main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Who are the best jedi, dark jedi and bounty hunters introduced by FFg? Curious as to everyone’s thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Which one?

3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    It’s called Phydolon

4. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

I guess. Having OCD doesn’t help :(

5. Voltron64

Voltron64 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2009
  6. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Always. I'll be happy to start:

The GMing advice contained in the "An Introduction to Gamemastering" and "Running Adventures" sections of the first edition WEG rulebook remain the best introductory advice for gamemasters I've read in 30 years (!!) of GMing. It should be required reading for anyone who wants to GM - not just Star Wars, but any RPG. It's that good.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I have the original, rather than rereleased, versions of those two books (Rulebook and Sourcebook) - found them in a second hand bookshop a couple of years or so back. The covers were very beat-up, especially at the corners - but the text inside was fine.

Hopeless, Voltron64 and KerkKorpil like this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    My collection of second-hand WEG sourcebooks are treasured parts of my SW collection. Especially my worn copies of the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook and Dark Empire Sourcebook.

--Adm. Nick

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    My first book was Planets of the Galaxy 3, Elrood sector. Still have it.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Easily: even though I will happily use FFG books as sourcebooks, to this day I still run D6 games. I hadn't played it since 1999, until a few old friends called me to run a quick one-shot for them and their partners, and I thought that dusting off D6 would be the best idea, as it's simple and easily picked up.

That was five years ago, and I've been happily running games in the system since then. It's ease of play and extreme simplicity are perfect for OT-reminiscent gaming.

So yeah, I'm anxiously waiting for the Amazon guy to drop the 30th anniversary on my mailbox. I already own both rulebooks (in two languages!) but I'll happily pay up so that more reprints happen in the future.

11. Voltron64

Voltron64 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2009
    My copy arrived today after a week's worth of eager waiting.

What I'm gonna do now is to select the Gambler template, add 2D to the blaster skill and make the GFFA's equivalent of a certain John Henry Holiday.

;)

Hopeless likes this.
  12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I was going to pick it up, but sort of blew my budget on the $60 Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign.

I never actually ran the WEG D6 Star Wars, despite owning hard copies of a number of the game books. During that time period, I was more into other RPGs (WEG's Paranoia and TORG, for instance) and my interest in Star Wars overall was practically nil (except for nostalgia for the OT) until the X-Wing series came out.

13. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Does anyone know if the availability of the 30th anniversary edition is really that limited? I don't quite have the funds right now, but I will in the near future. Should I be at all concerned?

14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    $60 for Masks? Have mercy. Not to sound like I'm constantly rubbing two pennies together (even though I am), but the D6 books are also a reminder of when gaming was a hobby that was within the reach of a modest budget. Anyone remember what the cover price was of the original D6 rulebook and sourcebook? If you said $14.95, you are correct.

Vthuil and DarthJaceus like this.
  15. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    With inflation that's about 33USD now, so yeah, the actual price of the hobby has at least doubled (without even taking into consideration the increased volume with the boom of the gaming market in the last decade).

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    And let's not forget that the quality has gone up exponentially over the years. I just got my 30th edition and as nicely as it sits with the 2nd stuff, the quality of the art etc is way below what FFG produces.

ATimson and Jedi Princess like this.
  17. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

I don't know how many times we need to bang this drum: RPG stuff is only canon when it's addressed by other canon sources, though the idea of canonicty in the context of a story you and your friends are improvising around a table/screen is inherently silly. There's been very little vagueness on that. If a canon author/director wanted to use a Phydolon, I'm sure they'd be able to. I don't, however, think anyone was at the writer's round table for the Episode IX script screaming "WHERE ARE THE PHYDOLONS?"

In other news, I inch ever-closer to actually running an Age of Rebellion game. I did some digging (rather than, I guess, assuming it wouldn't work?) and found out that one can make FFG games run in Roll20 with a little bit of judicious slicing to modify the dice roller. That means I can build the game using the latest system, which actually looks pretty good. If the crew doesn't want to bother learning new dice, I guess I could use the d6 or d20 systems, too.

I also learned that Vassal allows multiplayer and larger map support the X-Wing miniatures game, meaning I can use that system for space battles as I originally hoped. I just hope that Vassal hasn't recreated the tabletop rules so faithfully that I can't modify them for story purposes.

If I pull this off and actually run a game, it will feel like the culmination of a lot of my fandom endeavors up to this point. It's heady stuff.

Vthuil and Jedi Princess like this.
  18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Oh, that's only $60 for the pdf. The hard copy will be $130. :p (Buying the pdf, however, means the cost is deducted from the hard copy if you buy it later)

Back in ancient times, I remember saving up to get the original 1st Ed Dungeon's Master Guide around 1980 or so - IIRC, it was about $12. 5th Ed goes for $50 retail ($35 through CoolStuff). The core rulebook for FFG's Star Wars runs $60..

Keep in mind, though, that the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign setting is somewhat an exception - an expanded, extremely high-quality revision of a classic campaign that is rated as one of the most popular of any RPG (it clocks in at almost 700 pages as well).

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Getting certain people to accept that it's not canon is a task that cannot be accomplished by mere mortals.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  20. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, I'd agree. I mean, if nothing else, FFG's stuff being a mashup of canon and Legends from day one shows that it's not meant to apply anywhere outside the game, even if Legends content has essentially disappeared from the franchise now.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Dear Heavenly Father,

We beseech you, oh Lord, to have FFG announce a new wave for Armada at GenCon. We ask that you bestow your blessings upon this game. We ask, oh Lord, that you remind the folks at FFG that this game sells, it is popular, and that a certain unnamed online bathtub admiral with a Mon Calamari avatar is prepared to take out a second mortgage on his house to buy as many ships as possible.

In your name we pray. [face_praying]

Amen.

--Adm. Nick

22. TheRedBlade

Mar 17, 2007
    The Resistance definitely has enough ships that can work in-game, so let’s gooooooo.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  23. TheRedBlade

Mar 17, 2007
  24. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    My wallett has been drained by other hobbies. I'm OK with waiting a bit.

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ok... today is FFG's presentation at GenCon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they at least say that Armada has future waves planned... even if we don't get formal announcements. [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade and JediBatman like this.