main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, and even in Rogue One, Bail says "He served me well during the Clone Wars."

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I always thought that since the Jedi served the Republic, they indirectly served every member of the Senate. I suppose that does feel a little flimsy now that I think about it. For a specific example we could look at the Cat and Mouse episode of The Clone Wars. In that episode Bail Organa and his relief effort were trapped on Christophsis and Obi-Wan and Anakin go on a mission to break through the Separatist blockage and deliver supplies to him. At one point Bail Organa literally says "Help us, General Kenobi, you're our only hope", so I think it was intended to give context to Leia's quote.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Iron_lord, StartCenterEnd and Daneira like this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    How could we forget that old tie-in novel Wild Space and it's, er, plot.

[​IMG]

MrDarth0, Jedi Ben, Iron_lord and 5 others like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we have an explanation on how the Republic's senator system worked?

5. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    In Knight Errant(I only read the novel), the region of space we visit is dominated by multiple independent Sith satrapies. And that was just a small corner of the galaxy(Grumani Sector, I think?). Who knows how many other Sith groups or organizations and even governments were active in the galaxy during this period? Fast forward to Jedi vs Sith comics and the Bane novels, a mere twenty or thirty years later, and all Sith are now united under Kaan's leadership in the Brotherhood Of Darkness. They're even all on the same planet, so that when the thought bomb goes off, all except Darth Bane die.

Do we know how Kaan managed to unite so many different Sith groups in such a short time? Was it at least mentioned anywhere in passing? Even an off-hand comment?

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

The Essential Guide To Warfare
    covered it, but it was still pretty vague.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  7. Nom von Anor

Oct 7, 2012
    Oh, okay, thanks. Do you remember what Warfare said? I don't have the book with me...

I wish it was explored more. There's an interesting story potential there.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

The Jedi Council's great hope for the future was a slim, sophisticated commoner from the capital named Skere Kaan, an expert in battle meditation, fleet command, and economic policy. Kaan had developed a radical theory about the anarchy that had shaken civilization for a thousand years: He blamed the Republic and the Jedi Order.

The Council, believing that they could moderate these daring arguments into a practical reform policy, rewarded Kaan with a Jedi Master's rank. But in 1010 BBY Kaan grew impatient with their interference and left the Order, leading a group of like-minded Jedi Knights in a dramatic schism. Calling themselves the Brotherhood, they announced their intention to conquer the fragmented Sith enclaves as a prelude to reforming the Republic - and within months Kaan had slain the worst of the Sith warlords and forced the rest to beg for peace. The Jedi Order sent its enthusiastic congratulations, but Kaan was busy remaking his conquests into a weapon to use against them. Within a year he had assumed the throne of a new Sith Empire and declared war on the Republic.

9. Nom von Anor

Oct 7, 2012
    Great, thanks again! Certainly better than nothing.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    So, it's safe to say the Jedi and the Republic had to deal with the wrath of Kaan. :p

MrDarth0, Vthuil, DarthJaceus and 3 others like this.
  11. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    @Iron_lord I've been lurking here for a long time and I'm always amazed by your ability to draw up quotes on command!

Anybody know what the deal is the Official Fact Files? Collectibility? Canon status? Or is it in a state of non-canon limbo like FFG?

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got all the Original Fact Files. I would imagine anything directly related to the films is still canon. Anything related to the books/comics would fall under Legends.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  13. DarthJaceus

Dec 6, 2016
    Honestly, just sounds like it's kinda doing it's own thing, which is fine by me. Where can you find them at?

14. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    Any chance that Disney will allow more novels to be written that take place in the Legends canon? I think that'd be neat.

15. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    about zero
    ask again in a decade or two

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We have a thread about them down in the depths of this forum with descriptions on what each issue contains. However, they are no longer being made so eBay is going to be your best bet. They never had official US distribution - I think it was Ireland, the UK, Australia, and NZ. You could try eBay UK if there isn't anything on eBay US..

Edit - thanks to Google I found the thread.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    DarthJaceus likes this.
  17. DarthJaceus

Dec 6, 2016
    Thank you very much, mister Fett!

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  18. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    After Leia dies, does that make Kylo Ren the rightful heir to the royal throne of Alderaan?

19. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    unless he has gone through the day of demand prior to becoming evil, he would not be eligible to claim the throne

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Daneira likes this.
  20. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    This is a random one but does anyone know what the name of the Wookiee senator seen in TPM is? I remember them being in the Visual Dictionary but I don't think I own that anymore.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  21. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I believe that was Yarua.

Grievousdude likes this.
  22. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I've begun a re-read of the New Jedi Order, excited to hit on a few books I didn't read the first time around. Are there any good resources on the behind the scenes making of the series outside of the round robin interview? This thing must have been a hell of a lot of work to plan and shape.

23. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Is Leia even Princess of Alderaan anymore?

In the (horrible IMO) Princess Leia Marvel mini-series, Leia tells the surviving Alderaanians to elect a new Princess to lead them, because she has to go back to fight for the Rebellion. So Leia technically gave up her royal title and the New Alderaan is now an elective monarchy, similar to Naboo, instead of a hereditary one.

When somebody calls Leia a Princess now, its only out of respect, she's no longer the monarch of the Alderaanian people. Unless she was re-elected again after the war.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My impression was that she gave the role to lead the Alderaanians to another one, so not to split her responsibility between the Rebellion and the Alderaanians. Not that she gave up her princess title.

But if I remember right so are there some procedures (in RL Europe at least) that you have to do to be declared ruling monarch that's a bit hard to do if you have been thrown out of your realm (like the Romanoff and Russia) or if your realm have stooped existing - @GrandAdmiralJello probably know more about this - and it could be something similar with Leia that she can never be declared queen since there is no Aldeeran.

25. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    The dialogue from the comic:
    Leia: Evaan, smile. We did it. Our people are together and headed for a new world.
    Evaan: And who's supposed to lead us there?
    Leia: You'd be good.
    Evaan: They need their Princess.
    Leia: So elect one. I endorse you, but make it a fair contest.

Sounds to me like Leia is giving up her leadership position of Alderaan right there. I guess she can still use the title, but she is no longer the leader of the Alderaanian people and has no claim on the throne. Therefore Kylo has no claim either and cannot be called a Prince, as New Alderaan now elects its monarchs.

In case of the Romanov family, its not exactly the best comparison, as they were never thrown out of their realm (even though that's exactly what they desperately wanted to save their lives), instead their realm ceased to exist as Russia became a republic after the February revolution.

What Leia did is basically to resign on her claim to the throne, which happens quite often in real world history. She can still use her aristocratic title, but it has only symbolic meaning now, she doesn't have any legal authority over her former subjects anymore. There is New Alderaan now and Leia does represent it in the New Republic Senate after the GCW, but she no longer has hereditary claim to its throne as she gave up on it. She could still be elected the Queen of New Alderaan if she wanted to though.

At least that's how I see it.

StartCenterEnd and Gamiel like this.