunes
    4) PG
    5) tom
    6) cubman987
    7) *If Necessary
    8) *If Necessary

DarthTunick likes this.
  8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Anyone willing to offer up a bribe to get the first overall pick?

(I hate the period of time when sign-ups are almost done. i want to do my random number generator and start the draft already!)

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Corey Kluber is not only a sexy man, but a powerful man, I knew that from the moment he emerged from the dugout to pitch...

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'll keep the Crew in Columbus.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'll get Landon Donovan to babysit your twins while teaching them the Columbus Crew fight song (if there is one). If not, I'll have him create one and then teach them...

12. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    cubman987Your Friendly Neighborhood CT/PT/Saga Moderator[​IMG]Staff MemberModerator

Nov 7, 2014
    New
    1) @dp4m
    2) @heels1785
    3) Tunes
    4) PG
    5) tom
    6) cubman987
    7) RX_Sith
    8) *If Necessary

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Inty I'm the biggest Cavs fan who's not actually a Cavs fan. Ask Lloyd and Erin.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Point Given was the second shooter that sent Lebron to South Beach.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Someone convince @AmazingB to take the final GM spot before I go to bed and I'll post draft order tonight and we'll get started.

Doesn't have to be AmazingB. But I'm amused at the idea of someone making a pick and signing off "amazing" every single time.

Darth Punk and cubman987 like this.
  16. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    That sounds...doable

[​IMG]

Amazing

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    But can you get Bartolo Colon 11 times and play the role of Shaq?

(Attack of Colons is almost too perfect, no?)

LloydChristmas likes this.
  18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  19. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It's been done.

I don't understand the rules or time commitment at all, but sure sign me up.

Amazing.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    B - It's not that difficult. You draft a player from the assigned franchise when it's your turn (or pick the franchise and the player the three times you draft first), and then put forth rotations and lineups once the game goes. I'm sure the other GMs who have done these in the past can help you if you have questions, but it's not really much more complicated than that.

Working on the RNG now, draft order will be up soon

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, I believe we have ... 2 Yankee fans (1 legit, 1 ultra bandwagon), 2 Mets fans, 1 Cubs fan, 1 Dodgers fan, 1 Mariners fan, and ... I'm not sure what team Rx supports. And the cub fan gets to lead us off. @cubman987 - you're up to bat, and @RX_Sith - you're on deck.

Let's ... play ball!

Round 1

1. cubman987 - On the Clock
    2. RX_Sith
    3. PG
    4. tom
    5. Tunes
    6. dp4m
    7. heels1785
    8. AmazingB

Round 2

1. AmazingB
    2. heels1785
    3. dp4m
    4. Tunes
    5. tom
    6. PG
    7. RX_Sith
    8. cubman987

Round 3

1. RX_Sith
    2. PG
    3. tom
    4. cubman987
    5. AmazingB
    6. Tunes
    7. dp4m
    8. heels1785

Round 4

1. heels1785
    2. dp4m
    3. Tunes
    4. AmazingB
    5. cubman987
    6. tom
    7. PG
    8. RX_Sith

Round 5

1. PG
    2. tom
    3. cubman987
    4. RX_Sith
    5. heels1785
    6. AmazingB
    7. Tunes
    8. dp4m

Round 6

1. dp4m
    2. Tunes
    3. AmazingB
    4. heels1785
    5. RX_Sith
    6. cubman987
    7. tom
    8. PG

Round 7

1. tom
    2. cubman987
    3. RX_Sith
    4. PG
    5. dp4m
    6. heels1785
    7. AmazingB
    8. Tunes

Round 8

1. Tunes
    2. AmazingB
    3. heels1785
    4. dp4m
    5. PG
    6. RX_Sith
    7. cubman987
    8. tom

Round 9

1. Tunes
    2. AmazingB
    3. RX_Sith
    4. dp4m
    5. cubman987
    6. heels1785
    7. PG
    8. tom

Round 10

1. tom
    2. PG
    3. heels1785
    4. cubman987
    5. dp4m
    6. RX_Sith
    7. AmazingB
    8. Tunes

Round 11

1. AmazingB
    2. RX_Sith
    3. dp4m
    4. Tunes
    5. tom
    6. cubman987
    7. heels1785
    8. PG

Round 12

1. PG
    2. heels1785
    3. cubman987
    4. tom
    5. Tunes
    6. dp4m
    7. RX_Sith
    8. AmazingB

Round 13

1. RX_Sith
    2. dp4m
    3. Tunes
    4. AmazingB
    5. PG
    6. tom
    7. cubman987
    8. heels1785

Round 14

1. heels1785
    2. cubman987
    3. tom
    4. PG
    5. AmazingB
    6. Tunes
    7. dp4m
    8. RX_Sith

Round 15

1. dp4m
    2. Tunes
    3. AmazingB
    4. RX_Sith
    5. heels1785
    6. PG
    7. tom
    8. cubman987

Round 16

1. cubman987
    2. tom
    3. PG
    4. heels1785
    5. RX_Sith
    6. AmazingB
    7. Tunes
    8. dp4m

Round 17

1. heels1785
    2. tom
    3. PG
    4. RX_Sith
    5. dp4m
    6. Tunes
    7. cubman987
    8. AmazingB

Round 18

1. AmazingB
    2. cubman987
    3. Tunes
    4. dp4m
    5. RX_Sith
    6. PG
    7. tom
    8. heels1785

Round 19

1. tom
    2. PG
    3. RX_Sith
    4. heels1785
    5. AmazingB
    6. dp4m
    7. Tunes
    8. cubman987

Round 20

1. cubman987
    2. Tunes
    3. dp4m
    4. AmazingB
    5. heels1785
    6. RX_Sith
    7. PG
    8. tom

Round 21

1. PG
    2. RX_Sith
    3. heels1785
    4. tom
    5. cubman987
    6. AmazingB
    7. dp4m
    8. Tunes

Round 22

1. Tunes
    2. dp4m
    3. AmazingB
    4. cubman987
    5. tom
    6. heels1785
    7. RX_Sith
    8. PG

Round 23

1. RX_Sith
    2. heels1785
    3. tom
    4. PG
    5. Tunes
    6. cubman987
    7. AmazingB
    8. dp4m

Round 24

1. dp4m
    2. AmazingB
    3. cubman987
    4. Tunes
    5. PG
    6. tom
    7. heels1785
    8. RX_Sith

DarthTunick likes this.
  22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Home Field: Wrigley Field (duh)
    Manager: Joe Maddon

1st pick: Ernie Banks, SS, Chicago Cubs (1958)

@RX_Sith you're up

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I forgot to mention - please put the year for the player you are drafting. And try to tag the next gm

cubman987 likes this.
  24. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Ohhhh, didn't realize franchise meant franchise history. Good thing I wasn't number 1 overall. This already seems like fun and impossibly aggravating (just like the Mets)!

Amazing.

Point Given and DarthTunick like this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    dp4m since I cannot slander you, Inty just called you ultra bandwagon

cubman987 and Point Given like this.