main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Sweet Jeebus [face_plain]

Abadacus and Healer_Leona like this.
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    AFAIK, that one was amended by Ingalls Wilder herself later on to "no settlers" instead of "no people".

That aside, we have here the case of an author who is very much the product of her times - born two years after slavery was finally abolished in the USA, died eight years before the Voting Rights act which put an end to straight discriminatory practices against black persons' rights to vote, and living through the latter half of a pioneer era in which Indians were systematically despoiled and ended up confined to reservations. "No people, only Indians" is literally what the environment she grew up in taught her to think.

In that respect Ingalls Wilder's writing is very much reflective of the environment in which she lived. But its not said environment that sees their name stripped, just the writer who was borne of it, and I doubt the stripping of her name from said award is accompanied by a condemnation of the America which committed crime after crime against the Indians and refused black people the right to vote.

Valairy Scot, Ghost and Juliet316 like this.
  3. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    I read about that......made me throw up a bit in my mouth.....

4. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    WTF???

No. Just no.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, it was amended after her death, by the publisher, because they received complaints.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  6. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Then thanks for the correction on that.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm not sure that's an entirely characterization of every country concert either. But I'm sure it's a percentage high enough to scare many black people away.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Article says "Wilder apologised for her thoughtlessness and amended a line in Little House on the Prairie."

Anyways, yeah, I see her as a product of her times, and a good look into the thinking of the times. I've read the books, and besides that changed line (which I didn't even know about until today), I don't remember any racism in it, although it has been like 15 years. I can understand changing the Award's name, but without slighting the author herself. She did make her own changes when writing to take away some race-based elements she knew were offensive even if historically accurate. Such as when some sympathetic town characters covered their faces in white paint to do a comedy routine in one scene in one of the books, it was a change from what actually happened, which was blackface.
    (I personally think it would have been better if she was more historically accurate about those kinds of things, and did reveal it was blackface and not white-face-painted clowns, just to understand the times better and what it was like for race relations back then. It shouldn't be racist or censored to simply document the racist practices and thinking of the past).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I listened to Priscilla Renae's album and liked it a lot. Although like most modern country, it doesn't quite feel country enough to me. It's sorta a country meets R&B album. Which is cool because country and blues are very close cousins.

I just will always prefer Johnny Cash to all music though :p

Ava G. and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I laughed way too ****ing hard at this...

[​IMG]

Rew, solojones, CT-867-5309 and 5 others like this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Man in Lancaster, Pennsylvania gets tazed for completely complying.

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I think the guy was honestly confused about what they wanted him to do. He tries several different things to comply. He just didn't get that "straight out" meant straightening/extending his legs in front of him. You can tell he thought the cop meant horizontally, as he kept spreading his legs. The female officer said "put your legs straight out and cross them now", so he put his legs in front of him and then went into a butterfly stretch, which is an understandable interpretation of that direction.

But I guess someone wanted to use a taser.

16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm adding this here from the hometown thread. My son starts high school this fall at Oak Park River Forest High School, the subject of a new 10-part documentary series, America to Me, airing on Starz beginning in August. The trailer alone is pretty outstanding, provides a fairly clear overview of the issues at stake in the series.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    This is interesting. I love the Wilder books, but I've only read them in translation. In the Swedish translation that I've read that is definitely a blackface scene, in fact that was the only reference I had when people started talking about "blackface", which is because that kind of act hasn't existed here.

There are definitely racist elements in her stories, but I would say more from a child's view of especially the Native Americans being exciting and exotic, and when I grew up and noticed how the adults responded to her it's clear that the people around here were the kind of people that wold say "no people, only Indians". Now I need to go and check what that particular line says in my Swedish translation.

Pensivia, Ghost and Gamiel like this.
  18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Ghost likes this.
  19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm fascinated by the fact the Rep. Bynum was put in touch with the person that called the cops on her and the woman apologized.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dear fellow white women: please stop calling the damn cops unless you see an actual crime being committed in which someone might get hurt or lose property. Selling water, using a charcoal grill in a park, or walking through a neighborhood without being recognized does not count, and you’re making the rest of us look like paranoid racist idiots. Kthnxby

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Jedi Merkurian and Rew like this.
  22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I do like it when these people realize they've been caught being a giant racist and that that has consequences for them and their victims. She's freaking out and breaking down because she realizes what she has done.

She says she didn't mean to racially profile because she realizes that's exactly what she's done. She doesn't finish the sentence, but right before that she says "I feel really"...the end of that phrase is "bad". And you can tell she's about to cry.

Omg I swear I'm a good person! Please don't make me sound horrible! Please don't destroy my life for being a giant racist! :_|

I actually don't like destroying people but I guess I feel some schadenfreude when someone is afraid it will happen. Maybe check yourself.

LOL and google informs me that Permit Patty actually did call the police. Wow. Did she really think she could get away with that lie? Don't feel so bad about her.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah I posted that in US politics yesterday.

Just incredible in its stupidity.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, the recording has been released. She called 911--that's supposed to be for emergencies, you ****ing moron... ugh.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    As much as I hate this use of force when they could have done a better job explaining it to him by demonstrating it to his face, at least it was a taser. Based on what has happened over the last several years(decades? centuries) LEO using non-lethal force is a step up.