main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #13-18: Burning Seas (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 9, 2018.

1. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    Was it for when Vader arrived at Mon Cala? Cause I think that's what it was.

2. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    It's from Issue 16, just as Vader and the Inquisitors are going to confront Barr. Tarkin contacts him for assistance, hence Vader heading off before Barr issues Order 66. I've attached the relevant conversation below.

Tarkin: Lord Vader.
    Vader: Governor Tarkin. I am occupied.
    T: I am aware. I request that you allow the rest of your team to locate and dispatch the Jedi. I have another task for you. Secure King Lee-Char.
    V: I am not subject to your authority.
    T: No. Hence the request, as opposed to an order. But the Mon Calamari and Quarren forces are digging in for a protracted conflict, and our Emperor made it clear that he wanted a swift victory here. If I have the King, I can end this. I suspect you can acquire him faster than anyone else. Will you assist me? I would consider it... a personal favour. I would be in your debt.
    V: Inquisitors. I have another task. Continue on. Destroy the Jedi.

KamNale likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah Barr was legit crazy by the end which I quite appreciated. Order 66 broke the Jedi in more ways than one and I kind of loved how Barr had no qualms about manipulating people to get what he wanted, it done turned him to a Sith! Ish!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    spicer and kalzeth like this.
  4. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    #18 Preview
    I am surprised by what's going on in that preview, looks like an interesting premise.

5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    it definitely has me wanting some context.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Another time skip, this time of eight years?Curious if the entire issue takes place that long after ROTS, and if so, whether the next arc will continue from there or go back to 18 BBY. It's a nice touch to portray Vader as even a bit uncomfortable around fire. It would make sense considering how he got crippled.

Darth_Pevra, Vialco and kalzeth like this.
  7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    How do we know there's a time skip? I don't see it mentioned in the preview.

kalzeth likes this.
  8. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Goatee Lobot says eight days, not years.

spicer and Daneira like this.
  9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I've been wondering: why is Tarkin gray-haired so early in the timeline? Fake!Cushing was still reddish-brown at the end of ROTS.

10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Working for the Emperor is stressful in ways that working for the Chancellor never was. Probably more overtime, fewer benefits and a heck of a lot more responsibility.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

MrDarth0, Voltron64 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    I really love the art and character designs to this.

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Misread it. My bad.

13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Like the general callback to the novel Tarkin by having Wilhuff on the hunt

BigAl6ft6, Daneira and KamNale like this.
  14. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014

"Lando, unless I miss my guess, these are pieces by Lord Momin—an ancient Sith sculptor. All of his works were thought lost."
    —Korin Pers discussing the Sith artifacts stored on Palpatine's yacht Imperialis, Lando #4

:D

15. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Wow. Really interested in this next issue. Definitely did not see that coming, though the cover sure did hint at it.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The sooner this stuff comes out the better.

I need more Sith stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    8.5/10
    I really liked Tarkin's narration and the ties this story had to his novel. I was a little disappointed all of Tarkin's mercenaries were killed without us learning anything about them. This was a nice one-and-done story, I'm really looking forward to "Fortress Vader" next issue

KamNale likes this.
  18. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    This issue was a bit of a disappointment. First one of the series I haven't found interesting. A pity. Hopefully Fortress Vader will prove more fascinating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kalzeth and KamNale like this.
  19. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I enjoyed it! especially I found interesting the respect and appreciation Tarkin has for Vader´s talents. A certain dose of mutual respect was clear for me from the start, in ANH, but it´s great to see it verbalized by Tarkin.

The one thing that is a little curious for me, is that I may have been mistaken all this time, or it was open enough to interpretation for it to be presented in new perspectives, but I always saw Tarkin´s reaction to Vader choking Motti as surprise or intrigue. It was a display that I imagined has never been seen before by someone as dismissive to the matters of the Force as Tarkin... I wouldn´t have expected right away that that reaction was meant to say "poor Motti, I know exactly how you feel, I´ve been there myself!".

Now, for Castle Vader, I find the prospect of that arc really exciting!

20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    this was a fun issue.

I like that the Carrion Spike came to pick up Tarkin at the end. Good bit of continuity there with the Poe Dameron comic

BigAl6ft6 and Vialco like this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Burning Seas Part 1-5: #13-17
    Bad Ground #18

Loved Bad Ground. Didn't know/expect a one off.

22. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I like that the Carrion Spike came to pick up Tarkin at the end. Good bit of continuity there with the Poe Dameron comic

Well, also the novel Tarkin.

There's not much I like in Star Wars these days after TLJ and Solo.

However, Vader continues to remain a gem. This was a great story and was one of the only stories in either Legends or Canon that gives Vader any redeemable qualities.

'cause Tarkin may not know why Vader asked but I'm assuming that Vader actually wanted to die. However, being Anakin at his core he can't bring himself to just kill himself. He has to go out fighting...even if he really wants the other side to win.

Also,this makes Tarkin pretty darn impressive.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    KamNale and Vialco like this.
  23. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    FYI,

Tarkin discovered that Vader has a range. He's not able to just focus on a person's visual and then use the Force. He's limited by distance.

This is an indication of a Force user's powers. Palpatine was able to choke people from across the galaxy.

Also, Vader cloaks and decloaks. Nice. The male version of the Queen of Blades. The King of Blades?

This series is so cool.

Awesome world building.

24. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Was a one shot fire and forget, entertaining but dumb.

So basically Vader somehow is fortunate enough on being on a planet where he could acquire
    a creature's hide that can digitally completely cloak him. Yet actual cloaking tech was rare in the Star Wars universe,lol. All anyone had to do was kill these creatures and take their skins or study them and create tech. Anyhow, this effect is what saves Vader from being shot by a sniper and being just shot dead period, and surviving the entire comic. It was basically his invisibility cloak from Potter. I don't understand the reasoning here on this, when we know the Empire's Shadow Troopers had personal cloaking devices, why didnt Vader just upgrade if Sidious did not supply him with one from the start. Also why would Vader forget that Tarkin himself as a cloaked ship?!

Why would slugthrowers fair better than blasters, Tarkin based this assumption on Vader blocking bolts, why couldn't he just stop slugs the same way, or simply destroy the weapons with the Force. In fact two things occur in the panels, one Vader destroys the flamethrower weapons and apparently Vader can get shot with apparently what was bullets point blank and his armor holds up. Did Tarkin assume that slugs would penetrate the armor, did he use armor piercings rounds, did he know whether or not if Vader's suit was even fire retardant and fire proof?

I didnt care for this issue, felt like a contrived and thought up over night by watching Man with the Golden Gun, Predator & Jason X. Vader always getting his "armored" suit partially destroyed so often lately has lost its novelty effect, its basically like Spider Man's costume now.

Tarkin surrounding himself with lame generic throwaway characters didnt strike me as very Tarkin-like, this character was around Jedi Knights and CIS warmachines so he would've known what would've worked and what would not, Vader is basically a composite of Jedi and battle droid. Slug throwers and flamethrowers, so using bullets that cannot pass through leather, yet his space leather outfit and plastic metal is always getting torn to pieces, inconsistency galore lol. His big thing is really relying on rodent aliens that apparently cannot see, hear or smell Vader(or the animal hide he's wearing) then some kinda cyborg with special hearing aids that cannot hear Vader walking along the ground or his machinery and armor clanking about. How none of his grunts had hounds, no EMP guns, no light whips, ray shields and personal cloaking devices. There was no holograms, no infra-red, no thermal imaging equipment. The no use electro and magnetic weapons or defenses stuff that actually proved capable of capturing or killing Jedi during the Clone War. It made no sense really to be fighting a Jedi and Battle Droid the way they were.

No actual tension here, in that Vader could possibly be killed but always building on it that Tarkin could and he apparently knows it but goes through with it and makes it like had a grand plan and planning and studying Vader's weakness for so long and then chokes at the end or rather gets choked. When he had Vader down, all he does is stand there . He knew he could no kill Vader or he'll face the Emperor's punishment and Vader isnt the most pleasant person so why remain there, and in reality Vader could not kill Tarkin or he'll face punishment from Sidious . The whole thing was dumb since Vader was never in any danger since apparently Vader has yet to face a legit enemy since Kenobi and just going through jobbers, so it hard to believe that somehow Tarkin becomes essentially Vader's last ditch effort to test himself in a game of death with a cheap malevolent version of Allan Quatermain .

kalzeth likes this.
  25. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    The no use electro and magnetic weapons or defenses stuff that actually proved capable of capturing or killing Jedi during the Clone War. It made no sense really to be fighting a Jedi and Battle Droid the way they were.

By the time the story starts, Tarkin is already down to 8 trackers from 20. Assume all the fancy tech stuff was the first thing to be tried. I actually like the anacronistic methods here.

Besides, that this is meant to be a fast one shot. You'd have to write around all that and really, it wouldn't have been much more interesting than what we got because ultimately defeating all that tech would literally come down to "a wizard did it" as we just see Vader use the Force to defeat it all. Using the EMP would be a repeat of the scene in the first Vader series in which Cylo V shuts down all of Vader's systems and Vader just uses his anger to fuel the Force and make himself move with the Force. Been done, needless to see again, and would ultimately just slow down the story and remind us that when Vader gets angry he can make his body move with the Force. We know this. As for infrared red and all that, how do we know some of those hunters, like the cyborg, didn't have IR? Again, the explanation around that would be just that Vader uses the Force. Same with holograms.

Personal cloaks? I'm not sure if ship cloaks are rare but I don't remember seeing personal cloaks. Are those rare? I thought you had problems with the chameleon skin.

The skin is not a cloak, it's like chameleon skin. It's biological not technological. It merely takes on the background colors and Vader uses the Force to control it.

Are cloaks rare in New canon? They were in Legends but has that been firmly established in new canon?

As for using slugthrowers...well he already deflects blaster bolts with the Force...gotta try something different. Probably was thinking that perhaps solid projectiles would be harder to stop (after all is Vader deflecting or absorbing energy bolts? If the assumption is that he Force absorbs, maybe he might have a harder time deflecting a bunch of solid projectiles)

Finally. Eh. Tarkin seemed to beat Vader pretty handedly at the end. The problem is that didn't rush to kill Vader when he was incapacitated. Vader recovers and chokes him.

And this happens because Tarkin assumes that Vader doesn't really want to die but just wants to be tested.

The ultimate point of the comic to me, is to establish that deep down, a part of Vader wants to die.

Oh and add new level of bad assery to Tarkin.

EDIT: Looking at the comic again, Tarkin implies that Vader turned off his suit to avoid the respirator sounds, hence Vader is slowly dying. Can vader turn off just the respirator or does the whole suit need to turn off?

Either way it kind addresses the issue of EMP. Force of will (no pun intended) keeps Vader going even without his life support.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.