main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm thinking a Clone Wars adaption could be likely. Filoni wants to finish the show, comic form is the best way to do so, and Marvel has a few series concluding. I feel like the tenth anniversary is the perfect time for such an announcement.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Can someone help explain the placement of the post-Yavin arcs? Getting confused by Han Solo, the main arc, Vader Down, Dr Aphra, Vader...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I can try!

The placement of Han Solo compared to the mainline series is still uncertain. There's some evidence that it might take place before before the series, concurrent to Heir to the Jedi, and some evidence of it taking place later. The placement of the Chewbacca and Lando series (serieses?) is also unclear.

Vader Down technically acts as the third arc of both the mainline series and the Vader series, occurring immediately after "Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon" in the main series, and "Shadows and Secrets" in the Vader series.

The Aphra series picks up shortly after the end of the Vader series, with the "Screaming Citadel" story acting as both the second arc of Aphra and the seventh arc of the mainline series, taking place after "Yoda's Secret War" and "Aphra" respectively.

Were you to try to read them in chronological order, it would look something like this:

Princess Leia
    SW 1: Skywalker Strikes
    Vader 1: Vader (happens concurrently with the second half of Skywalker Strikes)
    SW2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon
    Vader 2: Shadows and Secrets
    Vader Down
    Vader 3: The Shu-Torun War
    SW 3: Rebel Jail (happens concurrently with Vader 3)
    Vader 4: End of Games
    SW 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger
    SW 5: Yoda's Secret War
    Aphra 1: Aphra
    The Screaming Citadel
    SW 6: Out Among the Stars
    Aphra 2: Dr. Aphra and the Enormous Profit
    SW 7: The Ashes of Jedha
    SW 8: Mutiny on Mon Cala
    Aphra 3: Remastered (happens sort-of concurrently with SW 8)
    and so on...

Vader 4: End of Games also marks the end of the first year after Yavin.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  4. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I remember that Jordan D. White said something about the timeline placement of some of these mini series. He explained that all of them where the placement is unclear are happening in the "now" of the mainline series. He further elaborated that this would put the Chewbacca comic between "Showdown on the Smugglers Moon" and "Vader Down", while the Han Solo comic would be between "Rebel Jail" and "The Last Flight of the Harbinger".

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    There have been a handful of artists who worked on the DH run who came back. The guy doing Thrawn for example did one or two Republic issues. And actually keeping the Thrawn connection, the guy who did the Princess Leia comic at the start of the Marvel run also did the Dark Force Rising adaptation. But I get your meaning about the DH regulars. That being said, I think there must be such a huge group of people at Marvel who would jump at the chance to do Star Wars, they probably won't go out of their wheelhouse. The few notable exceptions seem to be the movie adaptation comics, and even then the TFA and TLJ ones were still done by Lucasfilm-connected writers.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    That's why I said the regulars, because Luke Ross for example (which I think is one of the best artists currently doing Star Wars comics) did only a few covers and one issue for Dark Horse.

I'm all for getting new people to work on Star Wars comic. But let's not forget of the veteran creators either. Mix things up - have a writer that hasn't written a Star Wars comic colaborate with a prominent artist from the Dark Horse days, and vice versa for example.

tatooinesandworm and kalzeth like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Gasp!

;)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I was waiting for the era to become less busy! Now the plots have separated a bit it seems to be easier to work out.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I didn't know about that, thanks for the info. That placement makes sense for Han Solo, as there seems to be a pretty big time gap between "Rebel Jail" and "Harbinger." That placement for Chewbacca is weird, though. It's not impossible, I guess, but I seem to remember "Smuggler's Moon" flowing more or less directly into "Vader Down." It would be more logical for it to also go into the gap between "Rebel Jail" and "Harbinger" - or maybe concurrent with "Rebel Jail," since Chewie is off doing something else during that arc.

10. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I think you're mistaking it with "Shadows and Secrets" from the Vader series. That one did flow directly into "Vader Down", and it took place after "Showdown on the Smugglers Moon". So there's enough room for Chewbacca to take place between Smugglers Moon and Vader Down.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

The Positive Fan likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Heheheh, yeah that was going to be my response too!

12. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Also Mike Mayhew did The Star Wars for Dark Horse and has done a few issues for Marvel.

13. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    This sort of mess around with the comic timeline should not be happening marvel and lucasfilm must know where each story is as not to contradict another story so why the big secret ?! I know you can say they don't want to be tied down but if that's the case why do the story in the first place?! sorry rant over ;)

kalzeth likes this.
  14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    It doesn't matter if someone from Dark Horse writes for Marvel, the importance here is the story. Is the story of importance? Is it good? Does it contribute to something? That's what the issue here is. What kind of stories are they going to tell from here on out? We got TLJ, Thrawn, Poe Dameron, and the Lando series ending soon, but what will replace it? The Clone Wars would be great if they started to adapt the stories that they hadn't done anything to it, but the main stuff needs to be told in some sort of animation. The closing of the war and bridging the gap into ROTS needs to be told in animation to complete the series. Maybe two more clone war movies to add to the first one. In GL's original 12 movies, three of them were set in the clone wars. We already have the first one, now we can do the last two and put them on the streaming service. Do it now that all the voice characters are alive, don't come back later when they have a greater chance of dying.

iPodwithnomusic and lordpixie like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, how much Marvel have you read? Flexible continuity is very much their thing.

16. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    Just all the Star wars stuff and started the spiderman epic's a few month's back. So not loads my lack of experience in marvel shows but they must have a comic timeline so it can all fit together it is meant to be one seamless universe after all ? or that is what i thought the story group was going for with the new canon. :)

17. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    Also can i just say i know its not star wars related but steve ditko what a great man and loss!

BigAl6ft6, JediFett10 and Kylun like this.
  18. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm not sure that uncertainty about the exact placement of the various limited series (serieses?) really rises to the level of "mess." For the most part, the post-Yavin, pre-Hoth timeline is pretty clear and actually pretty coherent, if approximate.
    I never but that together before, but you're right. The entirety of Smuggler's Moon takes place over the course of a couple days - it could have taken place in its entirety before Vader even arrived on Tatooine.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, "Marvel Time" is kind of infamous - it's how time passes but not for the characters.

Which seems to be the case with Marvels ANH-ESB era stories. ;)

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004

I’m going to get all the TPBs this month and figure it out next month it looks!

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Go for the Oversized Hardcovers Sinny, far nicer books - you'll thank me for this one.

AND, in some cases, they might be cheaper than buying the paperbacks. I got the second Star Wars OHC for £12 and it had the Vol 3 and Vol 4 trades!

Average online price are:
    TPB: £10
    OHC: £18-20 - but often collects 2 TPBs

Use this and go for second-hand copies to get a bargain:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0?fst=as:eek:ff&rh=n:266239,n:274081,n:274115,k:star+wars,p_n_binding_browse-bin:492563011&sort=date-desc-rank&keywords=star+wars&ie=UTF8&qid=1531252104&rnid=1025612

Readmore Books and Holborn Gifts I've bought from, their stuff is good.

And don't buy the Vader Omnibus, unless you really want one big volume, getting the 2 OHCs will be cheaper.

Your OHC hitlist:
    • Kanan
    • Heroes for a New Hope
    • Star Wars 1
    • Star Wars 2
    • Darth Vader 1
    • Darth Vader 2
    • Han Solo
    • Shattered Empire
    Upcoming OHCs:

July:
    • Rogue One
    • Phasma
    • Star Wars 3
    September:
    • Aphra
    October:
    • Darth Vader: Lord of the Sith

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  22. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    Oh thanks Jedi Ben not heard about Marvel Time before ! i learn something new every day! also i would second OHC they really are nice and have some extras ie covers and odds and ends i don't think the trades have! also Shattered empire OHC has the 3PO one shot which i think has not been in trade yet.

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Hmmmmm. I shall see what I have and do not have. I have the Kanan OHC and it is divine.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And the rest are like that!

It does mean waiting a bit longer, compared to the paperbacks, but it also spreads the cost out over a long span which makes it easier to fund.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    lordpixie likes this.