main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Better Continuity Between Prequels and the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Kyris Cavisek, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    It is an origin story of Anakin, we have to show where he came from, however it would make more sense if Anakin were older and developed some sort of connection to Obi Wan in EP 1

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Why would it be necessary for Anakin to be older? I never understood that argument.

And for me, the lack of any friendly development between Anakin and Obi-Wan in TPM is a good springboard to their eventual estrangement . . . at least for me.

Ezon Pin and Valiowk like this.
  3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    OK... it would tie together Yoda's rejection of Anakin and later of Luke.
    Second... look at the cast, Mace no change, Padme no change, Obi Wan grows a beard. Everyone stays the same age. Anakin has such a growth spurt that causes him to have to change actors within one movie. I get it, time has passed. But if they were closer and not even friends in TPM it doesn't matter. It would allow for the films to move along at a good pace as opposed to spanning around 15 years in the galactic history as opposed to 5-10

4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    If Anakin were older his character arc wouldn't work. The seeds of his fall are in him abandoning his mother at a young age. People who leave their mother in their teens just don't become as emotionally scarred from that as younger people do.

Ezon Pin and Valiowk like this.
  5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    You have a valid point... I don't have an answer to that.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Why is that necessary? I think the Order's initial rejection of Anakin - based upon their fear of him as an unknown quality - is more interesting to me, and a good example of the Jedi's stagnation and fear of change.

Can you be more specific? What exactly are you trying to say?

The time span between TPM and ROTS is 13 years. And honestly, I don't see how shortening the time span is supposed to be an improvement on the story.

7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012

Padme goes from being 14 to being close to 20, but Portman plays the exact same character. She doesnt look any different she is just a senator now. All Obi Wan does is cut off his padawan braid and grows a beard.But they bring in a whole new character for Anakin...? If they would have used a 14-16 year old in TPM as opposed to a 10 year old. The time span can be shortened so that not so much change in other actors and you could have one Anakin through the entire Prequel Trilogy, not little Anni and Anakin Skywalker

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Padme is ageless. Some people do not age as fast as other people.

9. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Brilliant, apparently the water they drink on Naboo holds peoples age in stasis at the age of 20 ish...

10. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't understand this perception that Natalie Portman didn't look as if she had aged in the three films. It feels as if this is some new criticism that has popped up to make an argument for the "inferiority" of the PT. Portman more or less looked the same between AOTC and ROTS to me. But that isn't a problem. Only three years had passed and her character was not that heavily involved in combat. But she certainly looked as if she had aged between TPM and AOTC. At least in my eyes.

Bad_Feeling likes this.
  11. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Grevious, to me, was the lamest of the 3 sith villains, despite the fact that Maul was so under-used. I honestly think the visual or thematic link made to Vader with this character is pointless...there was no need for such a thing, and I don't think he adds anything to Episode 3. They should have just continued to use Dooku through to the end and have Anakin's turn be centered around that perhaps.

But that being said, I think Grevious could be dropped entirely from the story and it wouldn't really matter.

12. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    Also, as for Anakin's age. Yeah, he should have been older because:

1- Being a pilot at such a young age was ridiculous.
    2- Racing at 1000mph at such a young age was ridiculous.
    3- Accidentally blowing up the mothership at such a young age was extremely ridiculous.

I think it would have been easy to say his mother abandoned him at a young age as part of his backstory, without having to actually show it. You can always do flashbacks or dreams for that if you absolutely have to shove it in the viewers face. But the way TPM played out, Anakin's age was just a little too young. I would have even accepted 12 or 13 if done well.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  13. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Grievous wasn't a Sith.

And there were four Sith villains, not three.

14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Young Vader doesn't really count.

15. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    Well he was a Sith, and he was a villain. So yes, he does count.

16. TheFoot

Dec 5, 2011
    Okay so, don't count him as a sith. I'm using the term as loosely as the movies did. Sith = evil guy with lightsaber. (no other explanation needed, right?)

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    It is crazy, see the Sith are cult of FORCE Users. Han reaches for Luke's saber. If he would have cut down the het as opposed to R2 in RotJ, would that make him a Jedi cause he is a good guy with a lightsaber?

18. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    Well no, at no point during the films does it say or show that any evil guy who wields a lightsaber is automatically a Sith.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    A wise man knows when you are out numbered out gunned and in the wrong...

20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Technically true. But he's in a special category because he's also a protagonist.

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Whether we count Vader or not... Grevious was not Sith... Can we all agree on that

22. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Sure.

23. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Grevious was not a specific apprentice of Sidious in the Darth Bane's rule of two, but Grevious was trained how to swing a lightsaber by Count Dooku. By the specific definition of the word "Sith," it refers just to the master and the apprentice: which was Sidious, Maul, then Dooku, and then Vader. But in a more general misconception of the word "Sith" it can be regard as the Star Wars word for the bad guys. I know Grevious was not a sith but Grevious was kind of like a sith. You do not have to be a sith to be a so-called "Sith." Grevious was a sith in the sense that he could use a lightsaber.

1. Being a sith means using the dark side of the force. So, Grevious didn't do this.

2. Being a sith kind of means you try to kill the jedi, which Grevious did do.

3. Being a sith kind of means being able to fight with a lightsaber, which Grevious did.

4. Being a sith, at that period of history, means being a master or an apprentice, which Grevious was not.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Just like Captain Typho, Han Solo, and Ben Kenobi, three of the more prominent Sith of the film era.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Everyone knows that EP 7 will feature Captain Typho as the REAL sith lord...