main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2008 Presidential Election: Who should be the Democrat Nominee?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by TheBoogieMan, Nov 28, 2006.

?

2008 Presidential Election: Who should be the Democrat Nominee?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Hillary Clinton

17.2%
  2. Barack Obama

51.6%
  3. Tom Vilsak

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. John Kerry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Al Gore

12.9%
  6. Joe Biden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. John Edwards

1.1%
  8. Bill Richardson

1.1%
  9. Evan Bayh

3.2%
  10. Other

12.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Poll suggestion by Kol_Skywalker.

This poll is now superceded by an updated version found here:

http://boards.theforce.net/census_and_games/b10264/27810325/p1/?9

-?Tyi

2. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Barack Obama, right after I heard his speech in the last DNC I said that if ever he was on a presidential ticket I would vote for him and I have loved listening to him ever since. The guy is full of common sense, and that is something I feel we are seriously lacking in this country today.

3. SuperB_at_Pooh

SuperB_at_Pooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2006
    Barack Obama

very smart guy...

4. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Other

It's too bad Mark Warner dropped out. He would have been my best choice.

Evan Bayh, Joe Biden, or someone else unknown would make a better candidate than Obama or Hillary.

Obama is simply a poster prop for the Dems, nothing more. If he weren't of mixed race, he wouldn't be given the spotlight he has been given even though he is charismatic. He's an untested candidate, and it is far too early to determine if he'd make a viable Presidential nominee.

If the Dems nominate Hillary, then the GOP will win again (unless they put up a total dud).

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Evan Bayh

I like what I've heard about Obama, but he's too inexperienced. I remeber Bayh from his days as governor (I think) of Indiana when I was going to college out there. Smart guy, moderate. Would be a good choice.

6. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I voted for Al Gore.

I believe that his political destiny will mirror Richard Nixon.

Nixon lost a close election in 1960 as sitting Vice President (VP Al Gore in 2000), stood out of 1964 (Al Gore in 2004), and won in 1968 (Al Gore - 2008?).

7. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
  8. SeventhAngelicSlayer

SeventhAngelicSlayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2005
    Right now I'll say Barack Obama, maybe with Hillary as the vice presidential candidate.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Other: Wesley Clark

10. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Tom Vilsack, Evan Bayh, or other.

Hillary Clinton is just too controversial, also she doesn't stand a chance at winning. I don't believe she could pick up any of the states that John Kerry lost in 2004, and nearly every citizen already has an opinion of her. Barack Obama, while a strong candidate, is questionable on experience, and that will be hurting him. Four years in the Senate? Not sure if he would be ready to be the Commander In Chief during, I pray not, one of the more dangerous and definitive periods in recent history. Joe Biden, who has the foreign policy experience, does come with some baggage. Long serving Senator from Delaware won't automatically turn any states blue, and will give the GOP something to attack (voting record).

Tom Vilsack & Evan Bayh are moderate candidates that will appeal to the average voter, and I think stand a strong chance at winning. A lot of people on the left don't like Evan Bayh because he's a strong moderate, but I respect his opinion, and he does have the experience (two term Governor of Indiana and two term Senator). He has an enormous approval rating in Indiana, and would most surely turn Indiana, and most likely Ohio, at the least, to the Democrats, allowing them to obtain victory.

Wesley Clark is my only other possible nominee, as I think he would be a strong candidate - liked by the left and highly respected by moderates, can run as an "outside the Beltway" candidate, and is a good mind on foreign affairs, which is one the key to the race (most likely) will be.

As DM said, too bad Mark Warner says he is not going to run - he was my favored candidate and the man I was most anticipating would run.

John Kerry, and John Edwards, I have a feeling will not be on either end of the ticket in 2008. Both had their chance in the spotlight, Kerry is now even more disliked, and the only reason, I believe, that they still pop up is because their two of the names that people know of when thinking of possible candidates. If I remember correctly, Gore & Lieberman were two of the favored candidates before the 2004 election. Kerry I don't think could even win the primary, let alone the general election, seeing as how if he couldn't beat George Bush, he's not going to beat John McCain or someone of that stature.

11. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    I'd love to see a woman running your country...

We've got a nerd running ours..... [face_mischief]

12. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Barack Obama, but I rather him wait until 2012 to run.

13. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    Hilary Clinton FTW!

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Hey, just because he's got big eyebrows doesn't mean... :p

15. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    What if he ran, and was on the ticket as VP? Clinton and Obama, that would be a dream ticket IMO.

I personally don't see the need for loads of experience, common sense and intelligence is much more critical to the job. Look who we got now, the Bush Admin is packed full of experience, it didn't seem to help them at all.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hilary Clinton is (seen as) too much of a ***** (and, let's face it, a woman); Obama is too inexperienced (and, let's face it, too black). Neither of them would win a Presidential election in 2008.

That's why I put "Other." Democrats don't have a strong candidate to offer! :_|

17. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Well, the good thing is that the Republicans don't have a lot of good candidates either. Guiliani is too liberal, Romney will rub people the wrong way, the Mormon thing and all. McCain, though strong, has been "flip-flopping" and cozying up with the religious right. This upcoming election just sucks for both sides.

18. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    Barack Obama

19. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Exactly, I agree completely. We need a fresh perspective.

Obama FTW.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm an independent. But I'll say, from a strategy POV, the smartest thing to do would be to have Obama as the VP candidate. He doesn't have enough experience to run for President, but he would be a great draw for the younger crowd if he were the VP candidate. Then you could have a more experienced person for Pres.

I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, just the smart thing.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Then impeached in 74 (Gore - 2014) and used extensively in Futurama. :p

22. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Nice [face_laugh]

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Al Gore by far. Obama or Edwards for his VP.

24. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Al Gore by far.

Gore/Obama would be sweet. A lot of experience and personality, they would help each other a lot in a general election. Especially when the most challenging thing a candidate has to do is have everyone know who he is, well everyone in America already knows who Al Gore is because just six years ago the majority of Americans voted for him for President.

25. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I have a strong feeling it's going to be Al Gore, the more and more I think of it, and I couldn't be more happy or ready to support someone.

Let's take this country back. [face_flag]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.