main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I love Branagh (actor and director). Especially when he's in his wheelhouse. Said wheelhouse does not include adapting Tom Clancy novels. I see his next film is adapting Artemis Fowl. Much better fit IMO, though adapting that particular series is at least a decade past its sell by date.

Master_Lok likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ocean's 8

A good heist movie - nice characters, good scenario and clothing, a fun plan that was interesting to watch unfold. Only minus is that it had only one real moments of “something unexpected comes up that needs to be fixed for the plan to work” and that was quickly fixed.

Recommend it if you like heist Movie.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The Belko Experiment
    [​IMG]

In a word: meh

As noted in the poster above, this film has a strong similarity to the Japanese film, Battle Royale but none of the cleverness, humor or wit of Office Space. Actually, nothing about this film reminded me about Office Space other than the setting of this movie is in an office.

The premise and the first 20 minutes or so are the high points of the film, after that is just becomes mostly flat film with some bumps of tension. I mean, the plot is pretty straight forward and the film proceeds accordingly, so there's really no twists or turns to speak of. And if you were hoping for payoffs to the questions of "Who?" "What?" and "Why?" you'll most likely be disappointed.

The characters are given minimal development and story arcs.

This film would have been much better served if they tried to make as mashup of Lord of the Flies and Battle Royale or even Saw and Battle Royale, as it would provide the film with much needed depth and themes and a certain level of intrigue and complexity. As it is, it's a mediocre slasher type flick.

Juke Skywalker and Master_Lok like this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Ant-Man (2015) So, I had no desire to see this, but needed to step away from the usual. And....l liked it, except for the Darren Cross/Yellow Jacket character. One of the least convincing villains in the MCU and quite boring. Thought he was the only thing that stopped this movie from being a unique and amusing entry in the MCU.

I liked Paul Rudd and the family dynamic with his family and the Pyms. The ants were fun. Though I did not laugh until the end fight (the Siri trigger and the Thomas the Train embiggen). The FX were fantastic, the perspective when Scott was small are superb and I liked the Quantum Realm. Had a flashback to the brilliant ending of Prince of Darkness with Janet’s shadow flickering.

And Falcon. So awesome to see Falcon. Ms.Lily still gets on my nerves, but she was okay as Hope.

A nice surprise. It will be interesting to see Scott and Clint interact, both being fathers and men who are not quite moral. So, yes, proven wrong again by an MCU movie. That is fine by me.;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just still think Darren Cross is one of the best villains of the MCU. I really don't get the hate for him. He's driven by self-loathing and hate and he's genuinely tormented. The scene where he's come to kill Douglas, but decides not to do it . . . I think Stoll is brilliant in that scene. He plays right into the "fatherhood" theme of the film; he's Pym's first surrogate son, his first pass at what he's trying to do with Scott in the movie. And the moment that you realize that the suit has made this already very sick man completely insane . . . him twitching back to life in the bug zapper is legit one of the best moments in any Marvel movie. So unsettling.

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Ant-Man and the Wasp for a 2nd viewing. Love it. Still don’t think it’s as good as the first, but it’s close. 9/10.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I thought he was a terrible actor. Very unconvincing and took me right out of the movie. So I was glad his time was quite limited on screen.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I just watched the movie this morning on HBO on-demand. I definitely picked up The Breakfast Club vibes almost immediately. The cast was pretty good; though the one IMO that seemed out of place was the young kid whose mom forced him to go there for a prom date. Even by the end of the movie I don't recall knowing how he was even related to the bride or groom. And that role of the young inexperienced kid approaching girls at a dance with sexual innuendos has been done too many times to count in movies. I don't even see the humor in it because it just doesn't seem real to me. But overall I did enjoy the movie. I certainly loved seeing Anna's range of emotions.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It wasn’t a terrible performance per say, but he was basically playing a generic evil CEO, so it was definitely kind of forgettable.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Cross was basically Stane but with motivation for becoming a villain. The actor was fine, he's just no Jeff Bridges.

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I found him to be Stane lite. I was not expecting Bridges (he was so subtle). This guy's performance took me clean out of the movie so I was glad he was basically a minor plot point; but enough of an irritant to make an impact.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He was definitely Stane-lite. There's a give and take- Cross is a copy cat character, has better motivation, but less personal connection to the hero and a decent actor. Stane is a character later copied, has less motivation, more personal connection to the hero and a great actor.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    PCCViking and Juliet316 like this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Ant-Man and the Wasp

I enjoyed it.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Sicario: Day of the Soldado. Sicario was a Denis Villeneuve masterpiece, a weird and unsettling film about a protagonist marginalized by her allies in a creepy netherworld of black ops. It encouraged the viewer to question everything about it. It was so wildly uncommercial that I’m kinda shocked it actually got a sequel. The sequel, however, is a totally conventional Hollywood film.

It focuses on the off-kilter ally-antagonists of the first film, and thereby loses much of what made Sicario unique. It also ends up sanding off most of the rough edges of the characters, making them far less interesting. And while the direction is competent, it’s not Villeneuve, and the execution can’t make up for the straightforward, conventional storyline and characterization. It doesn’t even excel in the area you’d think a more commercial film might exceed its predecessor: while Sicario managed to fit several outstanding action sequences into its atmosphere of nerve-jangling tension, the action in Soldado is fairly limited and generally feels perfunctory. There’s one standout action sequence in a convoy ambush that goes beyond a mere burst of conventional violence, but it probably wouldn’t even make the top three action sequences in Sicario.

It’s not a bad movie, just terribly disappointing in its blandness. Even the one moment I thought it was introducing a notable third-act twist, it went back on in a boringly conventional way. If you just want two hours’ entertainment, it might work, but if you’re a real fan of the original, better to let it stand alone.

15. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    A Nightmare On Elm Street

I don't watch a lot of horror films, but this is one that I love to watch. It never gets old. It's always scary as hell, the music is great, the cheesy parts are always cheesy, the sound fx are good, and the cast is decent overall, especially Heather Langenkamp. The entire concept of the story is very thoughtful and horrifying; not being able to fall asleep for fear of being killed in your dreams by a psychotic maniac. Speaking of which, Freddy Krueger is one of the icons of not just horror, but cinema history.

The original NOES is definitely one of the best horror films to come out of its era.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    American Made (2017)
    Really great movie. I actually like the pictures based on true events; but I passed this one up because I haven't really been too much of a fan of Cruise's movies for the past decade or so. I just thought he was being typecast since the first Mission Impossible flick. But this was very well done and interesting. He wasn't an action hero nor ladies man by any stretch; just a family man who just happened to be a pilot.

17. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Exact same thoughts from my viewing :)

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Tomb Raider. So I guess this qualifies as the best video game movie? It features an overqualified and underutilized cast (they’ve got Derek Jacobi in a nothing glorified-extra role for no apparent reason) in a competently-executed but generally unremarkable B-movie, which puts it a step ahead of the intriguing-but-messy Assassin’s Creed. It does a pretty good job of putting the game on the screen without feeling like a filmed playthrough. It translates the appeal of the games, which I quite like, into an adventure film that works. The cast is uniformly great (Walton Goggins always delivers, and Alicia Vikander can carry anything), and the film is pretty well-paced. What it doesn’t do is transcend its status as a springtime action-adventure B-movie. It’s functional more than fascinating, never really going beyond the obvious. It’s much too blandly secondhand and workmanlike to deliver any Indiana Jones-scale treasure-hunting thrills.

19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    ‘The Last Jedi’

I revisited it. I didn’t care for it when I first saw it. My problems with it though really aren’t what a lot of people generally seemed to dislike it for.

For starters I think the best part of the movie is the relationship between Luke Skywalker and Rey and the disillusionment behind the Jedi. This is where the film clicks in its writing, directing, and acting.

My biggest problem with the film and one that I really don’t see discussed at all is that it(in my humble opinion of course) is an even more egregious revamp of ESB than TFA was accused of doing to ANH. Study both of them. I have to mention again that having no inkling of where Snoke is probably the worst thing you could have done if you wanted things to be fresh. He’s nothing more than a boring Palpatine clone who magically restored the empire.

I say it’s a lackluster Star Wars film and I believe it is but as I said in my first review even the most lackluster Star Wars film is going to have high quality aspects. Lord knows there has been plenty to discuss about it. It’s a shame that it created such toxicity and negativity in the world. I’d hate for all Star Wars to be nothing more than an argument over this one.

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Short Night of Glass Dolls (1971) - 1971 was an absolutely great year for giallos, Cat o' Nine Tails, A Lizard in a Woman's Skin and this movie was released. The only giallo set in a Soviet block country adds so much to the truth of Klub 99, and the horrors they perpetuate on the young or anyone who cross them. It's a brilliant allegory to being trapped under the thumb of a totalitarian society, even if the final reveal of Klub 99 is a bit O.T.T., everything else more than makes up for it.

American reporter Gregory Moore (Jean Sorel) is believed dead ( he's found unsponsive in a park, his body catatonic and paralyzed). He is trying to show some signs of life before the local coroner conduct an autopsy on him. In and around that utterly bonkers plot point we see how Moore winds up on the slab. Moore discovers his lovely Slavic girlfriend Mira (Barbara Bach) has vanished into thin air. His love for her leads him deep into Communist Budapest and more importantly, to Klub 99.

As I watched the Communist block conspiracy/Secret Police elements unfurl today, I was struck by how brilliant the cinematography is in this movie. You'd never think crystal chandeliers were objects of evil, but the way Moore fixates on the chandelier in his apartment and elsewhere adds a creepy layer to the whole story.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Jurassic Park

Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Geostorm .

utter **** . Don't bother . imagine bits from various disaster films over the last 20 years stitched together , every cliche they can cram in (there's even a dog that runs from peril and survives ) , tedious . Why do they make these films ?

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I saw that was on Sky Movies. Haven't bothered yet - might not unless I'm bored.

24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Shape of Water. Someday, historians will look back at a year of film that included Phantom Thread, Lady Bird, Dunkirk, and Three Billboards, just for a start, and they will ask in bafflement, “How did the terrible fish****ing movie win?”

It would be one thing if it was just a genre oddity; the real problem is that it’s a genre oddity that isn’t any good. I’m about the easiest audience imaginable for retro midcentury fetishism and Michael Shannon being bat****, and even I couldn’t swallow it. The plot is inane and everything about it, the borrowed imagery of film, the Cold War outsiders vs. Shannon’s rotten fifties ideal, it’s all trite and hamfisted, in service to a ridiculous central metaphor in which a woman falls in love with a lab critter just . . . because. It never felt like the movie really earned anything that happened, and it certainly didn’t do anything to invest me in our generic protagonist’s undermotivated journey into bestiality. It reminded me a lot of Birdman as another film incredibly satisfied with itself for presenting tired, Hollywood-beloved cliches wrapped in a silly gimmick.

Richard Jenkins was very good, and of course Del Toro’s visuals are engrossing, but that’s all it had going for it.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well just for the heck of it I took out the made-for-TV version of It from my local library. For many reasons that movie was very difficult to watch. Whether or not Curry was more faithful to King's version of Pennywise didn't really play a factor to me because I haven't read the book. He wasn't scary at all; more of like a deranged clown with bad teeth. And I don't know how Pennywise was supposed to sound, but something just seemed weird to me when the actor who was most famous for playing Frank-N-Furter in Rocky Horror called another actor a "girly man". And I really didn't like the flash-backs and flash-forwards that seemed to come at every 10 minute interval. I know it was initially made for tv; but if you watch it all in one sitting on DVD it's over a three hour movie. Three hours for a horror movie? That's absurd. And a lot of it was just filler material because it jumps right into the "loser" group as adults and only tries to give each character a short background through he flashbacks. The new movie revolves completely around the characters as children; as it should be. You establish each character with a strong background, and then can follow them as the sequel jumps ahead a few decades later.