main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics Thrawn #1-6 comic adaptation (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm the opposite. I haven't bought a physical comic since I discovered I could buy them digitally.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Thrawn #6 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Kalevala

Kalevala Jedi Knight

Mar 14, 2018
    I love Ar'alani's design so much, though I thought she would be older.
    Put it in spoiler tag in case anyone wants to wait for the comic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Image courtesy of cystemic on Tumblr.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Daneira, Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, there appears to be a clear consensus that this is one for the OHC hitlist, true?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest 6 of 6. Review tomorrow if I get a chance to read it.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    [face_whistling]I see a certain EU warship in there...

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    The Batonn insurgents field a couple of Dreadnaught-class heavy cruisers. I nearly came straight into this thread to excitedly declare that they'd been recanonised, before remembering that they'd already appeared in Rebels. (In my defence, their brief background appearance was rather easy to forget).

Vthuil, Revanfan1 and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  9. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    A bit too much editing in the last volume for me. Obviously always difficult to cut down a book into a few pages, but they left a lot of Thrawn's ambiguity on the cutting floor.

For example, he was a lot more explicit with Nightswan about his views on the Empire & the Emperor - that Palpatine was not the right person for the role but that the Galaxy needed a strong Empire to fend off an outside threat. (It becomes clear ar this point Thrawn has no idea of the Emperor's true power and evilness.)

Or that he was indeed furious with Pryce over the massacre. He had pretty much promised Nightswan that there would be no bloodbath. And with his original plan there would not have been.

The comic makes it sound as if Thrawn is ok with brushing Pryce's activities under the carpet if it brings him political help. That was not like this in the novel. Thrawn and Eli had a conversation afterwards which made this quite clear.

Maybe only small issues but I was a bit disappointed none the less.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Since I haven't read the novel from which this is adapted, but after reading this comic it almost makes me want to. Does the novel and comic end the same way? I want more story.

Overall, I enjoyed #6 and I didn't see the twists and turns coming, even in this final chapter. There definitely seems to be a lot of ambiguity left open, in general, which will hopefully be addressed in the future.

It makes me love/appreciate Thrawn more to learn that he just isn't out for himself but for the benefit of the Chiss. It seems like nothing will ever break that loyalty to his race.

11. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    So... we're going to mention that, but not

the Dynamic-class freighters and the YT-2000 transports that were in that fleet as well? :p

Also, re: the Rebels Dreadnaughts, weren't those listed as "fleet tenders?"

Having read both the novel and the comic, they pretty much are the same story wise. The overall plot is the same, and most (if not all) of the dialogue is taken from the book itself. The comic, due to space limitations, does leave some stuff out, obviously. For example, how Thrawn become captain of the Thunder Wasp, a couple missions with the Chimaera, and some more stuff with Pryce. Other parts were shortened, if I remember correctly, but they got the point across.

So yeah, I'd say if you liked the comic but wanted more, check out the novel.

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I know I can look it up in wookieepedia, but it would be cool if you could all post pictures of the ships you're geeking out about. ;)

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hah did anyone notice the absolutely brilliant ad placement of Thrawn meets Vader and then turn the page and it's the ad for Thrawn Alliances? also the art choice Luke Ross went with was Rebels influenced Vader which seems appropriate if a bit jarring from his realistic style.

Anyway, interesting ending that Vonto is going off to meet the Chiss but it seemed more menacing than anything. And the explicit statement that Thrawn wasn't exiled but instead was intentionally left behind to gain a tactical advance is a unique wrinkle in his story, although basically it still amounts to serving the Empire (and Sidious literally saw through it anyway but is cool with it.) Also Pryce was the one who blew everybody up, holy hell, how big was that explosion?!

overall, great art but the fact that there was a lotttt of plot and dialogue here that may have been better served if one had read the source materiel (nothing against the writer, the fact remains it's a hellova lot). Fun adaptation but I think the ad placement and the current lack of confirmation on Alliances adaptation means I'm probably going to get the Thrawn Alliances novel if only cuz it might make the possible comic adaptation a wee bit easier to understand.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    The novel described it as being a lot larger, it did level an entire city.

tatooinesandworm and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    So why does Nightswan have those dots under his eyes? Are those tattoos? Markings? I don't like them because it reminds me of a doll or something. I don't remember if the novel mentioned them.

16. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    The novel did not mention these dots as far as I remember. Must have been the artist's decision to give Nightswan some mystique.

I did not much care for it, either, especially as Zahn make Nightswan / Cygni appear pretty weak and harmless the first time we encountered him (way back when Thrawn was just a Lieutenant). Attention-drawing tattoos do not work for me in this context.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

17. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Didn't bother me much. The character is supposed to have come from a fairly lowbrow, mining background and the comic visualisation more or less keeps that aspect by making him seem fairly grungy. You'd still underestimate the guy by looking at him.

18. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I need to either hit my local comic book store or wait for the combined paperback to come out in August.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wait for the OHC instead.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  20. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    When will that come out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Unknown, but it's good odds there'll be one eventually - the Rogue One OHC came out this month, along with Star Wars OHC3 and Phasma OHC.

It's a longer wait but I loathe Marvel's paperbacks.

22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I know it'll never happen, but they should combine this Thrawn comic with Dark Horse's Thrawn Trilogy to make a super omnibus called 'The Rise and Fall of Thrawn'. Yeah, it's different continuities, but I don't think there would be any hiccups combining these 2 works together, ignoring the rest of the respective canon's other works, and it would just be too cool. :)

Voltron64 and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  23. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Didn't they combine the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir TPM with some of the most ridiculous Darth Maul mini comics from Star Wars Tales that were non-canon in any continuity? If that happened, I can't see why this wouldn't be possible.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    sidv88 likes this.
  24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    They also reprinted all of the Infinities versions together with the Star Wars Rough Draft comic, even though all four are extremely different.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The model seen in the comic is not the one seen in Rebels: it's the classic WEG Dreadnaught, weird vesicles and all. [face_mischief]