main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That's just what I mean. Sensationalist news.
    Over 200 people were killed in Iraq last month. Nearly 5000 civilians lost their lives in Syria this year. Over 5000 wounded in Gaza, this year.
    But glad those boys in Thailand are safe @};-

Pensivia likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, news has always focused more on unique personal "human interest" stories rather than widespread misery.

News at 11. :p

3. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm trying to get @Pensivia to admit to not having to feel guilty.

Pensivia likes this.
  4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Heh, well, that will be tough for me.:p Intellectually, I agree 100% with your point about how the news operates (and why that's extremely problematic), but it's sort of in my temperament to feel guilty (and to worry about being--or even just seeming--"uncaring," etc.) at the same time.

But really I should (and do) feel a lot guiltier for at times being shamefully ignorant about those kinds of larger miseries you mentioned*. So, yeah, I'm embracing my guilt on all fronts today.:p

*which of course the sensationalism of most news outlets contributes massively to

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And sometimes, with the world like it is today, you take what good news you can get.

Pensivia likes this.
  6. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You can feel guilty about the things you have an impact on. Family, friends. Maybe the charity you support. Otherwise? It's guilt they're trying to sell you, and someone else is trying to make a profit off it.

Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  7. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Your point is very well taken. And I do feel less guilty contemplating it. :p

SuperWatto likes this.
  8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    My cat is so dumb .

so he likes to climb in the window , the upper window , which means he has to climb up and get thru the blinds etc.
    But when it's hot the lower window is open , and he sits there on the window ledge looking at this , and all he has to do is walk in , it's like a little door , and he can't , he just can't fathom it . Worse - the lower window being open actually impedes him from the top window . So he just sits there .

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not dumb, over thinking it.

“Oh, try and trick me, eh?”

Ava G. and gezvader28 like this.
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    If you die, and no one finds your body, your cat will eat you.

Who’s dumb now?

Ava G., gezvader28 and Diggy like this.
  11. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    Anyone else's cats love the smell of nail polish? Maybe that's why some cats are loopy. They snort too much nail polish.

12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Speaking of smell, the dog and I ran into our local skunk last night. Dublin was desperate to go up and introduce himself, but I managed to drag him back the way we came before the skunk could fully commit to deciding to spray both of us. It was a very close call. The feeling I got from the skunk is that the whole spraying thing is a lot of trouble, and he was really willing to work with us to make sure it didn't have to go down that way. Dublin on the other hand was not a reliable partner in the negotiations.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  13. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Hahaha! Skunk and dog peace talks.

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I had a cat* that liked the smell of cigarettes , if anyone was smoking she'd always sit with them , which was unusual as every other cat I've known always hated cigarettes .

*her name was Daisy btw .

Ava G. likes this.
  15. siha

siha Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2013
    I had a dog that didn’t trust treats. Dog bones, those fake bacon treats, leftover bits of steak, you name it. She would sniff them for a while, then maybe if she liked what she smelled, she’s try a lick and then eventually if the taste appealed to her, she’d eat it. Sometimes she got distracted and left before eating the snack. It was so hard to give her medicine.

tom, Healer_Leona and Rylo Ken like this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    My dog swallows first, finds out if edible later. Dirty diaper wrapped in a plastic bag lying in the gutter? All I know is if I dont eat it now it won't be any better when I come back tomorrow. It's as tasty as it will ever be.

siha and tom like this.
  17. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Sensitive stomach, maybe?

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Our dog has a blessedly simple diet. Instead, he bolts for the cemetery across from the house every time he is in the mood to vandalize graves. I don't have to worry about getting a stomach pumped. No, our problem is apologizing that our dog attempted to dig up someone's gram.

19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I have three kids who are impossible to cook dinner for. Would you like to swap?

21. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    No thanks, I got some of those as well, off-camera.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have one who... when all higher quality foods are suddenly not satisfactory... thinks peanut butter & jelly is the food of the gods. It's like a Get Out of Parenting Hell Free card we get to play.

poor yorick, tom and SuperWatto like this.
  23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Two days ago I was asked: "Can I eat at Nora's? I'll be good and eat whatever they make. When I eat at a friends' house, I suddenly eat all things I normally refuse!".

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a vegetarian child who is fairly easy to feed as long as no meat is involved.

My other child likes cheese pizza, sandwiches, soup, chili, burgers, tacos, sushi and tortellini. He covers the range of food groups as well as several cultures so I don’t worry about it. Once in awhile I have to say, “I’m cutting up this apple and sprinkling cinnamon on it and you’re going to eat it.”

As far as cats...one of them likes the smell of chlorine. He sits on me and smells me after I swim. The other one has to take medicine twice a day, he knows it, and he doesn’t want to. I put the pills in a pill pocket and he eats the pill pocket and leaves the pill. I started crushing it and putting it in wet food. That worked after I bought tuna and gravy wet food.

Jedi Knight Fett and SuperWatto like this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Emma chose a vegan diet but that is not even remotely involved in her abrupt random pickiness. Her tapeworm has multiple personality disorder.

Diggy likes this.