main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    So don't butcher any character. The point is your approach inherently butchers stories by forcing them to fit a new narrative, whereas the ST moved all of those stories out of its path before it started up the steamroller. One's more considerate than the other, even if it means people think the stories have fallen by the wayside and can't understand why.

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm not sure that my idea of dark Jaina "butchers" Jaina any more than 8 "butchered" Luke or ESB "butchered" Luke's father (or turned Kenobi into a liar) because we don't know what happened to Jaina after 44 ABY. In fact, even the original narrative had the surprisingly shady Imperial Knights come out of nowhere, and considering Jaina was with the Fels at the IK's founding, one only needs connect the dots...

Also see Jim Phelps in first mission impossible film. The film had no material it was overriding from the TV show, and like the st was bringing the franchise to a new audience. I don't think my Jaina idea is worse than what happened to Phelps, and if it was good enough for MI it's good enough for SW.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  3. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    And this way i like mixing the two becuase i love both honestly it be asking who my fravrite child i can't i'm sorry that way i love mixing the two so much fun.
    Throw Jania being evil would be interesting in my canon i mean you have Jacen Solo and Ben solo both go dark side and now her. Poor solo kids. It would make snice after losing two brothers to the dark side and having to kill one and who know what happens to ren i feel like he's to die in episode 9 i chould see her losed her self to the dark side from that

sidv88 likes this.
  4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Vader wasn't "butchered" in ESB. He was pretty much a blank slate in ANH. By Luke's appearance in the ST he had gone through his whole character arc in the OT. He had a firmly established character for nearly forty years. Then TLJ happened.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  5. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    That was NOT luke in TLJ. It was a imposter or first order spy. It deffinatly wasn't luke :(

kalzeth and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I meant the whole concept of Luke's father being a good person, although TCW rectified this somewhat. Kenobi arguably had his character butchered by ESB by turning him into a liar, and despite all the handwaving over the decades I feel this was never really properly resolved. I don't feel it fits with the character of Kenobi we got in the PT either.

7. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017

Kenobi didn't lie.....what he said was true......from a certain point of view [face_laugh]

Kenobi was pretty nasty anyway. He left his former best friend to slowly burn to death in agony rather than just finishing him off, a mistake that cost the galaxy.

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Oh come on, Kenobi can't kill an unarmed man. It's not the Jedi way.

Seriously though, this scene is a good example of how Jedi follow their religion to the letter against all common sense, and surprisingly in-universe this is never called out on. You would think something like this would have been a centerpoint on why Luke wants to end the Jedi (their rules are too strict and cause more harm than good when taken literally; no offense to anyone but this is a view I take on real world religions as well. Jedi religion preaches selflessness, but leaving Anakin to burn isn't selfless at all, yet Kenobi follows Jedi rules without question preaching it as selfless, ironic.), but in the end we just got a Luke who flipped out because he outright violated the rules (pulling a saber for a split second on a kid, ignoring Jedi rules on control) and not any result of the Jedi rules themselves. Thus, Luke's blaming the Jedi for his own actions made little sense.

kalzeth and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  9. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yet again your first response in an interaction is laced with antagonism. I was making a separate, independent point that I read the whole series and didn't like it. In a thread asking if we like the new canon.

crazyewok and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  10. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    You're not wrong. The tense of the writing was jarring, and the anachronistic humour was awful.

crazyewok and kalzeth like this.
  11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    @Xander Vos If you have a problem with me, or a point i've made, take it to me in a PM. I'm not arguing about that any more in this thread, as per this post:

vncredleader likes this.
  12. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Not sure what that post has to do with me or how I was expected to see that as an addendum to your post directed at me.

If you would stop being so aggressive every time we converse then I'd have no issue.

13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Again, take it to PMs if you have an issue with me.

14. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I don't have an issue with you, you seem to have an issue with me which is what I was raising. Perhaps if you are unable to converse with people in a reasonable manner you shouldn't be posting?

15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    This thread has had enough off topic conversation involving me. If you want to continue, please PM me instead of continually posting about it here.

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    @Xander Vos @Outsourced

Okay, let's get this thread back on topic. A request to continue a discussion via PM is not against forum policy, it is often a courtesy to other users in a thread when a conversation becomes a back and forth between two users. Do not mini-mod or bait each other. This is my first and only friendly reminder.

--Adm. Nick

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    And now for my customary non sequitur to get a new convo going: Since FACPOV and Cento Bight did so well, do yinz think that we will begin getting something more in the vein of the "tales of" book? I know we have the short story collections for TFA, but I would love a "tales of Jedha city" or "Tales of the Resistance" all about the crews of the other ships during the chase in TLJ.

I always loved short stories in Legends, and I think canon has done very well whenever it follows suit

Jedi Ben and Outsourced like this.
  18. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I'd hope so, though I'd wager there have at least been discussions about putting a FACPOV 2 together for ESB's 40th anniversary.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Aren’t we getting one for Solo? Thought I heard that

20. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    There's Tales from Vandor, but it seems to be a journal along the lines of Rey's Survival Guide than an actual "Tales of..." anthology.

JediBatman and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah. My mistake. Didn’t particularly read the article about it

22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    God I hope so. FACPOV is such a solid collection, and short stories are a great way to vhett new authors.

23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Don't think we'll be getting a "Tales from Jedha City" one since we're a bit far out from Rouge One. (Also it would be a bit samey to end each story with "and then everyone exploded"). And I don't think we'll get a "Tales of the Resistance" about the other ships in TLJ since the Canot Bight book seems to fill that slot for TLJ. Also these sorts of "Tales" books usually focus on locations with lots of weird aliens, and the Resistance we see in the movie is mostly human.

24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    A FACPOV for TESB seems to be a no brainer. The first one was wildly popular and sold well. I'm just hoping in 2023 we get one for ROTJ... I'd probably die of happiness to get a story from Ackbar's POV.

--Adm. Nick

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah, would be fantastic to have TESB and ROTJ ‘from a certain point of view’ books.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018