main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #50-55: Hope Dies (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Apr 18, 2018.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, this is indeed taught at The School for Villainy (Headmaster: D. Dastardly)

In that respect, the Honorverse is pretty damn awesome.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Also let's remember that in ROTJ Palpatine's true enemy was named Will. He used the whole Endor thing to lure the Rebels into a trap to kill Will.

Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational battle station. Fire at Will, commander.

MrDarth0, Ithorians, AV-6R7 and 7 others like this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It may not be common sense to act like Vader did, but narratively it makes total sense considering the philosophy the villains adhere to. In a situation in which Vader feels he can create the maximum terror by waiting, he will do what the force tells him to do. He trusts in the dark side.

DarthJaceus, BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm calling it right now- those "transponder codes" that Han just procured will be used to help the fleet escape. ;)

--Adm. Nick

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    If you're going to shoot "fish" in a barrel (pardon my pun), there's really no rush, so you might as well pick them off one at a time and enjoy yourself. Vader sensing their fear is definitely a sadistic villain thing to do and I buy it.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    He also prosecuted Bill Posters too.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This was one of the coolest Star Wars comics in awhile. Cuz it was basically Vader rollin up to the Rebels hood and making a statement.

And the backup showing how cold Trios is was nifty as well. I know Vader lopped off her hand, when did she get a replacement that's unable to tell the difference from her regular one?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

Vader/Anakin has always had a bit of an inferiority complex.

Which means he has a need to make people fear him and realize how wrong they were to start on their course of action in the first place.

Makes sense in terms of character to me. With all the weirdness we're seeing in the world these days, why do we still think this kind of behavior is only the purview of Bond villains?

9. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I liked how this was the debut of the Executor in the main series. It was nice being able to look at Larocca's art again, but the fact that they accident played Kafrene in the Outer Rim is bothering me more than it should.

10. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I hope Draven bites it, he should have been drummed out with that whole Gallen Erso assassination mission, the fact he's still around bothers me. Bonus points if it's a snivelling, cowardly exit at Vader's saber.

12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Bring back Cracken! :p

13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    @AdmiralNick22 - I just noticed something while flipping through my copy of The Rebel Files that may pertain to your "sad theory":
    A communication from Wedge Antilles to General Dodonna, dated by context to immediately before the Battle of Endor. So either Wedge likes to send email to ghosts, Vrad Dodonna is back in continuity and makes a very rapid rise through the ranks, or Jan Dodonna doesn't die at Mako-Ta.

14. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Rebel Files also had Lothal in Imperial hands during Operation Ringbreaker (and had a picture from a battle on Sollust), so keeping a degree of flexibility when considering sourcebooks and the like is always a good idea.

15. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Very true, of course. I've managed to locate the "Sollust" picture (LOL) but not the reference to Lothal in the Operation Ringbreaker section?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  16. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Pg. 145, right beneath the legend for the map. Low output, low security, but still Imperial-held.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I disagree. I quite like the character of Draven - wounded, ground down, cynical and willing to do just about anything to take the Empire out.

And if he was cornered by Vader? I can see him instead being: Get over here, ****er!

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Interesting that you see Draven as hiding an inner badass. Personally, I think just cuz he's ordering assassinations round people's backs to folks who clearly don't want to do it, I get more of strip him down to his essentials at the moment of truth and he'd be a coward. Wish we had gotten more Draven in Rebels at least to get to know the fella's mindset. Just going from Rogue One, I think he's honestly like the 3rd or 4th villain in the movie to me.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I can't recall where it was, possibly Catalyst or the Rogue One novel, but there's this great portrait of Draven as this once soldier of the Republic, who watched it turn in the Empire, betray all he swore allegiance to, killed his comrades in arms for its own twisted ideals and this all went on over 20 years. By the time we get to meet Draven, he's pretty much a ground down wreck, who sees a mission to save a man who, from all he can see, is the lynchpin of the Empire's planet-killer.

If Galen hadn't helped them, someone else would? Fine, they get shot too.

Draven's error is in assuming Galen and his colleagues are doing so willingly, but if he knew? He'd probably still go with it as an "innocents die in war".

Draven isn't the kind of character we often see in stories like SW, but he feels a very real character to me.

20. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    Best issue yet! 10/10

21. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Huh, didn't even see that there. Good catch. Madine needs to update his intelligence sources, I guess!

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh, yes. It's not that I think Draven isn't a good character, it's just that I don't like him as a person. ;)

DarthJaceus and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I consider him my most favourite unlikeable character. He has flaws but he showed that the Alliance prior to Scarif weren't as white as they appeared in the films. Scarif and Yavin no doubt changed everything for the Alliance and no doubt they turned away from certain black ops like the ones Draven led in Cracken's absence.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    So this just hit me, Dodonna is never shown to be alive by ESB..........any one else prepared for lots and lots and lots of tears come next issue? We know he was the one who called for the mission that found the Rebel's Hoth, but that has likely already been ordered since we know Mako-Ta is meant to be temporary

Agreed. I mean there's a reason I wrote an article for ElevenThirty Eight for the sole purpose of justifying my love for him. I want a Draven figure already, get on it Hasbro.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    A bit late but in regards to Vader holding fire I thought it was a bit more that because of his connection to the darkside Vader was...well, feeding on or getting off on the fear. If there's one thing we've seen from darksiders is they enjoy the feelings of anger and fear they induce in others, and I like this idea because it fits with what we saw in the recent Vader issue.

I've always been fond of the idea that an idle Vader is a deeply unhappy Vader, and that once he'd hunted the last of the Jedi things must have been more than a bit boring from him, a man who'd fought all his life, thrown to the darkside where anger and fear are pathways to power, it'd make sense that it's not just for the benefit of terror to the enemy, but also something for Vader himself to enjoy, as much he enjoys anything as well as a feeling of connection to the darkside.

IDK, maybe that's silly, but the Dirk Dastardly school of villainy makes sense for the darksiders by understanding that these things bring them closer to the darkside rush most all of them seem to crave.

MrDarth0, BigAl6ft6, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.