main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    In addition to the CEC thing already mentioned, while I'm sure they're not 100 percent locking in anything when it comes to details related to a theme park, the reference to moving troops between bases, plural, does imply a larger implicitly post-TLJ background in play.

2. Fire Dog

Fire Dog Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    Hey Nick, any way for the rest of us that don't get the issue to get some pics please?

3. Greybook

Greybook Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 29, 2018
    Links to piracy sites are not allowed

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2018
    Ketan-Shej likes this.
  4. Greybook

Apr 29, 2018
    Oops

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I've been considering that as well. It's hard with comics, as I'm always wary to take ships and numbers at face value. However, your count is dead on if we assume each cruiser shown is at Mako Ta. We'll know more as the issues come out, it is entirely possible that some of the ships are out of view behind Mako Ta. On one hand, it's fun to count ships and assume that the artist/writer are keeping count. On the other hand, we have to accept that ships will change issue to issue or sometimes panel to panel. :p

Also- I'll ALWAYS lean on the side of artistic license. ;)

I do like that they showed more than 12 cruisers though. That number was specifically tied to the merchant ships that mutinied at Mon Cala. The remaining 12-24+ cruisers are obviously existing MC75/MC80/MC80a cruisers previously outfitted by the Alliance at Telaris. I also very much liked the idea that the fleet was subdivided into four groups - Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta. There seems to be an implication (maybe just to me?) that Dodonna hold's some senior position as top Rebel commander, as he (not Ackbar) is the one to give the order.

Part of me wonders if Dodonna is gonna make it out of this arc... as we never see him in TESB and ROTJ, nor do we see him in any canon books post-TESB either...

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    He's not a pirate. He's just a simple businessman.....

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Gamiel and vncredleader like this.
  7. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah, I think all signs are that SWGE "occurs" in the gap between TLJ and IX.

They really do seem to be tilting at make SWGE as "canon" and IU as it can be -- as I mentioned they're laying groundwork for it in the EU and they're also not mixing up eras for the "greatest hits" effect of Star Tours. Now, how exactly this (and the storyline for the adjoining hotel experience) works, we don't know; my guess is that it's a "storyline" that sort of repeats every day with mild variations depending on what park patrons do. In that sense it could be as "canon" as any given videogame, I'd venture. I do wonder how long they can keep that up, though... I love the idea that the shops sell only IU items, but Disney may quickly discover that patrons are more likely to buy BB8 Mickey hats and toy lightsabers with pictures of Goofy Vader on them or whatever.

More on topic -- what can we make of the blurry, cropped photo of the new fighter on the tweet of the revealed RESISTANCE character art?

8. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    I'm not sure if I can link it here, but a picture of the Resistance characters has been leaked.
    Notably, it also features a frontal shot of that new fighter and, as someone suggested in this thread, it's a "WW-2 fighter turned backwards", with only a pair of angled wings. Lenght cannot be determined from this shot but it seems to be much taller than an X-Wing, with the cockpit being pretty small when compared to the rest of the fuselage. Both weaponry and engines sit in the middle of the wings, not in the ends. The image is pretty blurry, but there seems to a movable cannon at the end of the fuselage, just like in the ARC-170.
    All in all, even as someone who's a big fan of WW-2 fighters, I'm not a big fan of the design. Definitively not a T-85, possibly some sort of scout/recon craft given the size.
    EDIT: just noticed it was mentioned in the post right above mine, lol.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  9. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm rather fond of it, personally. A problem I had with TFA was how derivative the ship designs were of the OT - TLJ went some ways toward correcting this, but still had to live with it. So I like that the "hero ship" of Resistance doesn't really look like an obvious descendant of any Rebel fighter.

10. Greybook

Apr 29, 2018
    It has a very Crimson Skies feel in my opinion. Personally I too, like it

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

11. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I think between us we described the new fighter pretty well from just seeing the top. It's obviously inspired by the F4U Corsair (which I almost mentioned when I spoke of gull wings (meant to say inverted)).
    I wasn't expecting the circular nose though but I do quite like it. I also like the raised up cockpit, again like the Corsair. I'm not too keen on how the wings join the fuselage though. The wing roots look a bit weak, too thin.

I'm now wondering what those two objects sticking out are, one out the rear and the other under the left wing. They seem to be the same thing?

TheRedBlade and MercenaryAce like this.
  12. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    Maybe they’re laser cannons and the one on the back is controlled by the astromech, similar to the manned turret on the back of the ARC-170?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Same here. Has a very nice "ww2 in space" vibe that gets to the roots of star wars inspiration yet isn't just a simple tweak on an established design.

I wonder if the whole squad will be flying those or if they will each have their own type of fighter.

14. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Until I know what it is really called, I'm going to call it the F-Wing. Because it reminds me of an F.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    To be fair, wasn't the old EU still using what is essentially T-65s 30 years after Yavin?

The T-70 is more of a change then that.

16. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    They used XJ X-Wings. They were clearly more advanced, especially with things like the StealthX as a sub-design. Regular old T-65's were used by poorer states like the Confederation. Even the Remnant pretty much ditched the old TIE/LNs for Preybirds, StarChasers (improved TIE Interceptors) and TIE Defenders. Without a doubt, there was a huge improvement in starfighter design in Legends, even if they were still going with ISDs as late as the Second GCW.

17. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    And yet the XJs were so similar to earlier T-65 models that not once, from the the moment they were introduced in Vector Prime to the end of the EU, did any author bother to describe how they were visually different from movie-era X-Wings. The closest we got StealthXs, which were black X-Wings.

Senator Wan and vncredleader like this.
  18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    We complained about that too, or at least I did.

Really, the ST seems to have picked up a lot of the bad habits of the late EU

CaptainPeabody and vncredleader like this.
  19. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    The XJs were pretty similar visually, but the T-70 isn't that different either. It's just a rejected concept art for the T-65.

20. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I honestly can't tell the T-65 and T-70 apart on sight at all. One of the reasons I gushed over the new A-Wing in TLJ is that there was actually a clear visible difference.

vncredleader likes this.
  21. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I was that way at first, but I have kinda adapted to looking right away at the engine turbines. 2 for 70, 4 for the 65

22. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I could tell them apart from the very start [face_plain]

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well than you are more perceptive than I :p

24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I could tell them apart from the start as well.

vncredleader likes this.
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Can you spot the difference between the T-65 and XJ ? (I'm guessing it was a fan made design but it was this model that I pictured when I read the novels.)
    [​IMG]

TheRedBlade likes this.