main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Keep in mind...Zsinj had a pretty good thing going on...Others might have had supply issues but he controlled a sizable piece of territory and was working covertly in other areas.

Daneira likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    From the preview for Star Wars #50:

[​IMG]

There are 14 cruisers shown, two more than the last issue. None of the three Home One-types are shown, plus we have what appears to be an MC75 of sorts! :D

I like both of the winged designs, the fact that the artist shows two different types would seem to imply that one of these winged cruiser types is different from the Liberty-type. The seven cruisers that are more bumpy are most likely Liberty's... but who knows for sure! At the same token, artistic license means that from issue to issue the cruisers appear different... so I'm not sure. :p

We'll learn more next week! ;)

--Adm. Nick

3. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, what do we make of the Resistance Intersystem Transport slated to be featured, life-size, at the Disney Parks' SW Galaxy's Edge, seen here?

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2018/06/29/star-wars-galaxys-edge-dispays/

Almost a literal kitbash of a CR90 and a U-wing, which begs the question of who's manufacturing it. It seems like SW:GE is being treated as canon in more or less the same way as a video game storyline (and the planet, Batuu, is set to feature in Thrawn Alliances). We're not sure quite when it fits in the timeline (my bet is between VII and IX) but we do know they're taking care not to mix up eras willy nilly as with Star Tours, so most likely this is a canon design. It'll be interesting to see how this all goes!

JediBatman and Senator Wan like this.
  4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Kind of reminds me of the Yb-300 from Galaxies, only militarized: [​IMG]

JediBatman, Senator Wan and Iron_lord like this.
  5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    YESSSS. I have been searching for a solid Resistance troop carrier for months, and have been trying to adapt to the lack of good ones while GMing an RPG with some friends. Cannot wait to see it in action. I do kinda like the concept art drop ship from TFA a bit more though

JediBatman likes this.
  6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, I definitely love the design!

[​IMG]

It's always good to see Corellian designs. I wish we could see the description plaque better!

--Adm. Nick

7. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    So we have no scale, but what are the chances that that is seriously a CR-90 bridge strapped onto another ship? I am fine with it being literally the same make, but I would kinda prefer these to be actual CEC designs. Like they made a damn good bridge so they decided to more or less port it over exactly to a new ship that maybe they had struggled to find a good bridge layout for or something.

I want a Resistance transport that is actually made for bring a troop transport. I like the other one, but it is clearly just whatever the Resistance could find.

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm guessing that the opening is a standard ramp for troops. I don't think that is a CR90 bridge, the vessel appears to be far smaller. I'm guessing it is a step up or two in size from the Resistance transports we see in TFA.

--Adm. Nick

9. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh yeah it must be smaller, but it could be more or less the same, just scaled down. Honestly makes me wonder if this thing is part of the CR series of ships.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  10. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    There are pictures from Galactic Nights that show the scale of the full size ship relative to the crew building it, when I find the pictures I’ll post them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediBatman and vncredleader like this.
  11. Senator Wan

Aug 13, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AzureOwl, JediBatman and vncredleader like this.
  12. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016

So is there a chance this is, or is the evolution of, the larger model U-Wing deployed at Jakku?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Daneira and JediBatman like this.
  13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Oh, I wish we could see the plaque too. I sure do like it and it's cool to see that the FJF thread seems to as well.

14. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    The X-Wing engines look a bit out of place without wings in the middle, so does the Corellian "hammerhead" part in such a small ship (I'll hold my final judgement for this for when we'll see a frontal shot tho). Not a big fan of the design overall.

15. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Way too small to be anything but a shuttle. If it were scaled up x3, it would be great for a platoon and a few light speeders.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

16. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    CEC's answer to the U-Wing, maybe?

17. Senator Wan

Aug 13, 2017
    [​IMG]

18. Senator Wan

Aug 13, 2017
    I’m curious as to how the Resistance is now able to get their hands on a dedicated troop transport.

TheRedBlade and vncredleader like this.
  19. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Possible they are a more recent New Republic ship, and so having them end up in the Resistance's hands in even decent numbers would be hard to manage. That or this is actually a ship that will see mass production only post TLJ

Vthuil, TheRedBlade and JediBatman like this.
  20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Or it is a civilian transport hauler with the typical CEC "No, we don't plan to add more speed and some guns, but if you did, the hardpoints are prewired and power feeds color coded, wink wink" approach.

Daneira, Vthuil, TheRedBlade and 5 others like this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    So... Star Wars #50 and the rest of this arc is gonna be Fleet Junkie candy! Spoilers (fleet related) below:

• We see a total of 24 Mon Cala cruisers around Mako-Ta Base!
    • This is wonderful, as it reminds the reader that the 12 cruisers that defected from the Mon Cala merchant fleet aren't the only source of Mon Cala cruisers for the Rebellion.
    • We see the following types of cruisers: Home One-type MC80a (at least 1), MC75 cruisers (5), multiple winged cruisers (count varies panel to panel, but at least 13), and those wide winged merchant cruisers (5). :D
    • General Dodonna seems to be overall Rebel commander, with the fleet divided into four groups: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta.
    • Alpha = Ackbar, Beta = Evram Lajaie, Gamma = Hera Syndulla, Delta = Willard
    • The Death Squadron arrives!

I posted more specific plot spoilers in the thread for issue #50, but this arc is definitely looking to be VERY exciting, even if we know the ultimate outcome (ie, Rebels escape, part of the fleet survives, etc).

--Adm. Nick

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    JediBatman and Senator Wan like this.
  22. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    @AdmiralNick22, can you explain how the new canon has defined the MC80/MC80a/Liberty/wingless-Liberty/Home One classes of Mon Cal cruisers?

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    At this point, the canon explanation is as follows:
    • MC75 = modified city ships like the Profundity
    • MC80 = winged cruisers like the Liberty
    • MC80a = cruisers like Home One
    • MC85 = purpose built warships like the Raddus
    Of course, this isn't all encompassing. We don't know the formal designations for the wingless Liberty variants. The recent arc of the Star Wars ongoing series by Marvel seems to be implying two versions of the winged cruiser, as well as a wide-winged cruiser variant that was originally part of the Mon Cala merchant fleet.

So, in short, the movie variants are clearly established. The rest, not so much. :p

--Adm. Nick

24. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    This may have been mentioned already, as the book came out months ago, but according to Rebel Files, there were 5 SSD's in service around 8 months after Yavin, the Executor, Annihilator, Arbitrator, Ravager, and Eclipse

JediBatman and vncredleader like this.
  25. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Looking at that last panel I have a somewhat different count: (5) MC75, (8) Wingless, including those nearest the station, (7) wide-winged cruisers including Willard's, (8) winged cruisers.

A few points of interpretation could be applied here:
    • Only one kind of winged cruiser is shown (with a observation tower) in the distance shots, while the earlier panels show two different kinds, (7) of which has a tower and more blisters and (6) of which have not such tower and smoother surface .
    • Only one kind of wingless non-MC75 cruiser is shown in the last panel, but it does not clearly resemble an MC80a.
    • The wingless cruiser in the glamour shot of the completed fleet is not an MC75, but appears to be a variant of the the wingless type with the observation tower.
    • In this issue, only one MC80a was seen, but three were seen in the previous issue.
    Thus is terms of a maximal plausible interpretation of issue #50's images we could have
    (8) MC80-winged
    (5) MC75
    (1) MC80-wingless with ventral tower
    (7) Wide-winged cruisers
    (8) Wingless cruisers
    (6) MC80-smooth winged
    (3) MC80a

For a total of 38 visible Mon Cala Star Cruisers at Mako-To.