main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Whatever happened to... the revised Legends Clone Wars timeline!?!?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Jul 8, 2018.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You're never going to convince me that Ventress died like that in the
    EU. :p

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Welllll.

It’s what Filoni intended, I guess. We were a few months from it happening before the reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Yeah, Obsession slotted itself surprisingly well in the gap between seasons 3 and 4, as we just imagine Dooku captured her and tried to secretly take her back under his control after he was made to give her up (he had ambitions of his own as Oppress showed), but the plan failed and she recovered her will, faked her death, and left the war on her own. Ironically, that fits perfectly with what was seen onscreen for her too (She never went back to the Sith after Season 3, and didn't see Dooku til the novel/the final season).

Obviously, it took a few leaps of logic, as we had to assume Adi Gallia somehow didn't die when stabbed with lightsabers, but ya'know. EU retcons (including official ones) were fun like that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    She didn't die because she was the hat. The body was a host to the hat.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

5. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Nathan Butler's got this

6. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    It wasn't released because they dispensed with the idea of adding TCW to continuity, and gave it it's own special timeline: "T-Canon," which for all intents and purposes literally means "TCW canon" as no other TV show was included. I agree with others here that the early seasons were still meant to fit in that 2 1/2 year gap.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  7. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    T-Canon wasn't a separate continuity, though - it was a new tier in the old "canon tiers" system. Each tier wasn't its own continuity, it was simply a guide to what takes precedence when issues arise. T-Canon was in second place, meaning it was above novels and comics but below movies.

8. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    I meant it wasn't part of "continuity canon."

In 2005, "all" the movies were made, and the novels, books, etc were reliant on them, and built around them. No new movies were going to be made that could retcon anything else, and before and during the prequels, no eu material could be made in those eras(like no clone wars books or comics until after episode 2).

TCW began, and they started filling in the timeline, and it was part of continuity canon, then at some point in the early seasons, it was changed to have its own tier. In the bonus features Filoni interviews, he begins speaking of the eu as if it's a resource to base new stories on, much like they speak of "Legends" now, and "c-canon" was treated like S-Canon.

I think it fits okay, for the most part. It didn't seem to overwrite the novels(which is where my interest was).

9. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    I wonder if the new final season of TCW will be canon to both Legends and New Canon like the rest of the show, or just New Canon.

New Canon needs a better name.

10. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    "NC" ?
    How about "NuC"?

Humans are famous for their acronyms.

The additional TCW episodes are absolutely going to contradict both the microseries, and the novels, like LoE.

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    NuCanon is my preferred nomenclature.

12. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    You can just call it "canon".

Manuel Bothans likes this.
  13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    "canon" was originally a fan term - I would suggest "official canon" as more accurate, albeit somewhat meaningless over time... after all, the EU was once official canon.

But "NuCanon" works for me too.

14. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Well, depending on who you asked.

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Exactly. If you asked the movie purists who hated the EU, then it was non-canon. If you asked the actual people at Lucasfilm in charge of deciding what was canon or not, then it was canon. So it really does depend on who you ask, there are good points on both sides.

Nom von Anor and sidv88 like this.
  16. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Yes, at Lucasfilm they gave the EU the term C-canon. While people who dislike the EU may automatically say that means it's non-canon, that would be ignoring the fact that non-canon material had its own classification, N-canon.

17. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    There are also movie purists who didn't hate the EU - despite a little revisionist history on that point, I can confirm we did in fact exist! - but acknowledged it as non-canon, as well as mixed messages on the subject from Lucasfilm itself (recall that as early as 1992 WEG was posting disclaimers in some of their RPG books stating that post-ROTJ material represented "the author's vision of what may have happened"). And of course there was George "my universe and their universe" Lucas, whose opinion on the subject did carry some weight.

18. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    Publicly, Lucasfilm simply referred to it as "canon" or "part of the official history of the star wars universe" and it began in the early 90's.

19. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Though continuity was kept track of well before then, evidently. Chewie's family, for instance, appeared in the Holiday special, the Marvel series, and a kids' book, with the same characters every time.

20. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Yup, one of the first things the proto-publishing program did was to request that all the tie-in stuff be consistent with each other. It extended well beyond the Holiday Special; the Han Solo adventures trilogy was referenced in the newspaper strip, the radio dramas, and the Marvel comics, and the pre-cartoon Ewok material introduced a lot of the elements that became part of the series. Attempts were also made to keep the novels and comics from using things that might appear in upcoming movies too.

TC

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  21. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    I was referring to George Lucas.

22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Specific to the example of Kashyyyk, Chewie's family, etc. that's stuff that all came directly from GL, and no matter what else you might want to say about it, the proto-EU did tend to be pretty careful about maintaining consistency with "George Lore." That's why you also get pretty consistent references early on to how Vader sustained his injuries, the broad strokes of Han's background, etc.
    I'm pretty familiar with the old Marvel comic, but I don't recall any references to the Han Solo Adventures. Do you have any examples?

Daneira likes this.
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm always curious to see how Legends would diverge from "George Lore" and were they stuck closer to it....and that makes me even more interested when the new stuff starts to delve into areas Legends touched (Pre Phantom Menace origins of the Jedi etc) and see if they go more with what George originally intended in his notes ...my guess is a good mix of both.

24. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    A good way to do this is to clear all the retcons out of your head and go back and read the pre-1999 fiction. Zahn very clearly "knows" how the Clone Wars played out, his trilogy depends on it playing out very differently than what is portrayed in Episodes II and III. Same with Children of the Jedi.

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Heck you go further back with the rise of the Emperor as stated in the ANH novelization...Which this video details quite well

I mean "George Lore" is subject to change because nothing is fluid he can change his mind whenever he wants. But it will be interesting to see things moving forward then they touch on the stuff he has notes on that he never executed himself (Again Old Republic, etc etc)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2018