main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo box-office discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Judging by the numbers this thread is going to get shutdown pretty soon regardless off topic or on (though I am trying my best to stay on topic) as Solo is being yanked left and right by movie exhibitors. Our Cinemark is no longer showing it and the AMC 30 by us is only showing a maintee run of it. Regrettably Solo's box office run is done.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Do Box-Office threads only stay open while a movie is in theaters?

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Nope, but the longer it goes on past that point, the more it tends to go off the rails. And this thread has a history of going off the rails.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  4. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    I always heard that rails are made to be broken[face_beatup]

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'd give the movie until at least close to the end of the month and you can pack it in. Solo's numbers go down and down. You know, I liked the movie, it was not too bad, but the firings, budget, lack of marketing and possibly certain corners of the fan base kind of killed it. Still hoping for the movie novelization regardless and a comic series adaption.

Sudooku likes this.
  6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In a strange way I feel disappointed when films I like don't get bigger numbers. A lot of care and effort went in to Solo and they don't deserve IMO to be seen as the people that potentially sunk the anthology films before they got going. But I'd like to think these characters and actors get another chance at it in another story.

Maybe the knives were out from the off in the film community, but to limp towards $400m WW is a real shame.

Maybe expectations from us were too high?

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @AndyLGR

Expecting another $1 billion worldwide was too high of expectations yes. But to not even make Dawn of Justice money? No that isn't expecting too much.

8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yeah I agree. I think I guessed earlier in the thread $700m. I thought we'd get a solid hit which was beneath the trilogy movies. It never even crossed my mind it would do this badly.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I figured that 300M NA and 400M international or so was about right.

Let's say 650M total. Anything more would be over-achievement.

10. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    It didnt even come close to making Justice League money.And thats the lowest grossing film of the DCEU!

11. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    Something that hasn't been brought up yet: Product Placement

Unless I'm mistaken, Star Wars is at a big disadvantage when it comes to this. Big box office hits make a lot of money off of product placement. For instance, 2015's Jurassic World, despite making boat loads of money at the box office, successfully advertized for numerous brands, and probably made millions by doing it. Such things could normally be taken into account if a film is struggling or believed to be losing money.

Does Solo have product placement?

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  12. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It is disappointing but if Disney did not overspent so much, they would be able to get a profit from the 400M total.

Lee_ likes this.
  13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Christus Regnet

You are right Star Wars doesn't do any product placement but they still get tons of corporate sponsors for cross product marketing that helps to pay for the worldwide media campaign. Nissan, Verizon, General Mills and Vizio were just a few of the brands that paid money for cross product marketing on TLJ:

https://deadline.com/2017/09/star-w...ands-general-mills-nissan-verizon-1202172967/

I know Denny's and a few other brands were part of the Solo's corporate sponsors so while it cannot do product placement, SW still gets megabucks from corporate sponsors that helps pay for the media blitz.

Christus Regnet likes this.
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes, you know can buy Coaxium from any supermarket.

15. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    I prefer ethernet

lovethedarkside likes this.
  16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Numbers from Japan :

Op w/e : $4,515,965
    W/e 2 : $2,633,139
    G/Tot : $7,149,104

May do $13 mill or so a drop of 80% on The Last Jedi ( 66.6 mill )

:(:oops:

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Not really. That would be more how I would characterize the Rey Parentage thread; the Reylo thread was straight out of Arkham Asylum.

There was heavy debate around TFA before its release, but it had a fun spirit to it. The only time I would say it was going off the rails is when the whole "TFA Sucks" repetitive bit got beat to death like broken record. Before that, there were always multiple salient points being debated, often quite intelligently; easily the best thread in this forum. It never came close to being shut down or anything before these recent shenanigans.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  18. The Last Cookiemonster

The Last Cookiemonster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    The user you're responding to ironically only comes to this thread to concern-troll over it being off-topic whenever anybody discusses the previous saga movie hurting the franchise and box office for this one. Never if people are discussing the prequels negatively or anything else, they just show up to wring their hands and clutch pearls about this thread if it ventures into less than blind praise for Lucasfilm and the franchise's recent samplings for evaluating this one's box office performance. They haven't posted a single thing related to the actual box office, yet they talk down to those actually discussing it constantly and suggest thread closures repeatedly, like some sort of self-appointed PR shill for Lucasfilm whose weapon of choice is pearl clutching, sheltering this franchise from negative news and assessment as it crashes and burns in this awful way.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  19. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Don't assign motives to other forum member's posts.

Discuss the post, not the poster.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Also, this thread DOES have a history of going off the rails. It was recently templocked for just such behavior.

21. The Last Cookiemonster

Dec 27, 2017
    I was agreeing with you? I was referring to somebody who hasn't once posted anything about the box office, and keeps trolling the thread with discussion and mockery of the posters whenever it goes near linking the ST to Solo's box office performance, which is easy to check.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Do I really need to repeat what Mungo told you? Discuss the post, not the poster.

23. The Last Cookiemonster

Dec 27, 2017
    You're warning the wrong person, I'm the one calling for 100% exactly the same thing as you.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  24. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Outsourced, RiddleMeThis and Lee_ like this.
  25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    :oops: Op w/e , W/e 2, G/Tot. What does that mean? 8-}

Lee_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.