main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Time for Nu Star Wars: Republic?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jul 6, 2018.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I have enjoyed various star wars comics of the new Canon, but I feel it is a missed opportunity not having a star wars on going comic series set in the prequel era.

With the old canon wipe their is so much blank spaces between Episode 1-2 and pre-TPM. Its to bad that Anakin and Obiwan mini is all we have between those two episodes. Mauls mini and Yodas arc in the main star wars series is sadly all we have seen so far before TPM.

TCW being canceled and future tv projects set for other eras, I don't see any prequel content playing on our screens for a long time or never.

However with the Poe comic series coming to a end, I wonder if Disney will view the prequel era as the place for a future long running comic. That way giving the fanbase new stories in all the canon eras. Clearly their is still plenty of fans who love to get more content of that time period.

Make it like an anthology. Giving us adventures during the clone wars, years preceding the war, stories about young Obiwan and Qui-gon/Jedi Dooku before TPM, tales about Quinlan Voss, Republic Commandos, etc. Allowing characters who appeared in TCW with little time on stage, more room to develop. While also introducing new characters to follow. I like how Disney built up a new character in various appearances in the OT era through Doctor Aphra.

Do you believe its time to finally introduce an on going series to the age of the Republic?

If you agree with me, how do you want it to play out?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That would be sweet, NGL, although I think more miniseries are more likely. I'm surprised they still haven't developed any Clone Wars scripts as a mini, to be honest. There might be a strong reason but... come on! They are there for the taking!

(I also want Marvel to do something with all the many characters they introduced in the 1970s and 1980s. Sure, the Ordo Aspectu were awesome, but let's see more of that: people like Shira Brie, Valance the Hunter or Rik Duel's crew are clamoring for a canonical update.)

3. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I'd rather more set in the post-Endor era to find out what's actually been going on as we still don't have a backstory on the ST. That and I want to see Disney's take on the Old Republic era. We've had TOO much PT and OT stuff, and very little ST and pre-PT stuff.

4. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I like the sound of that but would much prefer those stories in novel format. Dooku, Grievous, Qui-Gon stories (just a few examples) by good, proven SW authors would be amazing.

5. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I agree with the OP. I would love to see some Prequel-era content from Marvel.

Ideally, I would enjoy some long story arcs which focus on the members of the Jedi Council as they are dispatched on their various missions in aid of the war effort.

I would also like to see a series of novels devoted to this era. Like @EmperorHorus I would like to see these novels focus on important characters like Qui-Gonn and Mace. General Grevious would make for a fantastic novel in the right hands.

The character that I would most like to see explored is Sifo-Days. I think that his backstory and decision to defy the Council's authority would make a fascinating read. I would be very interested to learn more about his powers of foresight and their having driven him to initiate the clone army.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  6. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I want this so badly. Even in Legends this era wasn't covered enough. An ongoing series would be ideal. Especially something focused on Anakin and Obi-wan. They could do a couple arcs pre Seperatist Crisis and then go in depth on that for the rest of the series. They could supplement the ongoing with mini series about Jedi council members, and/or do one shots between arcs focused on them. I'd also like novels about Jedi, Padme, and Dooku. Padme in particular has been so underutilized which is frustrating. She's an important and interesting character. There has been a lot of Dark Times content and stuff in the OT era, so I feel like the prequels deserve more attention. They could easily do an ongoing per era and have Mini series rotate between time periods. The books could do something similar.

Also, I'd really like them to finish the Clone Wars, pre and post TCW.

7. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    A lot of the Legends stories in the Prequel Era were made as tie-in media to promote the films and/or the cartoon. With no more films or cartoons, we're definitely going to get a lot less content than we once did. Some of the stuff mentioned in the original post does show that for the New Canon they've been willing to show us some stories set in this era. But I think it's going to be more of a trickle and not any ongoings. Another concern is the risk of treading on ground that Legends already tread on.

8. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    The original Star Wars: Republic series was the first comic I ever read, and was responsible for turning me into the huge comics fan I've become today! I would love a canon series set during the prequels.

kalzeth likes this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I really hope they expand the "Obi-wan and Anakin" comic... that had great characterization, and a great analysis of the state of the Jedi and Republic before the Clone Wars happened. And also showed the absolutely brilliant way Palpatine began to groom and manipulate Anakin.

10. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    I would keep my eye out for something to come at TCW 10th Anniversary SDCC panel. They're probably looking into closing the remaining stories between Dark Disciple and ROTS and something between AOTC and the Mace Windu comic and between the comic and Cat and Mouse. I'm guessing Marvel Animation's funding is going toward expanding Lucasfilm Animation instead since the MCU isn't interested in animation but only live-action and this could prove worthy to be put on the streaming service with a complete chronological box set planned for 2020? Or since the Poe comic is ending, they could do an ongoing series to adapt the stories instead. I was thinking they could've made a TCW campaign for the scripts but it seems like EA DICE is fully committed to multiplayer than single-player content.

11. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    The pre-/post-TPM era is one of my favorites, and even in Legends it was under-explored. I want to see the Republic at the point right before it begins its final descent. I want regional conflicts that don't involve clones and droids. I want to see Jedi doing their jobs as peacekeepers. I loved the little era around TPM's release where we had a bunch of games and comics set in that era, Battle for Naboo and Starfighter and such. Would love an ongoing comic about that stuff, but I don't really see it happening anytime soon. And I get it, it's not what most general audiences are looking for. But I can hope!

12. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    The CIS could also use more love when it comes to stories from their perspective. Exspecially what certain future members were doing before the war broke out.

A General Grievious canon backstory, early Ventress and Dooku interaction, etc.

I also want to see more of the non-droid soldiers of the CIS.

Pre-TCW content could "revive" the night sisters as well besides just showing Ventress. I do wonder how Mother Talzin had possessions of several Jedi light sabers.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  13. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    If you did that you'd have to kind of ignore a lot of TCW canon IMO. I mean they had a separatist senate . . . it was weird. James Luceno is exactly the kind of guy to do justice stories involving the CIS, he's done it before with his prequel works

14. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Wait, why would you have to ignore the cartoon to do Separatist stories? And what's weird about the Separatist Parliament?

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Soule writes lots of Star Wars and with Poe Dameron ending maybe they'll give him another pre-Clone Wars PT era mini or something. (assuming his other Marvel stuff doesn't overwhelm his schedule, he's up for a Return of Wolverine miniseres and so forth now)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  16. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    A story arc about the Mandalorian Civil War (when Obiwan meets Satine) is ripe for potential.

Jango Fett is also a character that deserves some time in the new canon other then AoTC. If they ever do a Boba Fett anthology, Jango should show up in a few flashbacks.

The 10 years between TPM and AoTC is also an excellent period to create a crisis on a similar scale of the Stark-Hyperspace War. A conflict that has more players and more then just two jedi involved. Battles seen that are larger then the fights seen in the Anakin n Obiwan comic. Maybe a pre-cyborg Grievous could fulfill a role in this conflict. An event where stories are told from several different perspectives on the conflict, perhaps becoming a war that was the most deadly the jedi partook in between 1-2, before the outbreak of the clone wars overshadows its

Speaking of the Anakin and Obiwan mini, I someday want the identity of the mysterious sith in the holorecording resolved. Do the sith share blame in why the world fell apart? Was this hooded sith a member of the Rule of Two, or is he from the old republic era?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Barriss_Coffee and kalzeth like this.
  17. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I guess you wouldn't have to do any of that if you were writing the book for children, as TCW was

18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    That's really an easy number one on my list of "alluded to" stories that I'd like to see in full. Qui-Gonn as a main character for one thing, Obi-Wan romance, Jedi on the run and Mandalorian Civil War as a backdrop? That's about as good as it gets.

19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    As all of Star Wars canon was when they were making the """"grown up"""" EU you apparently liked before, so that still doesn't answer my question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    SEPARATIST PARTLIACOUNCIL LOVEFEST FOR ADULTS LIKE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

....I'm sorry. I don't know what happened for a second there.

...oh yeah and I agree what the 91th SW fan said up there about Iaco Stark. Bring back a black hat hacker threat like that. Hacker threats are somewhat underused in SW, surprisingly. I mean I know they show up here and there, but we've rarely gotten a good one on Stark's level. It's a good pre-TCW threat without paralleling the plot of TCW.