main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

_______ of the Game!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    This is rooted in all the various "player of the game" or "play of the game" awards given out, that are usually given before the game is finished. Seriously, in close games why does this always have to be decided before the game is finished? What if someone else makes a spectacular play to turn the result around?

But I was flipping channels a few minutes ago, and topped that, easily: In the Mets-Marlins game today, the Marlins hit a double in the bottom of the first, and it was immediately labeled the "[insert sponsor name here] Double of the Game". The FIRST. INNING. What. The. Heck.

Why do stations insist on stuff like this?

EDIT: sometimes having HTML powers gets in the way when you're not trying to use them :p

2. tulakhordpwns

tulakhordpwns Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2007
    Because sponsors give them money.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, but they could still do them at the END of the game, people would still see them, they would still get the money. And they wouldn't be making themselves look like idiots quite so much.

4. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I think you see a lot more of this now because of Tivo and DVR devices.

Product placement is much more noticeable now, at least to me. Every type of programming from scripted, reality, and even sports, have to get their sponsors in before the commercials.

And yes, it does sound so stupid..."Now the Right Guard sweaty armpit Coaching move of the fourth inning, with two strikes, and 2 balls, but before the third base coach scratches himself for the fourth time...move of the game!!!!" :p

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The only one that makes sense to me is the AT&T Call to the Bullpen, for the first reliever brought in.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    But that applies to anytime a reliever is brought in, and it isn't touting a player or play being the best in the game before its over. Theres no problem with the call to the bullpen, or something like the Old Spice Red Zone report, or things like that. But to label a hit the Double of the Game in the first inning? Thats just stupid.

7. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Hey, for Brewers games we get the first Menards Game Reset usually before the third inning. Even if it a 0-0 game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.