main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Even if he had stolen the car maybe the cops shouldn't have beaten the **** out of him. But a car is more important than a black man, I guess.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Abadacus, Pensivia, Nobody145 and 7 others like this.
  2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm surprised he wasn't shot dead as stuff is more important than lives

Especially black lives

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Another racist calls the cops on black people in pool...

http://abc13.com/society/property-manager-calls-cops-on-man-for-wearing-socks-in-pool--/3718670/

No, not the one about the guy who demanded to see proof of residency when a black woman came to the pool, this is another one.

She has lost her job as property manager and I am not sorry one bit when some ignorant racist loses a job over crap like this. IF they want to go public with their racism, and yes in this age of smart phones it is public, you might lose your job for it... hopefully.

Also fellow white people, JFC stop using 911 for stupid **** like this!

Pensivia, Rew, starfish and 6 others like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Barbecue Becky, Pool Patrol Paula, Permit Patty, ID Adam and this one—Dress Code Dora?—all apply for the same job. The interviewer is black. He asks, “What is your greatest failure in life?

...Take your time. I’ve got all day.”

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And just when you think they can't possibly fall any further, they answer: "Getting caught."

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Man berates woman for wearing an Puerto Rico flag shirt

1. I’m glad the officer who did nothing despite the woman asking for help is getting disciplined. I think it needs to severe.
    2. You won’t help the woman asking for help, but threaten the guy who does try to help?
    3. Puerto Ricans are US citizens!

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    When I worked handling calls for unemployment, I would get calls where people would go on rants about how 'other' people would get special treatment or funds they didn't get. One day, it was the "illegals from Puerto Rico and Mexico". Normally I tried not to engage, but I was exasperated by the sheer level of ignorance on display and said, "Sir, Puerto Rico is a US territory. They are citizens. It's part of the United States. "
    There was a pause, and then the person asked "Is Mexico?"
    " No, that is its own country."

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    From 2015 but probably still interesting

9. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Well, technically, a third of Mexico is part of the United States :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe of interest:

Transcript here

11. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Ok this is hard for me to admit......

I always laughed at the idea of white privalge and mocked it.....

Well i have to now eat my own worlds.

I have resently gone on holidays to the Bahamas.

Being white I was waved through immigration with smiles and Helios.
    Nothing was checked except my passport.

My fiancee was meant to fly in from Ecuador and meet me.
    She never even got to immigration.
    In the que all the Ecuadorian Latinos where called out the que and sent back home. Documents where not even checked.

After investigation and complaints ( a white guy apparently can bypass the whole system and get awnsers from the very top). I found out apparently they had Intel on a Ecuadorian criminal on board. Instead of CHECKING information and document's and the idiot in charge just removed all 7 Ecuadorian in the que declaring them in collusion, I assume they thought it would be "easier" as Latinos have limited power or influence.......now it turns out my fiancee had white backers and could prove through white lawyers she was legitimate.......well as I said we get to see the top brass.

So after the humiliation of a loved one and $10,000 on a vacation down the drain.......... I accept white privalge.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Well, I'm sorry that happened to your fiancee, and that you had to find out the reality in this way. Kudos to you for keeping an open mind though.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You have found wisdom, eater of worlds.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I also resent going on holiday to the Bahamas.

15. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Ouch what's your story?

I am a scientist so if new evidence presents itself, well I am obligated to change my opinion. Us scientists don't have the luxury of closed minds, I wish we did it would make life easier.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm sorry you had to go through that experience to have your eyes opened to that.

17. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I think it's admirable that @crazyewok posted this story here, especially after (from what I could tell) his JCC posting got off to a bit of bumpy start in the US Politics thread a bit ago. After all, he had no idea how people might respond.

Even on an anonymous message board, people are all too often unwilling to back down from a previously taken position and admit they were mistaken about something. If more people were willing to reassess their own views in light of new evidence (on message boards and IRL), the world would probably be a better place. So again, I think it's great that crazyewok made a point to share his experience and his new POV here.

Of course, I think we also all wish that it didn't take something like this to change someone's mind about the existence of white privilege. POC have been presenting and pointing to plenty of solid evidence of their experiences for a long time. I'm not saying that to take a swipe at crazyewok or try to make him feel worse than he already does--just articulating a hope that others who might be skeptical of white privilege and who might read this page would be willing to seriously question their views on this, even when they haven't had their own first-hand experience.

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I'm sorry that you and your fiancee had to go through all that. I'm glad your eyes are open though.

[:D]

19. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Just to be clear I have not converted to the left :p

Nor do I go as far as "white guilt".

But it's obvious that I am treated differently being white. Which seems pretty stupid [face_dunno]

Dunno what the answer is? How do you change the mindset of those in authority [face_dunno]

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    @crazyewok I'd like you to consider another example of white privilege: the video I referenced above. The brown woman actually approached the police for help with a highly belligerent white man, and the officer backed away from the scene. According to reports, the officer thought the man was harmless. Compare that to the numerous instances where unarmed people of color -especially young black men- are shot because the officer viewed them as imminent threats.

EDIT: As far as an answer, I'd suggest using your position of privilege as a white male to call out your fellow white people when they're acting inappropriately. They won't listen to us (heck, until recently, you wouldn't listen to us), but they're more inclined to listen to a (straight) white man.

21. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    QUOTE="Jedi Merkurian, post: 55240553, member: 241307"]@crazyewok I'd like you to consider another example of white privilege: the video I referenced above. The brown woman actually approached the police for help with a highly belligerent white man, and the officer backed away from the scene. According to reports, the officer thought the man was harmless. Compare that to the numerous instances where unarmed people of color -especially young black men- are shot because the officer viewed them as imminent threats.

EDIT: As far as an answer, I'd suggest using your position of privilege as a white male to call out your fellow white people when they're acting inappropriately. They won't listen to us (heck, until recently, you wouldn't listen to us), but they're more inclined to listen to a (straight) white man.[/QUOTE]
    I have seen that. It is pretty sickening.

Being from the UK I am used to our police being a lot better behaved. The storys of US cops killing minority at a whim is pretty frignting. And if in this case it cad been the Puerto Rican acting aggressively I would guess she would of been arrested if not shot.

My fiancee says she would love to visit the US for a holiday, But sadly I have told her to avoid it for the time being. Even with me I don't know if it's safe.

As far as calling people out? Well I will but I don't really hang around in such circles.

Plus as my experience in the Bahamas, it's not just white men. It was a black female that lumped all Latinos on that flight together and wrote them off as all bad without checking.
    And the same black staff have treated me like royalty.
    It seems white privalge mentality is institutionalised.

Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It definitely is.

Besides all the racial-profiling stereotypes, one reason US police behave the way they do is the proliferation of guns, as exacerbated by DC v Heller in 2008. And the Second Amendment was only intended for white people, so...

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Just saw a very interesting play on racial relations and the stereotyping of black people in the lens of white people. It's named Fairview and I really wish I could discuss it here, but the play really shines if you don't know what you're getting into. It's running in Soho, NYC for another couple of weeks. Hopefully it goes national.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Bingo. It's not something that exists in white people but rather in society. It therefore is something POCs sibconscoously participate in as well.

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018