main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wookieepedia, the Star Wars wiki

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I'm not making any quality statements. And I'm not pretending the same won't be true of "canon" in forty years, who knows? But the very fact that there were "canon levels" means it was never "one continuity." I don't know why this is such a controversial thing to say, even Wookieepedia acknowledges this in ways. I am just saying I would prefer this gigantic archive, that is often new and casual fan's first exposure to these stories, to embrace this MORE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outsourced, Vthuil and vncredleader like this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Um. You definitely made a quality statement, about how the individual media was weakened by being treated as part of a cohesive whole. Thus the umbrage.

If you want us to differentiate between Canon, Legends, S-Canon, the FF stuff, Lego, and Infinities, sure, that seems fair enough. If you want to distinguish between G, T and C Canon within those relative categories, I don’t see the point now - G and T Canon became part of Canon and C Canon is Legends so you’d nitpicking exactly 7 entries in relation to Legends, unless you wanted to make an argument that Droids. the Holiday special etc are T Canon... which seems unlikely.

Canon and Legends, with notes as to what is unlicensed post-reboot content of Legends a la Skyewalkers and Cult Encounters, and maybe FF post-reboot content, what relatively little there is, seems fine.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I find it interesting that if you really think about it "Legends" is really just a construct in our minds. I mean what did we call it before hand...The Expanded Universe...but again that's just a construct in our heads, what did people who first got these books with Splinter of the Minds Eye and the Marvel comics call it?

To get meta or philosophical on you, does Legends really even exist? xo

And hence why the whole lumping it all on Wookipedia isn't really the most honest thing in the long run, to much binary thinking.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  4. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Who is Wookieepedia to make subjective judgments about which parts of the EU fit better with each other than others? The site's job is to objectively detail what was presented in what was ostensibly one unified canon, not to separate it into made-up subsections based on authors' differing takes on a character.

Even major canon-breaking works, like Star Wood, were presented as being part of the same continuity as everything that had come before, and the way that the Wook handles that --- the banner at the top of the Rogue Squadron article coupled with a detail of the inconsistency in "Behind the scenes," for example --- is, realistically, the best that the Wook can do. Fan sites don't decide that something is part of a separate canon. Fan encyclopedias do their best to make sense of an inconsistent EU.

Even official works like Warfare and The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia attempted to streamline inconsistencies, like the multiple Death Star Plans. Why should Wookieepedia treat them as being part of different continuities when officially published works beg to differ?

Nobody would assert that treating the EU as a single cohesive whole doesn't require some sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "LA LA LA LA LA" now and then, but it isn't dishonest. Wookieepedia does its job, and to do otherwise would turn it into an encyclopedia of fanon, not canon.

5. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    For FFG, I will assume that anything that contains Disney era material to be canon. Star Wars: Destiny card game is surely canon and Roleplaying supplements like Ghosts of Dathomir and Dawn of Rebellion are canon. The Force Awakens Beginner Game is also most definitely canon as it is said to be a separate from the 3 Core FFG games. The 3 Core FFG books and some sourcebooks published before 2014 are Legends and the Living Card Game which came out in 2013 is Legends because it draws heavily on Legends themes and characters.

6. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Good grief, keep your voice down, Ender will hear you. His eyes and ears are everywhere!

Anyway, I'm guessing that when you say canon you actually mean headcanon, because we've discussed at some length in the FFG thread the fact that lore from FFG material is neither Story Group canon nor Legends. It exists outside of both continuities. Admittedly that's not easy to fit into a canon vs. Legends paradigm, but that's not really the paradigm. Nothing wrong at all with headcanoning such material, of course.

7. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

Yeah my “headcanon” needs to be re-evaluated by my psychiatrist.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So how is Wookieepedia handling the way Marvel is re-releasing the Tales stories in their Epic collections? They seem to be inserting them chronologically into collections when some of them never had a firm timeline placement pre-2014, and I believe some of the ones being included were not even among the ones considered canon prior to 2014.

9. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Is the new wiki format making it hard for some people to access pages?

DarthJaceus likes this.
  10. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    The site looks more cluttered to me than ever before. I remember when the main page had portals for eras, governments, characters, weapons, etc that made it much easier to sift through, now that's been replaced with "wookiee news"

Also, on a lot of pages there is a video at the top now that's really annoying, if you scroll past it it shows up on the corner of your screen. I remember the site used to be streamlined and looked really clean, now everything is covered in adds and videos. I still use the site extensively, it's not unusable, it just doesn't look nearly as nice anymore.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  11. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    It's the beauty of FANDOM Presents Wookieepedia, the FANDOM Star Wars Wiki, Powered by FANDOM.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    A Fandom of the Old Continuity

WMIRTUTSF and Vthuil like this.
  13. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I don't believe we've really discussed this. One of the Epic Collections slots in Old Wounds, so...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Malachi108 likes this.
  14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I will say that it loads better in Chrome than it used to. But yeah, that's a pretty busy page. I think my ad-blocker might be shielding me from some of the ads and videos and whatnot that others are seeing. Try accessing it in Chrome with the uBlock extension and see if your experience is any better.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    DarthJaceus likes this.
  15. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Hah, that's kind of funny.

Looking it up now (on Wookieepedia, of course) that volume also includes a number of other stories that were either explicitly stated as being, or just plain obviously, non-canon to Legends: Melvin Fett, Prey, Ghost, and In the Beginning.

SkywalkerShine likes this.
  16. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    Melvin Fett is segregated into a humor strip section with a canon Legends story, so I'm pretty confused.

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Out of curiosity, which canon Legends story?

18. AV-6R7

Dec 9, 2014
    "The Value of Proper Intelligence to Any Successful Military Campaign is Not to Be Underestimated"

19. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    That portal was heavily based on JavaScript and made the page load very slowly. It was low performing.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Anyone explain precisely what source the picture on the ‘breast’ article came from? I literally do not believe that is from an actual source and not some fan-art.

Before you ask it was used to counter the argument in the GoT producer thread that there would be no nudity in a Star Wars movie.

I am mightily prepared to be proven wrong but also mightily baffled.

Fallen Jedi Master likes this.
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    It was from some art book that came out maybe a decade ago... definitely in the time in between ROTS and the Disney buyout. It had a lot of pictures of Star Wars characters and settings inspired by great artists and paintings of the real world. I remember Syd Mead did a piece for it but I don't remember what. But yes, it was from an actual Lucasfilm-published book.

Malachi108 likes this.
  22. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    That the Wook has entries for completely mundane body parts like boobs will never not be weird to me.

Fallen Jedi Master and Daneira like this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, it's been brought up numerous times here, both the book and the image on the Wook page (plus, as pointed out, the existence of the page in the first place). Look hard enough and you'll find the image posted somewhere around here, uncensored even.

I have the book, Visions. Basically George told a bunch of artists to go crazy and draw whatever they wanted as long as it was at least slightly Star Wars related. Seriously, there are some pieces in it that just barely fit within the universe.

24. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Yes, it was this piece, "Abandoned Sith World". Nice palette.

[​IMG]

I switch my ad, script, and autoplay blockers on and off depending on what I'm working on and if I visit the Wook with them still switched off accidentally, blegh. The addition of those videos sucks out loud.

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Ah, the videos! But you see, readers want that. It's modern.
    At least that's what we've been told.

DarthJaceus and AV-6R7 like this.