main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania 3rd Annual JC-FF Rugby League footy tipping competition -- Now into the finals!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by wedge3210, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    That's rather childish, not to mention churlish, bull****. You wouldn't be too hard pressed at all to find out if Alfie's father really is in hospital (I don't care myself, but if I was in Alfie's shoes I would be). The Roosters fans are scared ****less because they know that the Broncos are not a one man show like Newcastle. How many games have the Knights won without Joey? I know the Bronco's record with Langer this season has been abysmal, but that's only one season, they did all right without him for three years - Joey's been playing with the Knights for years, and virtually every game they've won has had Joey in the lineup.

2. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    The Knights are something like 3 and 9 (win/loss ratio) over the past two years. It's just a mental thing they have to overcome. They have the players and sure they lose the connections and timing with him out, but they've always relied heavily on the "he'll be back next week" mentality. It has to stop.

A Langerless Broncos would show up the same sort of record with Brisbane and need anyone remind you of your record last year without Tallis? I think you got two of the last 8 games and you lost at home to Canberra.

Anyway, a lot of the Roosters fans live in their own little closed off world. If it doesn't happen to the Roosters, then it's not worth knowing about. If a story doesn't have anything to do with the Roosters, it's not worth reading. If a story is critical of the Roosters, it's worth getting defensive over. If you want to see the worst of rugby league supporters, go to their website and stay for 10 minutes. You just have to laugh.

And this post is in no way against a certain Roosters fan that was in the tipping comp. We had a little chat about the same subject and I know you're not on the Wall. It's just, that place has some real ****ers on it.

Anyway, I still haven't tipped yet. Can't decide either game at all.

3. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    Too true, wedge. Sorry if I was out of line at all. :)

I think you're right though on tipping either game. Both seem way too close to call. I think it'll come down to the psychological factor - Alfie and Joey both seem to have an aura around them which seems to make the opposition roll over and give up.

You're dead right about the comparison between Langer and Johns though. I don't remember the exact figures, but the Sunday Mail ran a story a few weeks back about Brisbane's win/loss record with and with out Alfie, and it was similar to Newcastle with and without Johns.

4. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Well I've decided to just go with the teams that had the week off. It's a tough one, but over the last two years it's worked 3 out of four times. I'll bank on that.

And I'd love to see the Warriors beat the Broncos again this year. :p

5. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

Bronco's v's Sharks in the Granny. :D

Bronco's to win. :(

Parramatta Eels to win next year! :D :D

6. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

Well it looks like I was wrong on both accounts. [face_blush]

Roosters to beat the Warriors in the Granny. :D

7. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Go Warriors!!!

I should've known that at least one Sydney team had to make it. I keep forgetting that they haven't won any since 1996 now, and that was in the form of a Manly side... hardly the most loved team in the game.

I'll go for the Warriors since they're a more exciting team to watch. The Roosters have been extremily lucky with referees of late and Harrigan won't so lenient next weekend without Tallis there to get square on.

Not to say that it's not Tallis' fault that Billy hates him, cause it is.

8. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    Will Harrigan even be reffing the Grand Final? The NRL have a habit of letting him have a couple of games where he makes the most atrocious calls and then penalising him by bumping him to lesser games.

9. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Totally going for the Warriors! It's been a looong time coming but it's here and I can't until Sunday night.

Ah i'm so excited! :D

10. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    There's no-one else lined up to do the referee other than Harrigan. Hampstead was a remote outside chance, but his admission to police corruption last week pretty much ruled him out for good.

Just a week after he refereed the Newcastle game too. How lucky.

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Pitty about the Bronco's. I hope Langer retires, just because Brisbane have to get a team together with the future in mind.

I heard Craig Wing could be a Bronco, but didn't he just re-sign with the Roosters recently? They have Scott Prince and Ben Ikin returning in the halves, but both are pretty suss, coming back from long injuries. I hear Gower wants to leave Penrith... he should take a pay cut and move up North.

But what they SHOULD do is move Lockyer into five eighth. He's a great fullback, but he's involved in the action so much anyway, he'd suit better in the halves.

Anyway, I'm glad the Warriors won though. I think they have a very good chance. Go Ali!

12. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    CRAP!

That is all I have to say on this matter, Bring on the cricket!

13. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    Double crap

good game until wing scored to open the flood gates a bit

good experience for the Warriors

they all played well

North Queensland to make the semi's with Campo next year?

14. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I don't know about that. FNQ is usually where older player go to die. Mind you, I wouldn't mind seeing them make it one year.

I thought it was an alright game. Good bruising defence and some good inspired play. But a lot of dropped ball and poor management. Seems to happen when the Roosters play however.

Anyway, good on everyone that stuck with the comp. It'll be back next year and I agree, "bring on the cricket!!!" Aussies just won the first test against the Pakis in Sri Lanka... from the dead!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.