main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Actually I would like to see how Kylo is able to sway others because I don't think he does it with charm, charisma and seductive promises. He doesn't seem like the type. It probably involves Kylo's rather nasty ability to rip things from people's minds

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Gamiel and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
  3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Aw, so glad to hear! Yeah it really resonated with me.

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    HUX: What... happened?
    KYLO: The girl murdered Sn-
    *BOOM! Another aftershock explosion rips through the Supremacy and blows out the windows and ejects Hux and Kylo into space*

5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This won't harm kylo, he takes after his mom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sorry, but that's just wrong. Everybody know that he swayed them by showing of his glorious hair, clearly the mark of a man to follow.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    No, Amanda Fallow is one of Karrde's ships. :D

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think it's likely the promise of something better in Snoke's thrall. And I don't think we're giving him enough credit - in TFA we see that he's got his dad's sense of humor, and given his tenacity as a villain I'm sure he got up to some truly impressive heroics on his good days. What's more, I really think people are choosing to interpret his pleas to Rey, particularly the "You're nothing, but not to me" bit, in the worst way possible - certainly not in the way he intends it, and not the way I think Rey receives it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I said this in the episode IX thread but I would love to hear some Kylo Ren quips / mild aggravation like he has in the first half of TFA (he's actually kind of funny while he has the mask on for the most part). I'm sure JJ will bring it back a bit. There's a wee bit of funny stuff from Kylo in TLJ, check out the look on his face when he says "Concentrate all firepower on the speeders!" and then Hux repeats what he just said, louder, and Kylo gives him a "really, dude? I just said that." kind of look.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    It is indeed. Uwana Buyer?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Rey: You're Kyle Katarn. You used to be in the Legends Expanded Universe . You used to be big.
    Kyle: I am big. It's the EU that got small.

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Its better than that. kyle and jan are reys parents, frozen in carbonite by snoke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Voltron64, Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Last Jedi hits The Netflixs at 3:01 EST and 12:01 PT. Going to use it basically for mobile viewing since I have the BR but will use Netflix version on phone. Guys, this movie looks so good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hah Netflix has it listed as "Star Wars - Episode VIII - The Last Jedi" as it should be, dangit! FYI, first time it popped up on my Netflix list (on moblie) the art was of Luke and Leia meeting on Crait. Spoiler!

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  16. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Another great short video essay on potentially why many of us will never see eye to eye on this movie.

At the end he used the example of Luke but I think his point was more that there isn’t just the one focal point for all fans. In Star Wars you have so many characters that people invest in differently and you get these different factions that all want the story pushed in a certain direction, arc or agenda. I for one felt Finn would be force sensitive in TLJ or start a rebellion from within the FO.

It’s what makes Star Wars saga films so different from something say another ensemble type film like Avengers. The heroes in those films generally have straight forward motivations - do good fight bad and the fans pretty much share those expectations. I think fans of marvel films generally have uniform expectations going into one of their films. Star Wars fandom has so many competing priorities ranging from lightsaber fights, space battles, which characters pair up etc etc. Then you have those that have the checklists - be original, take risks, don’t stray too far from the road.

I love it.

17. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Another point of view.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

18. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Stopped half way through that drivel. Clickbait at its best.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

My favorite take on the Last Jedi

Part 1

Part 2

BobaMatt likes this.
  20. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Truth hurts.....doesn't make it less true.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The Force Awakens was the highest grossing film of all time. The Last Jedi is currently the 8th highest grossing film of all time. Star Wars isn't failing.

22. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    You can dislike the movie and provide an actual breakdown of why you didn’t like it.

That video doesn’t go that route instead it ignores context especially when talking about Johnson “attacking” fans, negates the massive backlash the prequels had, doesn’t say much outside of “it was bad” all the while wastes time saying he should be paid for promotion all the while making money off a clickbait video.

There’s a big difference.

23. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I know it's stating the obvious but you really shouldn't be putting too much weight into those numbers for this discussion of where Star Wars is at going forward Afaik the biggest issue as far as popularity the new SW has had has been the reaction to TLJ, and the subsequent poor performance of Solo, which is what has sparked these reactions.

The whole "SW is failing" thing here is a knee-jerk reaction to Solo's box office performance (which had a number of factors affecting it), though the idea that fan reaction to TLJ could seriously hurt SW box-office numbers going forward can't be discounted. Obviously the box-office of TFA and TLJ is not particularly relevant in that context.

It's still pure speculation though. It was just one underperforming movie.

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The box office performance of TFA and TLJ are enormously relevant to a discussion of whether fan reaction to TFA and TLJ is having a negative effect on box office numbers.

25. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    That makes no sense. The speculation is about the future. No one is disputing the financial success of TFA and TLJ.