main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 24: The Jack Bauer Power Hour (and Spin-Offs)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Fourth season's 2 hour premiere airs tonight, and then the following two episodes air tommorow night.

A friend of my screened them a week or two ago and claimed they were at least as good as the first season.

I'm interested to see how this season plays out, what with the somewhat radical cast shift, but also the unexpectedly complex nature of the third season will be interestiong to try and top.

SPOILER RULES:

All spoilers for an episode must be blacked out until the episode finishes airing on the west coast- after that, it's fair game.

2. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I've never actually seen minute one of the show, but I'm thinking about tuning in tonight to give it a shot.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    From what I can tell, this seems to be a good season to jump onboard with, as there doesn't seem, at least initially, any left over plotlines/villians from the first few seasons, and with much of the cast not returning as regulars, it could be very newbie-friendly for the most part.

Of course, the show is welcome to prove me wrong ;)

4. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    Bring it on! I am ready for it!

5. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I think you're right, 2nd. There may be some lingering things from the first three seasons (cameos from past characters, references to past events, etc.)...but I wouldn't think it would be anything substantial that would confuse newer viewers. Events from the past seasons will have some sort of after-effect on later seasons, obviously. Seeing the previous seasons is ideal (highly ideal, IMO)...but not required to enjoy season four.

Finally saw the entirety of Season Three (I only caught the first five or so episodes when they originally aired)...and...wow...what a great show this is. The death of Nina was beyond satisfying. I find it crazy that she met her end in the same exact room where she killed Jack's wife. Awesome.

The execution of Chappelle was very heart-wrenching. Who would've known that he had those kind of emotions? He's always such a hard ass. It was great--and heartbreaking--seeing the human side of Chappelle before Jack had to shoot him. Friggin' fantastic acting. He and Kiefer played very well off of each other during these scenes. The execution scene in particular.

Seein' Sherry's demise was also nice ( [face_devil] ). I like to call this season the "Great '24' Character Purge"...because alot of long-time supporting characters bit the dust.

Tony kicks ass. Michelle kicks ass and is hot. Palmer kicks ass. Chase kicks ass. Gayel kicks ass. The CTU torture dude kicks ass. Kim is hot. Chloe is annoying as hell.

I also found myself tearing up several times as I watched this season. The end scene of Jack crying really got to me. Damn. All in all fantastic stuff. There's just too much to mention.

Anyways...can't wait for tonight. Should be awesome.

I'm gonna really miss Tony and Michelle, though. I hope that the rumors of them making cameo appearances is true. Tony is my second favorite character next to Jack. :(

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was sorta hoping they'd let Tony start to take over as the show's lead if they were gonna off Jack ("24: The Almeda Files" or something).

Hopefully Cloe will still be around- her ability to unleash the most awkward, straight-forward, self-centered and jerky comments was one of the best parts of season 3. (I can just see someone holdinga gun to her head- "You better just go ahead and shoot me or something cause I have things to do, ok? Gah- just pull the trigger already or get out of my way, jerk")

I'll be curious to see if there's any significant connections to that brief Season 4 prequel on the DVD as well.

7. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    "Yeah, I was sorta hoping they'd let Tony start to take over as the show's lead if they were gonna off Jack ("24: The Almeda Files" or something)."

Ohhhhhh, baby...that would've rocked so ****ing hard.

Speaking of Tony...do you think that he got a big jail sentence? Do you think they'll make mention of it this season?

"Hopefully Cloe will still be around- her ability to unleash the most awkward, straight-forward, self-centered and jerky comments was one of the best parts of season 3. (I can just see someone holdinga gun to her head- "You better just go ahead and shoot me or something cause I have things to do, ok? Gah- just pull the trigger already or get out of my way, jerk")"

[face_laugh]

I'm sure she will be.

Don't get me wrong...she made me smirk and chuckle here and there...but I think it was more the way she walked and her facial expressions that annoyed the hell out of me.

"I'll be curious to see if there's any significant connections to that brief Season 4 prequel on the DVD as well."

It wouldn't surprise me.

8. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Hey, let me ask you guys something. So far, these crises have all been resolved, coincidentally, in the 24th hour of the day?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Each season tends to be two acts in a way- the initial major threat (assassination, nuclear bomb, drug cartel) is usually resolved midway through the season, and a second threat/problem arises in it's aftermath which plays through the remainder of the season...and, yes, is resolved in the final hour.

So it's more like two back-to-back, somehow-linked, crises that take roughly 12 hours to resolve (more or less).

10. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Oh, ok. Thanks.

Edit: Oh man, the new season of Carnivale premieres tonight at 9:00, and I do want to give that another shot. Why doesn't my cable system get that darn east coast HBO channel? Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to catch that later in the week.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I'm seeing it for the first time tonight and I'm looking forward to it.

12. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    From what I can tell, this seems to be a good season to jump onboard with, as there doesn't seem, at least initially, any left over plotlines/villians from the first few seasons, and with much of the cast not returning as regulars, it could be very newbie-friendly for the most part.

Of course, the show is welcome to prove me wrong

Exactly. I think that cleaning house cast-wise was a brilliant move on the producers' part. Not only that, but like 2ndQuest said, any new fans coming on board right now wont be lost plot wise, either. In fact, the producers said that they like to think of the first 3 seasons as a trilogy, and season 4 as a 'rebirth'. From what Ive read Id definitely tend to agree with this.

This will be a huge season for 24, probably their most important to date. New night, new time, new cast and an uninterrupted run from beginning to end. If this isnt the time for it to be the breakaway hit that it always should have been than I dont know what is.

Oh, and if anyone's curious about Tony's fate, send me a PM. I know a little bit in that regard...

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that reminds me- we should probably set up some spoiler rules for this thread...

How about all spoilers for an episode should be blacked out for one week (basicly until the next episode airs- this two-night premiere being the exception, naturally)?

That would give people plenty of time to catch the show the first night, on a second airing (if FX is doing that this year, for example) or on their Tivo.

That sound good to everyone? or would you prefer something shorter? (It should probably be no shorter than a day, to accomodate other timezone airings and such.)

14. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    I think all spoilers should be blacked-out until after the new episode for that week airs in the West Coast. After that, everything is fair game. :)

15. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Either that, or we do it like we do it in the JCC thread and make everything HTL, and once the episode airs on the East Coast its officially fair game to discuss it. Anyone on the West Coast or anywhere else could then just avoid the thread until after it airs where they live.

Either way, though, Ill abide by whatever you guys want to do. It really doesnt matter to me.

16. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    That works, too. Whatever you decide, 2nd...but having to black everything out for a week after it airs is a bit much (makes it more of a pain in the ass to discuss after the episodes air). I think either we do it the way I proposed, or the way it is done in the JCC thread. But...again...it's up to you, man.

17. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Wouldn't it be cooler to discuss it as it's on? That's what I'm doing in the YJCC.

18. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    Gahh! The wife unit says I can't watch it while the kids are up. So it is taping. No spoilers for me!

Closes eyes and backs out of this thread!

19. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Its probably better that you wait until the kids are asleep, this way you can watch it in peace, you know ? :p

20. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I watched some of the first season but none of the other seasons. Its just something I always seemed to miss. However, watching it tonight, it looks very good so I might try and stay on board for the whole season.

21. Apprentice_Anakin

Apprentice_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Sep 17, 2001
    This is so amazing. :D

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, to be fair to the west coast viewers, let's go with black out spoilers until it finishes airing on the west coast.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Awesome start for this season- and Cloey is back in form ;)

You think the reason they went on the SOD's eyes is he might start doing morse with blinking or something?

It's always a good sign if the show can get me cheering "Go Jack!" like it did once Jack got the cuffs off

24. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Pretty solid premiere, or at least I thought that it was. Things should start falling into place a bit more tomorrow night, but I loved how Jack is once again kickin ass and taking names. I was suprised that Ronnie was killed so quickly, though, and it looks like Debbie isnt far behind (which I dont really mind, personally; sure, she's cute but Im already annoyed by her. She's another Kim except she isnt as hot). The one thing I really didnt, like, though is the whole kidnapping thing, mainly Audrey being dragged into it. Its too reminiscent of what happened with Teri and Kim in season one, IMO. Hopefully they realize this and what drag it out too much.

Either way I cant wait for another two hours tomorrow night.

25. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    I'm one of the "newbies" that were discussed at the beginning of the thread, and until tonight's two-hour season premiere, I had only watched bits and pieces of 24. Like Moff_D said, it was something I just didn't go out of the way to check out.

I can honestly say I hate myself for missing out. GREAT show... Jack Bauer is so cool. I'm staying around for the entire season for sure.