main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

___ "the Power" is finished!!! ___ (TF.N's favorite son is back!!!)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Grover, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grover

Grover Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    [[[Since our last, loving conversation, I?ve: Driven across country in 43 hours, 21hrs straight the first day, food poisoning during 4 hours of ?sleep,? (in car), tire blew out in Cleveland, and drove with donut to central PA. Trained student to 2nd round KO in N.H.B. match, landed lead role in Odd Couple, pre-production on Short Film and Video at Lloyd Irvin?s, and thrown out of hillbilly bar when antagonizing a modern-day cro-magnon?amongst many other exploits]]]

[[[also noteworthy; I was recently made aware that the film I truthfully critiqued was recently reviewed by ?JediTAC? on TF.N, who SAID NEARLY THE EXACT SAME THINGS I DID!!! Ha, ha. Interesting. I wonder if he got ??beat down?? the way I did? You know, the ?your fists getting punished by their faces? type beat down I received.]]]

Well, friends, I?m back, and now, it?s your turn. HAVE FUN!!!

----------------------------------------

?the Power? is finished!!!!! And you can tear into it!!! (this is not a drill)

----------------------------------------

www.thepowerfanfilm.com

BRIEFLY?

?The Power? was shot in the summer of 1999, in less than 6 hours. Just wait; read that again, to make sure you got it. 1999. 6 hours. Yes.

We planned and choreographed for less than 2 hours. (two, or II)

We actually had to run from patrols on the first day of filming. It was illegal to shoot there.

Ultimately, there were 5 people involved, including my 9 year old brother. That?s it.

This thing was originally only shot as fight seqences to be part of a demo reel, not a coherent story-line or fan film per se, which I hadn?t even heard of at the time.

Fall of 2001, 1 hour of additional filming, to ad to footage and form actual storyline of ?the Power.? It was finished BACK THEN?except for:

Soundtrack, recently supplied by Scarlett Hepworth, from Spokane Civic Theater. Score is O.K., but not what I asked for. Better than nothing, though.

Counting post-production (but NOT counting music) this thing took LESS than the vaunted 72 hours. By far. (guestimate 40-50 hours, MAX)

Budget. NOTHING? except music score.

Production team. Me. And I?m a computer moron.

SO? to all of you on the force.net?s staff, AS WELL AS those of you who actually have budgets, and production teams, and like to pretend it makes no difference as of the final product?
    ?I dedicate ?the Power? to you.

YOUR REVIEWS?

Acceptable: ?It sucked!? or ?It was great!?

Better: ?It sucked, because?? or ?It was great, and here?s why??

Superior: ?It sucked, and here?s what I?d have done?? or ?It was great, it put me in mind of??

Tear into it. Vent. Don't be a diplomat, or a kiss arse.

OH, AND ONE MORE THING?!!!

What follows are two of MY OWN REVIEWS originally written several months ago, when I was accused of being ?harsh.? The first is EXTREMELY POSITIVE, the second is EXTREMELY NEGATIVE. If you thought my original critique was harsh?you had no idea.

PLEASE---DON?T READ THE REVIEWS --IF-- you intend to actually watch ?the Power? from my site. I DON?T WANT YOUR REACTIONS AND REVIEWS INFLUENCED BY WHAT I WROTE!

If you?re a ?lover/gusher,? read the first review, you?ll agree with every bit of it. Then skip the second, it?ll not support your delusions and world views. DO NOT READ IT, LEST YOU ENJOY ANGER!

2. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    THE ?NICE? REVIEW?

As Steven Spielburg said referring to STAR WARS, ?I?ve never been as kinetically thrilled about watching a world that somebody had created that I wanted to exist in forever.?

With the advent of Star Wars ?Fan Films,? moviemakers and fans from all over the world get to do just that: live, breath, and play in the STAR WARS universe? and the rest of us are lucky enough to partake in the fantasy as well!!!

And once the official saga ends in 2005, we?ll all have some place where it lives on---in Fan Films!

Well, I?ve watched all of the awesome and inspiring fan films at the honcho website for fan films, ?theforce.net.? This site is a MUST for anyone in ANY WAY interested in watching, studying, or even making their own fan film. There is some real talent on this site, and from hosting, to backstories, to tutorials, you can get it all here! Wanting more, I?ve started looking for fan films outside the view of TF.N.

I?ve recently run across a new Fan Film, this one called ?the Power.?

I must admit that ever since I saw the TRAILER, I was like everyone else I knew who watched it; I loved it, and eagerly awaited the full FEATURE! It was certainly one of the best TRAILERS to come around in a while.

And now, I?ve finally gotten to watch this thing!!!

Concerning the ?the Power? FULL FEATURE:

One immediately notices the uniqueness of this Fan Film. The film itself was apparently shot in one weekend, over 3 years ago, in 1999! This is true guerilla filmmaking, relying on skill, passion, and creativity to bring SW to life.

Also noteworthy, the unique washed-out, sepia look to the film, putting one in mind of the OT, and the interesting use of the camera and minimalist approach to dialogue.

In the EPILOGUE scene, we witness a young padowan deep in meditation. Two Jedi Knights leave, and we have the feeling it has something to do with an ominous looking (and sounding) box. (What was the title of this thing again?)

While the production value is intentionally low, this is deceptive, as it enhances the overall work; The direction and camera angles are beautiful and truly WORK; we also see some very interesting cinematography; the exagerated use of front and backlighting amplifies the mood and overall setting. Even the Jedi, these ?beings of light? as they come down the steps, and the young padowan, in darkness, seems to foreshadow events to come?or does it?

When we see the BOX, it is in a dark, dank, lair of evil that makes Palpatine?s Imperial Throne Room feel like Martha Stewart?s hidaway cottage. And again, we are introduced this footage with suave camera work and potent use of lighting.

There are two TITLE versions, one that self-mocks the production (the larger file version) and another that has pseudo-subliminal sith-oriented words laced within the main title (small file version).

What follows are introductory collage shots of the SITH LORD?S tunnel, almost remenicient of a Yavin Temple. Here we see the super-creepy, ultra-imposing SITH has possession of a BOX similar to the hologram back at the padowan?s meditation room. As the SITH opens the box, power comes forth? This is who the Jedi must defeat. And the villian/antagonist is set nicely.

Next we see the 3 JEDI? the 2 Knights from before, accompanied by a JEDI MASTER. The intriguing use of the camera tells us?this mission is of paramount importance to the Jedi Master? and the slow zoom to CU makes us wonder??

But then, we see the PADOWAN, blatently walking along the road toward the evil temple/tunnel? So what is going on here?

WHAT FOLLOWS is some of the VERY BEST LIGHTSABER FIGHTING I?ve seen this side of Maul vs Kenobi?(most Fan Films have top-notch lightsaber combat that electrify the screen!) Along with SOLID to VERY GOOD ACTING all the way through, excellent CASTING, a nifty PLOT that one can CARE ABOUT and an original SOUNDTRACK that augments what we see on screen and amplifies the emotions? this thing is real entertainm

3. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    [this article was originally typed several months ago, around the same time as my other, lovingly received post]

THE ?NOT-SO-NICE? REVIEW:

(LAST WARNING!!: ?lovers/gushers? advised against reading this)

?the Power? review?

Mr Truthful gives it a rating of: ?what a mess?

This film should have stayed as mere footage for a demo reel.

KEY:

Clean flush= ?not too bad, not a total waste of time?

plop= ?if you?re a depressive?see this?

splat= ?what absolute idiot exec funded this insulting, worthless garbage??

colon blow= ?I am enraged for having sat through this concentrated slime of idiocy and patheticness, and am convinced there is no hope for humanity.?

what a mess= ?this film is so godawlful it caused a tear in the very fabric of space-time itself.?

THE REVIEW:

For godsakes, another fan film!? Don?t these nerds have anything better to do with their lives? Alright, let me back up a little.

To any normal human beings left on Earth, let me fill you in: to those of you who live in REALITY, there are legions of ?filmmakers? (and I use that term VERY LIBERALLY) out there who have the infantile need to play ?luke skywalker? by running around spouting off cheesy, run-on dialogue and tapping broomsticks together---then tape it?throwing in some special effects (which haven?t been ?special? in 20 years)? and call these abominations ?FILMS!? (Or more specifically, ?Fan Films.?)

Well, recently, I lost a bet and was forced to watch a Fan Film, so I somehow ended up watching this really sad, pretentious piece of crap called ?the Power.? (I was optimistic when I realized this wasn?t a part of the homogenized mediocrity praised at that ?good ol? boys? website, theforce.net!)

First, I eased into the misery by watching the TRAILER? Funny, I later found out it looked VERY MUCH like several other fan film TRAILERS released about the same time? O.K. fellas, who ?borrowed? from who?

Well first of all, the maker of this piece of junk harps on and on AND ON about the difficulties of making the film, taped in 20 minutes, running from the nazis, ?gorilla? filmmaking, Dogmeat 69 and so on and so on?WELL GUESS WHAT BUDDY? NO ONE CARES!!! We?re here to watch a movie, not listen to your excuses! When one watches a movie, one is watching an ABSOLUTE VALUE? we don?t care about anything but what we?re seeing on screen! I don?t care that Jennifer ?co-dependent? Lopez has a maximum gluteus maximus, or Coster?s set was washed away? THAT MEANS NOTHING TO ME!!! I?m here to see the finished product, and that?s ALL THAT MATTERS! (if you?re having trouble sleeping check out that website?bunch of lies and nonsense, but it?ll put you to sleep!)

Production troubles, phooey! Maybe if you?re entering this into some film festival, it would be different? But you?re NOT! You?re putting it on the internet for all to see! (p.s. can you imagine the arrogance it would take to actually enter a star wars fanfilm into a film festival? boy, that?s creativity, for you! Have they no shame?!? I have an idea for an innovative t.v. drama?it?s called THE NEWS!)

Anyhoo, I?m watching this crappy, black-and-whitish garbage?and it?s clear from the get-go that this thing is somehow supposed to be ?artsy.? (heck, even the intentionally misaligned website calls it that!) I guess putting it in sepia automatically means it?s ?deep? or something. (then again, a mudpuddle is ?deep? to a snail) Also, there are TOO MANY ?fade to blacks,? obviously to make up for uneditable garbage. He seems to be one of these filmmakers who thinks that ripping off shots from Mann or Coppola or Scorsese somehow means he?s ?film-savy? and knows what makes good storytelling. (of course, everyone knows Goerge Lucas basically ripped off Kurosawa in making the OT, so who can blame him?)

Also, this thing almost seems proud not to rely on special effects? WELL HEY, CHAP? isn?t this a STAR WARS fan film?!? Aren?t we

4. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    It's so flattering when people wanna be just like me. ;)

JediTAC
    TFN's Self-Certified Quasi Official FanFilm Reviewer :D

5. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    If Grover is TFN's favorite son why dont I remember him?

6. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    It was interesting in its use of filters. I thought the filtered idea made it very styalised especially with the creapy music. The choreography was also quite good, I enjoyed watching it

Conversely the 'hero theme' music was quite pathetic as was your little kid actor... just too predictable. Also while I earlierly stated that the choreography was good the technique was not up to par. Sometimes the guy would get done throwing and have to wait for the target to jump onto the ground.

All in all it was a good watch, worth seeing but did have its faults.

7. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Does the framerate speed up?

Because I can't watch it as it is at the beginning, and the opening crawl doesn't look any better.

Or maybe it's that the compression wasn't good enough.

Just, I'd like to know, is the frame rate supposed to be so annoyingly jumpy?

8. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    "...some of my best friends are gay!"

More than we need to know, buddy. Seems like he was venting against fanfilms in general, perhaps only seeing some of the worst and stereotyping the rest. You see, that's what you get when a Trekkie does a review. *Hears far off cry of "Trekker!* Don't care, I'll still call ya Trekkie. Aaaaaaanyway... I get the feeling he was on something and had a really slow modem, so all he sees are badly compressed films (I haven't seen "The Power" yet, so it's excluded- I don't know aht it's compression is like or anything). I mean, there are some really good ones out there, some even beter than AotC. *Thinks on what he's saying* Okay, so most are better than AotC, but that's besides the point...

Note to who did that review: go stick your hindquarters in a hat and wear it. Your charisma will jump.

9. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    needed more lightsaber action, rather than a guy that keeps dodging a saber.

10. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    One would think a "favorite son" would know by now that starting topics with ____ is somewhat asinine.

Just a thought.

11. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    So, let me get this straight. You made a film, then reviewed it, then reviewed it again? With opposite reviews?

Were these supposed to be examples?

I don't understand.

12. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Maybe the favorite son has multiple personalities. Both being long-winded and self-serving, BUT, two nonetheless.

13. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Like I said, he wants to be just like ME. :D

14. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Just after the first fight scene this error came to visit: "The given data unit is corrupted, badly formatted, or otherwise not valid."

so. maybe I'll try again some other time.

15. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Oh, its everyone's favorite buddy. What happened to your classification of everyone here on the boards?

Ill definitely download this.

EDIT: Just a BTW, it's "guerilla filmmaking". Gorilla filmmaking would imply a primate with an XL1 or something ;).

~Neszis~

16. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Here's a review for ya:

Whoa! After seeing what you've made using what little you had, I can say I have seen true talent. The only thing I would've changed about this film was the Wing Commander-ish music in parts. The other music was fine, especially the young boy's theme.

And for my arena: THE CHOREOGRAPHY! MY DEAR SOUL! THE CHOREOGRAPHY!!! It was astounding. Not only was it good to see Aikido (the original defense against sword) in action, but someone who obviously knows how to use it! One question: was the actor portraying the Sith trained in the use of kamas?

The goal remained unclear, but you were able to keep my attention throughout the entire film. Okay, maybe the title sequence was a bit drawn out. But with the rotoscoping, and overall, simply amazing!

In short, I'm watching it again!

17. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I liked it. Nice to see someone on here with an original idea.

18. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    I liked it. Nice to see someone on here with an original idea.

Meaning ??? :confused:

19. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    Thanks for all feedback thus far...!!!

WhisperingDeath

--Thanks! Yes, the look/style was important.

"Conversely the 'hero theme' music was quite pathetic "

--I agree...I'm very upset with the soundtrack. Apparently, the people who made it, didn't bother watching any SW films...the main theme bothers me the most...the rest is adequate...

"as was your little kid actor... "

--That's because ALL SCENES WITH THE BOY were shot in a total of 1 hour!!! Also, instead of trying to get him to characterize, I did some Lucas-like directing; "turn here, look there." (kids are NOT fun to direct, especially when you HAVE NO TIME)

"just too predictable."

--interesting; however, in some ways, it was almost intentionally so! (really, EVERYTHING in the film predicts the theme and outcome)

"the technique was not up to par. Sometimes the guy would get done throwing and have to wait for the target to jump onto the ground."

--I'm not quite sure what this means; please elaborate.

EagleIFilms

mpfjr

Which size/file did you try to download? I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem?

DarthArjuna

"Seems like he was venting against fanfilms in general, perhaps only seeing some of the worst and stereotyping the rest."

--First, BOTH REVIEWS are exagerations in each extreme... How comes you didn't say anything about the ridiculously positive review? (Lucas: "Delusions of Grandeur?")

--Also, if I am making fun of fanfilms, that includes my own!! Take a breath, read the Gita, and relax...

"Trekkie"

--Yes, I'm a nerd, squared. (how'd you know?!?)

--Oh...and I've seen all the (supposed) best. Duality, Knightsquest, BA, AQOF, many others. Usually appreciate certain parts of each. But to listen to some of you on these boards talk...

"darth_kohai

"I don't understand."

--It was done for several reasons. You should download the flick. It has the good ol' self-referencial paradox...you know, like your sig.

Neszis

"Oh, its everyone's favorite buddy. What happened to your classification of everyone here on the boards?"

--Ha, ha, you remember!!! Actually, I never finished it, and am WAY TOO BUSY!!! (it was similar to actual personality profiles, though; positive and negative aspects of core personas...so it wasn't just some 'mean post' as some were ranting it would be.)

"Just a BTW, it's "guerilla filmmaking"."

--actually, I've seen it both ways, and I figured "gorilla" was more fitting considering the production value!

"primate (simian, actually) with an XL1 or something "

--yes, that was me.

Master_Comyn

--thanks for the feedback!

"After seeing what you've made using what little you had, I can say I have seen true talent."

--Thanks!!! I don't think many here get that little point, OR, don't want to. Especially since many of them are part of the "production team" type fan films. (not that there's anything wrong with that...but it DOES make a HUGE difference!!!)

--No disrespect to anyone else, but it's good to have a martial artist's view on the choreography...especially considering some of the praise (obviously given by what has to be non-martial artists) given to some of the VERY sub-standard fight scenes I've seen in MANY fan films.

"maybe the title sequence was a bit drawn out"

--I agree. It is WAY too drawn out. Long story, but has to do with MUSIC SCORE, etc. I'm too lazy/busy to change it now.

"was the actor portraying the Sith trained in the use of kamas? "

--actually, I'm the Sith. No, but I used to train alot in Kali/Arnis, thus, it was more kali-stick movements, which until Obi-Wan's AOTC bar room slice, was unseen in any SW film (or fan film, I believe).

foxbatkllr

--Thanks!!! (i thought so too!!!)

Nathan PTH

"being long-winded "

--I'd elaborate on that, but...

p.s. JediTAC...when the h**l are you going to tear into this thing?!?

20. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Meaning ???

It was a completely different style, and it focused more on the story than lightsabers and special effects. Also I liked the cool filter and the grim cinematography. It was almost like a video game cutscene, but in a good way.

21. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    "I liked it. Nice to see someone on here with an original idea.
    Meaning ??? "

I'd say foxbatkllr's comment was pretty self-explanatory...

-Kol

22. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, I guess it could have been interpreted in different ways.

One of the ways being - "None of the films I have seen on TFN have been original"

I guess "original" is subject to interpretation. MANY of the FanFilms I have seen have been, what I consider to be, "original" in terms of story and characters. Sure, most of them have lightsaber duels and such . . . but as so many of you point out, that's one of the most popular aspects of Star Wars and making Star Wars FanFilms.

I mean, if we were going to argue on the word "original," I could easily argue that the fact that "The Power" had Jedi's in brown robes and a Sith with a martial arts uniform and dual lightsabers makes it not so much an "original" idea (since I've seen it before). However, the way they tell their story makes it original - just as many of the other FanFilms which have been showcased on TFN.

So, you see . . . I was simply curious as to what he meant by his use of the word "original."

23. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Stop flaming people TAC!

8-}

24. Grover

Jun 3, 2002
    foxbatkllr

"It was a completely different style, and it focused more on the story than lightsabers and special effects. Also I liked the cool filter and the grim cinematography."

--Thank you!!! (glad to see some are noticing/acknowledging this!)

JediTAC

"the fact that "The Power" had Jedi's in brown robes and a Sith with a martial arts uniform and dual lightsabers makes it not so much an "original" idea (since I've seen it before)."

--That would be true...EXCEPT:

FIRST: Remember, the Power was shot in 1999... I DON'T KNOW OF TOO MANY (IF ANY) FAN FILMS that used dual sabers back then. (and those that still do, DON'T USE A SPECIFIC STYLE OR SET OF TECHNIQUES WITH THOSE 2 SABERS; THEY JUST DO BASIC MOVEMENTS WITH THEM)

SECOND: How many fan films have 1 villian who can take out 3 enemies? Any of them?

THIRD: How many fan films have used ARMED VERSUS UNARMED combat? (Again, not just a technique or two, not just basic, sloppy, 'common sense' stuff, but actual, specific techniques?) (oh, and it's not just "a guy that keeps dodging a saber")

FOURTH: We used: kendo, kali, Aikido (as Master_Comyn mentioned), Sambo, wrestling, western fencing, and muay thai... Have ANY fan films to date used half of those styles?

It's kindof funny. For some time, I've read all sorts of astounding praise for the most unbelievably mediocre combat on MANY of the fanfilms around here... With the exception of a few of the replies to 'the Power's' fight scenes...well...not to be too asinine (me?), but I hope this isn't a case of "pearls to the swine."

25. SamS

SamS Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    First, I don't think your film warranted the self-deprecating scroll you gave it. I tire of Conan O'brian's constant hack on himself (yet I still watch his show), and your tirade against your own movie doesn't make me feel good about watching it...but that's just me.

In a lot of ways, "The Power" plays out like some incoherent dream, part nightmare, part vision. Who are these people, and what are they doing? And why am I here? The sepia tone of the film lends itself to an art film kind of feel, and cushions what what have been another unsteady-handheld-camera fan film.

In a lot of ways, this is a typical formula fan film as there are wandering Jedi about and an equally wandering Sith Lord about, who cross paths and then fight each other with lightsabers and finally, the Sith Lord is vanquished. Interestingly, the sith does not use a saber at all times, which makes for a more dynamic duel; it shows his power.

As for Marcellus Wallace's box, that was interesting and strange, lending itself to the nightmarish feel of the film. What is it and why does it revive the Sith and the Fallen Jedi/Padawans/lightsaber-dudes. An the little boy; I still don't understand his role in the whole affair other than a plot device to bring back the Jedi.

The movie almost deserves high praise because of it's different approach. Sepia tone, very little dialog and the bizarre editing. It's very much an art film. What knocks it down several notches is the flippant scroll, presenting itself almost as a comedy. A scroll wasn't needed, or a different narrative written. The movie as a whole stands on it's own as, like I said, a disturbing dream where uncertainy and mortality crackles in the air like cool wind during a bad storm.

Grover, the web site is hard to navigate and really, even if it was intentional, it can still put off viewers who want to get the content right away. A little effort could make many a clickers appreciate your movie more. Just because you delibrately decide to go against the norm doesn't mean it's going to be a good idea. I just might be even more disruptive.

That's the way I feel about the opening scroll. It steals the viewer from making his own decision about the movie, and you say tear into it and give good comments, but how can you expect an honest answer when you've already altered their perception of the movie? Some are very intelligent and won't let the self-defamation bother them, even if it is tongue in cheek (and I'm not saying I'm extremely intelligent).

You have potential to do some cool stuff. The Power was a great effort with little material. The different approach does nothing for the website, but does make the film a stand-out.

But that's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.