main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Yeah, Shadow War: Times End was a completely different game than had been intended by the time it ended, so there were very very few of us left from the beginning who saw it through to the end (it might have been just me and Mitthy). All the other factions aside from the one of the Jedi groups had left the game, and even after I took over as the Guardians of Light co-GM I made the mistake of trying to keep it to it's original intent at first, which left the game listless and lurching from scene to scene with no real plan in mind except wait for the other factions to return. There were times we would go months without an update or response because there just seemed to be no point in keeping the game going.

Fortunately the members of the Guardians of Light fanclub kept insisting that we move forward (even after those months long breaks) and after consulting with the original GM (Sinre) I went ahead with a more tightly wound plot for the remaining faction to bring the game to a close. Even then we had issues as some core players ended up...leaving the forums (right as their characters were going to have major impactful moments in the game too!), so I had to work around that and bring in a few new faces, but in the end it worked out fairly well and I think that game got a decent conclusion to it.

As a GM I've been on the other side of things too. The Mandalorian game I was running, Those Who No Longer Exist, had a very tightly wound plot, I knew exactly where we were going, but we suffered through some issues. Some were my fault as the GM, others were out of my control. Sadly the introductory phase to the game was fairly weak on my part, and the game suffered because of it. We also lost nearly half the players who simply dropped not only out of the game, but off the forum for awhile (some still haven't come back). We tried to keep it going with what we had left, but there just weren't enough players to keep it interesting and we all ...well lost interest. :p

The two games I am running now, Legacy of the Guardians and Black Sheep Squadron, both have their origins in EUC fanclubs, so there was a core group of folks who already knew each other and myself before we started playing. That helps in any game, but you need to be willing to add new folks (and we added in a bunch for Black Sheep [face_dancing] ) as the game goes on because inevitably there is falloff and when there is you run out of players and without players there is no game. So neither game requires membership (or even knowledge of) those fanclubs, though they are great places to meet folks. I know the New Sith Trials games also use the EUC Sith Fanclub as a base as well, and those games kind of pave the way as a successful franchise right now.

Still even with the built in advantage of folks knowing one another (and the GM) the two games I'm running are different in that I have a specific endgame in store for Black Sheep (it's a long ways off folks, don't worry) while Legacy is set up more as an ongoing sandbox game for folks from the fanclub to roleplay their own Jedi characters, even though there is an overarching plot that everyone is working within. Still, it's led to some issues as I got way too ambitious early on and "split the party" into far too many different groups right off the bat which has led to "slow times" for some players. I'm still trying to recover from that mistake, but at least I've (hopefully) learned my lesson there. :p And if the folks there ever grow tired of the "legacy and beyond era", I've got a prequel game set in the post OT time period for them that connects with what they've been doing in the current game.

All in all, I'd agree that any successful game is a collaborative effort between players and GM. I think a big component for any GM is to have a plan and the time to execute that plan, but remain flexible because nothing ever goes according to "the plan". Most importantly though, just create an atmosphere for the players to have fun because if folks aren't having fun, they aren't going to want to play. Players should stay active and engaged, I know as a GM I love feedback from players. I want to know what makes the game more fun for them, what they aren't liking. Goals for their character or even pratfalls for them to succumb to. In the end, it's all online pretendy futime games ( as another excellent GM has told me) so for everyone, players and GM alike, make it a fun process and the game will be better for it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    It’s such a nice feeling when GM updates go up. :)

How’s everyone doing this fine Saturday?

3. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    A little drowsy actually. Still haven't settled on a decent schedule now that school is out.
    I keep telling myself "Tonight, I will get to bed at a decent time."
    But the day just goes by so fast, I have a bad habit of losing track of it.

Maybe I after I find that job I've been looking for, I'll have the incentive to shutdown earlier.
    (An opportunity has come up, but waiting for the callback now)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  4. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
  5. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Best of wishes and may the Force be with you! After all there is no such thing as luck, just a good blaster at your side ;)

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Not once?!

I’ve had about half the games I’ve GM’d or co-GM’d finish, I’d say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    I’m so glad we’ve gotten back to triple GM posts in sequence. Such a fun format and a callback to the end of NST I.

Kalio_Dynkos and Sinrebirth like this.
  8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I highly recommend seeing Post Malone live.

9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    *Comes in...looks around at the fresh coating of paint, and other new things. Orders a drink a takes a seat in the back*

Hmmm. Gotta get used to the look. It has been awhile...[face_coffee]

10. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    There's a face I haven't seen in some time! Welcome!

11. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Why thank ye! Yes, it has been awhile.
    But I'm ready for my hot toddies, and bouncy castles again...
    .. all these buttons to play with...

hehehehe

12. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    Well, if there's a few hot toddy's around...

13. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Ktala! Good to see you back! How are you doing?

14. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Much better. Thank you Fins. I truly missed doing mischief here. Hope to get back into full running order soon!! :D
    :p

Kalio_Dynkos likes this.
  15. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Sicario 2

Hello everyone!

16. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Well Hello!!

*Slides a glass down the bar*.... I'll let you pick your own poison...hehehe

;)

17. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Wait... you guys have poison here? Strichnine? Warfarin? What kinds?

18. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Well, a few Siths and Pirates have been known to frequent the place. We try to keep everyone happy. As long as YOU are the one imbibing the drink, have at it!

I prefer a Pangalactic gargleblaster, if I want to lose brain cells, but there is some Raktajino and Bloodwine, that have a healthy kick to them as well.

19. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I approve. Multi-nerdist here, I see. (Hitchhiker's Guide and Star Trek x 2) Can I offer you some Mudder's Milk?

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  20. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    oooh.. Firefly!

Nahh... You can keep the Mudders Milk. Meads work well. Also, Moonglow. Sulfuron slammer sounds interesting though.... ;)

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  21. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Never played WoW, so I don't know that one. I wonder if Babylon 5 had names for drinks other than coffee.

BTW, I tortured myself with Firefly about a year ago knowing full well there weren't any more episodes but loooooved it!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  22. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Hehehe..

Ya mean like Bor'Kaan, or Hot Jala or maybe a Jovian Sunspot? That one sounds yummy.
    hahah... this one sounds like a winner!! :

Rmm*zzq!wwx
    : An extremely incapacitating pak'ma'ra drink that roughly translates as "Roadkill Malt". Humans are advised to avoid sampling at all costs.
    :D

BTW... LOVED Babylon 5 also.

Mitth_Fisto and DarthIshyZ like this.
  23. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    B5 was such a good series! I loved that it was so well planned out from beginning to end. And that it was interwoven. The FX need some forgiveness in this day and age, but still good. Independent thinking, too.

DarkLordoftheFins and Ktala like this.
  24. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Well well well friends,

What have we here! A 20 Year Anniversary Celebration of the JC Forums!

What shall we do about this? A ball? A game? A tale from RPF city? Some sort of resource-y stroll down memory lane?

-I_H

25. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    Whoa, I_H!

Wait...wait. Go back outside and come back in, the band wasn't ready! They missed your entrance!

Mitth_Fisto likes this.