main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It (2017)
    Well I never saw the original (nor read the Stephen King novel), so I can't really compare it to anything. It thought it was ok; one of those movies that you see just to say you've seen it. Some of the child actors were far more believable than others. In the past decade or so I've had a real issue with child actors in movies. They just seem so fake; like they're trying to force an emotion with you. I liked the girl who played Beverly and the pudgy boy who she befriended and developed a crush on, but the others just tried too hard. Maybe this weekend I'll borrow the original from my library to compare. I'm not sure if I'm so excited about a sequel; but I guess it's bound to happen.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There is a sequel coming. If you've read the King novel the first film followed the part with the characters as kids. The second film picks up with them as adults.

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah, it would be best to read the book first, then see Chapter 1, especially since the book bounces back and forth between the past and present.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I thought the book was pretty good. I'd probably go for a re-read when the next film comes out.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  5. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    The book definitely had the It factor. :p

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't bother with the TV film. Besides Tim Curry, who is arguably better and more faithful to King's version of Pennywise, it's incredibly dated, and the segments with the grown ups has some astoundingly terrible acting.

"Why is It so meeaaaaan?"

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They used a special lighting rig in the movie to emulate the color palette of the original film. IIRC, the original film didn't have all the Blade Runner-like holograms and such, and while the city was certainly illuminated at night, the day scenes were much more stark. I think later incarnations of GITS brought more of that in, however, and the live action film drew from multiple sources.

I wouldn't call it a waste of time- it does try to do some different visual and tonal things for a modern fantasy film instead of just trying to copy a LOTR or GOT look.

It is flawed, though- the human storyline is rather poor and dully acted. The Orc storyline is actually pretty good, however. The wizard storyline was also fun/effective, I felt.

The plot isn't nonsensical, but it is very dense- they packed in far too much deep lore for a single film. As a result, unless you're already a WarCraft fan (or have one to watch the film with), a lot of the references and backstory connections are going to be lost on you (hell, I'm aware of the general backstory to WarCraft and it even lost me eventually). Definitely a failure of the script, but one with intent rather than one born of just throwing stuff against the wall.

But there was certainly enough of a basis of a decent movie there that I'd still look forward to a sequel that could easily address the problems of the first film. Sequel is unlikely to happen, though, unfortunately.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  8. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I finally decided to watch "Bright" on Netflix. At some point in it with the repetitive "back up"/"shut the ___ up" tough-talking dialogue I just didn't care. I should have started cutting the grass when I started watching the movie. I really want to drop Netflix.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Noomi Rapace is the only reason I want to see the movie; but from what I've heard it's not that great.

10. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    The Rocketeer

Juke Skywalker and Master_Lok like this.
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The Shadow Boxing (1979) - The more successful sequel to The Spiritual Boxer (1975). I figured I'd give this one a look despite Wong Yu (and what I said in my Dirty Ho revisit a few days ago). Once again, Lau Kar Lueng explores spiritual boxing, but this time it is corpse herders (generally Taoist priests who delivery Kyonsi (the hopping vampires) to their hometowns for a fee). No priests this time, but Chen Wu the Magic Fist (Lau's brother Kar-Wing) and Wong Yue who plays Wu's bumbling, forgetful apprentice. Shortly thereafter, a thief posing as a kyonsi (played by Gordon Lau) makes trouble for the corpse herders as he tries to avoid capture by the corrupt officials who framed him for several crimes.

When Chen Wu is injured by the corrupt thugs looking for Gordon, Wong Yue takes up a female apprentice (Cecilia Wong). I ultimately felt the story fell kind of flat, especially since Lau Kar Leung has a habit of making any kind of spiritual boxing appear to be a hoax (maybe that's due to the film(s) he choreographed for Chang Cheh that took the spiritual boxers and the Boxer's Rebellion seriously? IDK.)

The kyonsi kung fu is a lot of fun, but as usual Wong Yue just doesn't carry the movie, especially since there's barely any comedy in this film. It was fun to see regular players from Lau's stable here (Wilson Tong and Norman Chu to name two), but I was kind of bored before it was revealed that Gordon's kyonsi wasn't a vampire.

Perhaps I am spoiled by the original Mr. Vampire (1985) which was the first non SB/Bruce Lee HK horror comedy I saw many years ago, but I was hoping for some taoist priest stuff here. Glad I did not buy the HD version. Not sure who this would appeal to, but it just goes to show that Lau Kar-Lueng and I usually do not mix (so far, only Shaolin Mantis and Dirty Ho are the two movies he directed that I really enjoy. And the opening scene of The Spiritual Boxer since that had some great "legit" spiritual boxing in it (Ti Lung, Chen Kuan-Tai and Wilson Tong are fantastic. .)

Oh well.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    AKA the third best Indiana Jones film :p. Seriously though, I love The Rocketeer. A vastly underrated, underappreciated film that deserved a better fate (and sequels). Long overdue for a reboot. But not an update. Don't you dare update it Disney. Purpose defeated.

Jurassic Park (1993)
    - Plot; An eccentric billionaire brings a group of doctors to inspect his experimental new theme park where the attractions are genetically bred dinosaurs.

In 1993, director Steven Spielberg released two films. That in and of itself is a rare feat, but that those two films are so diametric to one another on virtually every level speaks volumes about the rarified air he was breathing at the time. One of those films (Schindler's List) went on to win the Academy award for Best Picture and Best Director. The other (Jurassic Park) became the highest grossing film of all-time. I think it's safe to say that 1993 was a good year for Mr. Spielberg.

The man who directed Jurassic Park was not the same after completing Schindler's List. In a way, Jurassic Park represents the closing chapter on the first half of Spielberg's career. The man who all but created the Summer blockbuster w/Jaws has certainly returned to the "popcorn" genre since, but those efforts have all felt obligatory, too often lacking the enthusiasm and sense of wonder that infused his earlier efforts. Schindler's List changed Spielberg, and thus the films that he made. That's what makes Jurassic Park such an interesting bit of pop culture archeology beyond its merits as a film. Regarding the latter, there are many.

I vividly recall my friend coming over the day he saw Jurassic Park and telling me that it was the best movie he'd seen since Star Wars. That set the bar awfully high, and while my experience wasn't quite the same as his, I was certainly in awe of the amazing special f/x and I did enjoy my self immensely. Over the years I've revisited the original about once every five years or so, and each time I actually gain a bit more of an appreciation for it. The wonder and discovery of the first act is something they were never able to re-capture in the sequels (for obvious reasons) and the white-knuckle intensity of its action scenes are proof of just how good Spielberg was at this sort of thing before he started making these kinds of films more out of obligation than passion.

The cast is great, with Sam Neill proving to be a charming lead in what could've been a thankless roll. Richard Attenborough is an absolute delight, Laura Dern is likeably spunky and Jeff Goldblum steals every scene he's in as the eccentric "chaotician" Ian Malcolm.

This really is a grand adventure. A sort of Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Jaws, fitting given they're all directed by the same man. - 8/10

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Amen. The Rocketeer is a really good old school adventure film. I love films set in that time period and they capture it perfectly, even employing a Rondo Hatton style henchman too.

Speaking of which Park I picked up the first 3 in a blu ray boxset for £12. Bargain and I often think the second one is under rated.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Master_Lok and Juke Skywalker like this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The problem with the second Park movie was that it ventured too far off of Michael Chricton's novel. Where the first movie certainly took its liberties; Lost World was just a completely different story altogether. There were parts that I liked in the movie; but overall it didn't have the same feel as the original.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I've never read The Lost World so I can't say if I believe a stricter adaptation would've made for a better film, but as I understand it, it's (the novel) not nearly as well regarded as Jurassic Park. Not unlike their respective movies.

I can say that TLW suffers from Spielberg's compulsory effort (If I recall, he didn't want anything to do w/directing a sequel and did so grudgingly). By almost any other measure it's a serviceable popcorn action-adventure flick, but not a patch on the first one IMO. It's been a while since I watched it, but I recall one of my biggest gripes being that Goldblum's Ian Malcolm seems like a different character than the one we meet in the original.

JP3 is fine, I guess. I like director Joe Johnston, but the modest aspirations can't hide the fact that there's just not enough butter to spread over the stale toast that is this premise. JW is sorta akin to The Force Awakens for me. It lacks anything resembling originality and gets by solely on a "Greatest hits" approach. Sort of like a 70s band leaning heavily on their classic catalog after being booed one too many times after saying "Alright, here's one from our new album.". I've yet to gin up enough enthusiasm to go see JW:FK. The reviews are weak, but it's doubtful they can hear the complaints over the sound of the cash registers going "Ka-Ching!".

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Iron Man.
    I enjoyed it, it was a fun action movie.

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    The Beyond (1981) Well I liked the blonde, blind girl and the ending. Most characters’ reactions to their impending demises were very funny though. The acid on the face gag was the only truly gross effect...

The ending almost makes up for everything that came before it, but I am pretty sure I will stick with Fulci’s giallos going forward.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Murder on the Orient Express. Well made dramatic mystery. Much, much better than the 1974 Albert Finney movie.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Table 19
    [​IMG]

In a word: Adoring

Table 19 is like The Breakfast Club of wedding reception tables, as a cast of not so random non-associated quirky characters placed together for a certain period and they have to make the most of it.

The film is lead by Anna Kendrick's character, Eloise, where she attends a wedding where she finds herself sitting at the "expendables" table, where the other guests are not all that desirable. And like her, everyone at the table is just trying to make the most of the situation. However, the day goes on, personalities clash, truths are revealed and drama ensues. The movie hits its high notes when the characters become honest with each other, which I found very endearing and emotionally captivating as it provides character growth and empathy. Additionally, it gives the movie its heart.

Table 19 does a wonderful job with developing their characters and making them empathetic as we spend time with them and begin to understand their life situations. At first, the meeting and relationship with each other is awkward and somewhat standoffish but find themselves relating to each other. The story telling and script are both well done as the film would appear to be a paint by the numbers romantic comedy but takes a certain amount of twists and turns so it doesn't become exactly that; which is refreshing.

The film features an 80's soundtrack which made me really love it and want to watch it multiple times, as it's a beautiful story with adorable characters and set to awesome music.

Table 19 is a film that I adore and gives off the same vibes as The Breakfast Club.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Table 19 has a fantastic cast. I just remember it really getting ragged on back when it came out, so I never saw it. Your review makes me think I'll check it out.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, Table 19 received only 26% on Rotten Tomatoes, with the consensus being:
    I caught the movie on HBO yesterday, and I'm a fan of Anna Kendrick, as I think of her as the modern day John Cusack of Hollywood; another favorite actor of mine. And as such, I found Table 19 also something like John Cusack would have been in.

Perhaps expectations hurt this film, but like I posted above, I found the film sweet and adorable. Much better than most romantic comedy types that have come out in the last decade, as most of those are totally formulaic and at times mean spirited.

22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Anna Kendrick [face_love]

I never heard of Table 19; if it's on HBO as @Sith_Sensei__Prime mentioned, maybe I'll watch it this weekend. Even though my friend swears by the Pitch Perfect movies I haven't cared to see those. My favorite movie with her is the Clooney movie Up In The Air. She was good in 50/50 as well.

23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'The Purge: Election Year'

The idea of the purge is far more interesting than the two movies I've seen in the series. I really was disappointed by the first film as I felt it took this interesting larger idea and brought it down to a small home invasion boogeyman horror film. 'Election Year' is a better film than the first Purge movie because it actually explores the dystopian world. It's no surprise that the scenes with the drolly titled new founding fathers are the best and scariest of the film. There's always been a correlation between our societal fears and our horror films and these scenes show a mirror of the ugly kind of climate we live in right now.

The thing that sort of disappointed me is that for the most part we don't get much of these villains. The movie for the most part is still a boogeyman chase film. It's a larger spectacle than the first film and with characters who are more likable and well developed but inevitably it gets kind of boring seeing these nameless drones go after our heroes. If the film didn't have leads like Elizabeth Mitchell and Mykelti Williamson I might have tuned out. They treat the material with the utmost sincerity. The successful moments of the film belong to them. It's needed because James DeMonaco isn't that great of a screenwriter. The scenes without the far out philosophical purge commentary play like a bad 'Friday the 13th' clone.

DeMonaco is really the factor holding back this film from being really good. He's a mediocre screenwriter who has just enough little sprinkles of intriguing ideas to keep you invested in the midsts of bad dialogue and plot setup. As a director he is a waste. Obviously the purge takes place at night but that doesn't necessitate the film actually being so dark you have trouble seeing what is going on. The action and chase sequences are a cluster of chaos too. You can't tell what the heck is happening.

The cleverest commentary sort of falls to the wayside by the end. The film sets up the Purge villains as hypocrites who want to use the chaos to commit genocide on the poor to keep the rich rich. They use religious symbolism to justify it. Brilliant stuff. But to get into spoilers if I may when we finally confront the minister(played by Kyle Secor who gives one of the more effective horror performances in recent memory), it turns out he is actually a fanatic who believes in the purge on that face value religious philosophy. Wouldn't it be more effective if he were the hypocrite the heroes accused him of being?

It's a mediocre movie with some truly excellent moments. DeMonaco should let more talented film makers play in his 'Purge' universe.

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    A Quiet Place to Kill, A.K.A. Paranoia - :rolleyes:. The first stinker giallo I've seen Jean Sorel appear in. I do not think I've seen a single Umberto Lenzi film I've really liked (I put up with Man From Deep River, because it's Ivan Rassimov), but holy cow this was bad. Really glad I did not plunk down almost $50 for a limited edition blu of this film. I think In the Eye of the Hurricane did a similar story much, much better. Oh well.

25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Ant Man and the Wasp - funny and highly entertaining. I think I might have liked it better than the first one.