main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The *Official* 2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Omega, Jun 9, 2018.

?

Who will win the tournament?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2018.
  1. Germany

24.3%
  2. Brazil

10.8%
  3. France

13.5%
  4. Argentina

8.1%
  5. Spain

5.4%
  6. England

8.1%
  7. Belgium

2.7%
  8. Other

27.0%
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

True but that ignores the Kane miss and the occasion Sterling should have squared it.

both teams had chances to win. Croatia took theirs and we didn't. Their goals were by virtue of a lapse of concentration at the back and them being clinical. We failed because although we created the chance we weren't clinical

an hour on and after reflection the result is fair (just) it still hurts as we are a better a team and squad but there is no doubting they do have a couple of players who are far better than anything we currently have to offer (Modric for example)

If Croatia win I will have no objections, they have had an excellent world cup

But still well done England, lets not mess up as we move into Euro 2020

2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    England had every chance in the first half to make at least 2 more goals. And what happened to England on the second half?

France has 9 fingers on the trophy already. Croatia is good but should be no match for France, who is coming from a much harder group.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  3. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    That was gutsiest campaign we've had in years. Losing is a bummer but Southgate's built a tougher, more ambitious squad and for the first time in a very long while I've got hope in the future of the squad.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The guy turns out to be American. And his dog is called Leia!

Darth_Omega and DarthIntegral like this.
  5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I had a lovely night at the theatre. I joined in, got on stage for skit. Lovely time. How was your night?

heels1785 and 3sm1r like this.
  7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    hush fish

//grumpy and now a bit(very) tiddly

8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Depends on if you're going to show us the skit.

Diggy likes this.
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Didn't France have nine fingers on the trophy two years ago, as well, against a less talented Portugal side, who were underwhelming throughout the tournament. Especially with France playing at home?

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Imagine Modric, off the back of winning his 4th Champions League title (and 3rd in a row) also walking away a World Cup Winner.

That's one Hell of a year.

Living the Cristiano Ronaldo dream.

I guess the same applies to Varane, although he's not been as consistent in playing for Madrid as Modric

3sm1r likes this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @halibut please update your sig to “on my knees, worshipping World Cup Finalist Dejan L”

He was immense in this game, btw.

@FatBurt don’t do it to yourself. It’s England, and this was a statistical outlier. they’ll revert to norm.

heels1785 and DarthIntegral like this.
  12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Dejan was a dirty bastard in this game and got away with a lot of sly digs.

When he wasn't being a dirty bastard he was indeed very impressive.

Whilst this is indeed a statistical outlier or anomaly. This team could go on to do well in the future and get better and considering what our under 21's and below have done the future is bright.

We just need to figure out how to maximise what we have effectively. Southgate has surprised me and actually gives me a faint belief that there could be something there.

The pragmatist and pessimist in me says don't be stupid but I know full well that if we make it to the later stages in 2020 I'll foolishly get overconfident again and be hurt.

again

We do however need the media to not overblow ourselves in 2020. We've had a decent world cup by recent standards, let the team develop and grow please.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Lovren’s sly digs were something I liked. He’s usually a bit soft for my liking, but none of that tonight. He had Kane in his pocket, and long may it continue.

And good luck with the press. They’ll build up ridiculously, they’re ****ing ****s.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    And if Croatia win Lovren can have bragging rights over the world's most expensive defender, who had to sit at home & watch the whole thing.

15. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    As you wish xxx

16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Modric. What an amazing player!

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    inter (notably perisic, also brozovic) has had at least one player in every world cup final since 1982. pretty wild.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, England: you were eliminated, you know what you have to do... #FIFAxit

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I love Jon Bois.

I don't like England losing :( At least I got a great shepherd's pie out of it.

For Sunday, it's strukli. Go Croatia.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Wanted to see (very) old school colonial superpowers cup final battle but I'm definitely pulling for France now. (France and England biggest powers that established Canada so best I got) Via la France!

Semi-related from a few world cups ago, me and my friends were in Las Vegas and we're talking a cab and chatting about the cup matches that would happen the next day and the cabbie said "Are you guys Canadian?" And we asked how did he know? And he said "Because you're talking about soccer and you don't have accents."

Lordban likes this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The cave divers in Thailand have offered their services to try and find Harry Kane, who went missing for the last hour of a world cup semi-final.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Like halibut I also said England vs Belgium. I didn't think it would be for third place though!

halibut likes this.
  23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    This is boring now.

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll be cheering for England to beat Belgium. Otherwise the whole EU will be pointing and laughing.

Darth Smurf and Lordban like this.
  25. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Hey, we can already make Brexit jokes about what happened with Croatia. Belgium winning won't change things ;)