main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC new best friends club thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by tom, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Guess times are different. I grew up knowing I'd better eat what was put in front of me. At least until I could pay for and cook my own food.

2. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

Step aside, Chanel No. 5.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I grew up under those gulag rules. But, I fought the power. My poor mother would enforce my having to sit at the table until I ate everything on the plate and then she would come back into the kitchen an hour past my bedtime to tell me to go to bed since I would sit and stare at the food until it was decaying.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I know people who will cook two different meat and vegetable combinations to accommodate picky eaters. I’ll modify a meal—cook beef burgers for the rest of us and a vegetarian burger for the vegetarian child—but two separate meals aren’t happening. So I’m in the middle a bit.

That’s pretty much the rule my mother had; she would say we could make our own sandwich if we didn’t like the main dish she made.

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That's the worst thing about parenting: it's that you see your own stupidities played out again, and you think "I thought we'd passed this".

"I don't like orange pulp"

Rylo Ken and Diggy like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is the height of truth. We lovingly call our daughter Dilemma because she is always attempting juvenile parkour and takes a krav maga course and we are 50/50 as to whether she will be a zoologist or a cage fighter when she is older. [Also because she is emo and dramatic to the point of agony] But, there honestly came a point when I rang my mother and apologized if others ever looked at her like she abused me due to all of my own self-imposed injury.

SuperWatto and tom like this.
  7. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Yeah. It's when you get the kids that you really get to know your parents.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh god, I kicked off a discussion letting me know I’m a terrible parent.

But kudos to @anakinfansince1983 for calling them beef burgers!

9. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    I just called one of my cousins the name of another cousin in front of her. Normally that kind of thing is forgivable, but the context made it really awkward. The two don't like each other and the ice was starting to thaw between Ms. Named and me.

Not quite as awkward as that scene in On the Beach, but up there.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The scene where everyone sits in Australia waiting for the fallout to hit them?

Ava G. and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  11. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Pretty much. There’s a part where they’re enjoying some ocean beach fun, halfway in denial of their approaching doom. Gregory Peck’s and Ava Gardner’s characters are finally starting to hit it off and flirt like teenagers with everyone watching, charmed, until he accidentally calls her the name of his recently lost wife.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm just excited someone else has seen that movie.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm pretty sure many of us have seen that movie, bezzie.

14. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Which is more manly: Dwight leaving on a final, symbolic mission to return his men home, as an honorable leader to the last... or stepping down from command to be with and emotionally support Moira, whose heart he had decided to steal?

15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Besties I was asked to send a bill for some project to someone in the United States, who would be paying for it. Now I get an email asking if I have a W9 form. So I look up what a W9 form is: "Form W-9 is used in the United States income tax system by a third party who must file an information return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)".
    And I feel like replying: Americentrism +1

Rew, Juliet316 and Rylo Ken like this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I like that Dwight and Angela get married in the season finale of The Office (U.S.)

I don't have any experience with a W9, but since I'm assuming you're outside the US, I would think that maybe the form would help exempt you from taxes being taken out NOW and you/your company would get paid more for your work since you won't be filing in the US to get some of those taxes back LATER? <shrug>

SuperWatto likes this.
  17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Just more business and job killing regulations that kill businesses and jobs. This may seem painful but on the plus side you can dump as much formaldehyde as you want into our water table.

SuperWatto likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hi bezzies. I love this.

19. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    I wonder what led to that spelling.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think unicorns, rainbows, and top class skunk.

21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I really admire how other people think systematically about parenting instead of just lashing out with a tirade of emotional abuse whenever their children show signs of an independent will.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Besties I just had a vegan hotdog. It was actually not too far off the real thing. It was saitan though, so ok in moderation, but probably shouldn’t eat more than one a month

SuperWatto likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    You probably also shouldn't worship saitan.

24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I’m at Latitude festival in Suffolk. Is anyone else doing any festivals this summer?

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't know who they hired to do their photography, but everything looks delicious!
    https://www.latitudefestival.com/areas/food

Are you going to see The Killers? I saw them in January at Wells Fargo Center. They put on a fantastic show.

Rew likes this.