main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Fateful Bond: The Anakin/Obi-Wan Brotherhood Fan Thread V 2.0

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Alley_Skywalker, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    =D= Set to the tune of Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire? [face_laugh]

2. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Hey guys!
    A happy belated Thanksgiving to you all :)

3. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    and a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...ahah.

4. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Hi. Just checking in to see if anything is new, and to up this thread so someone who asked about it in another thread can find it.

5. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Hi, Deb! Nothing much is new. this is my first year at uni so RL has been rather insane. I've also fandom-jumped into a variety of small Russian Classic Lit fandoms and to a smaller degree -- Harry Potter.

How is life treating you?

6. katie9918

katie9918 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 28, 2002
    So I've been watching a few episodes of The Clone Wars and I like that Ani/Obi relationship a lot better than in AotC. For one thing, Anakin seems to treat Obi-Wan with a lot more respect even when he is teasing and Obi-Wan seems a lot more relaxed. Which is odd, considering they're actually fighting a war rather than unknowingly hurtling towards one.

Episode III treated the Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship a lot better than Episode II did. If only Anakin hadn't let Palp stroke his ego so much, there was a chance Obi-Wan could have gotten through to him.

Then again, with lie on top of lie that Anakin was spouting the whole time about Padme, I guess it's no wonder Obi-Wan seemed to trust Anakin a lot more than Anakin trusted Obi-Wan.

Poor Anakin. Couldn't see what was right in front of him.

Poor Obi-Wan. He did everything for that kid and watched everything he knew and loved go up in smoke for it.

A true tragedy, the biggest in the SW universe.

7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Isn't it sad that it took TCW to flesh out the good relationship that Obi-Wan referred to in ANH? Anakin was a train wreck hurtling off the tracks already in the movies; in TCW, we see the tragedy not the imminent implosion.

8. katie9918

May 28, 2002
    Yeah, and I only just started watching TCW.

The few nice scenes we got for the Brotherhood in Episode III helped to assuage the wounds inflicted by Episode II's whiny ass teenager who was being played like he'd already fallen to the Dark Side and the clueless buffoon with the stick up his hind quarters. Both characters deserved better treatment, especially Obi-Wan. Now that the basic saga is complete, he beats out Luke in the sucks-to-be-you department.

Honestly, I don't understand how Anakin ever got knighted, because even with guidance to the contrary, he just kept doing the wrong thing over and over and over again. In Episode II, he did his best to alienate the one person who was always on his side just because said person had to be the disciplinarian. Anakin's whining about Obi-Wan holding him back? Maybe if your hot-**** superior ass learned a little self-restraint, your Master wouldn't have to be treating you like a five-year-old.

Ugh. I'm so glad that CW is more like the soothing balm-filled scenes in Ep III.

But I prefer the version of Anakin I've come up.

I'm Team Obi/Ani, but if I have to choose, it's Team Obi all the way. I wonder if there was EVER a time in his life when he wasn't responsible in part for cleaning up someone else's messes.

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, if you accept JA as canon, he had to clean up the Melida/Daan mess and the following repercussions.

In fact, one gets the sense that his "cleaning up" is part of his attempt to be the straight arrow, perfect Jedi because he's so aware of how he messed up.

Though keep in mind I don't think he so much messed up as didn't get some guidance from Qui-Gon and made some choices that might not have been wise, but were from the goodness of his heart.

Ignoring pulling his saber on Qui for the moment, Jedi are supposed to help those they can. Obi-Wan saw a need and acted - he "acted on his instincts" as Qui-Gon told him to do.

Qui-Gon's instincts were the opposite - to save Tahl and abandon the mission.

Too bad they didn't recognize the divergent paths they were on beforehand so they could discuss the whys and wherefores and when a padawan accepts his master's judgment even if be wrong.

10. katie9918

May 28, 2002
    I do accept JA in my own personal canon and I actually don't count M/D as someone else's mess. True, Qui should have provided a little more guidance to Obi, but Obi got himself into that mess and he should have fallen in line when his Master told him they were going home.

Qui should have dragged him kicking and screaming back to the Temple.

Of course, some of it could have been avoided had Qui sat Obi down when he realized he was running around with those kids and reminded him, "We're here to retrieve Knight Tahl, nothing else." By the time he realized what was going on, it was too late.

Obi was similarly clueless when it came to Palpatine being able to play Anakin like a violin by stroking his already Texas-sized ego.

11. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    Hey,nice to see this thread see some action again.my birthday is next monday,and my wish is that TCW season 2 gets shown here already. I already feel I'm missing a lot of Obi\Ani action just by reading your posts.what happened to Ahsoka? Did she get reassigned to other jedi?

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    That's a big "don't know." Ahsoka was not in the Satine trilogy is all I can say. Didn't miss her, either, loved the Obi-Satine and Obi-Ani banter.

13. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    Can't say I miss her,but I was curious why there was no mention of her during the past few days I've read your posts here and in the Obiwan thread.so I assumed she was assigned to other jedi master.by the way,I have a question,if Anakin was as powerful as they think he is(and as he think he is),why did he not sense the manipulative maneuvers of Palpatine? Anakin had always been touchy about his having been a slave,so why did he allow himself to be slave to Palpatine? Ok,his obsession with Padme is a factor for going to the dark side.what else.and Jacen? What caused his downfall?

14. katie9918

May 28, 2002
    I think that's another question that can be answered by that answer for all the dumb stuff, "The dark side clouds everything." One thing Palpatine had in his favor was his patience.

Anakin didn't see it because he didn't want to see it. He's by no means alone in having that particular weakness. Obi-Wan didn't see how much danger Anakin was in (from himself) because he didn't want to see it. The Jedi Council started suspecting Palpatine far too late in the game because they didn't want to see how much the dark side had clouded everything, especially their own judgment. Padme didn't see how much Anakin was changing until she was slapped in the face with it because she didn't want to see it.

Of course, that doesn't mean that all those atrocities can't be placed squarely at Anakin/Vader's feet. He made the choices, no one else did.

15. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    Nicely said,katie.impressive...most impressive.what you said is mostly true.it was Anakin's decision after all.

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    It's officially official that TCW timeline jumps around so no Ahsoka only means no Ahsoka in some episodes, just like no Obi-Wan in some episodes.

As to Anakin - get real! ;) Palpy was feeding him all this crap that Anakin wanted to hear - how he was so special, so powerful, so talented, so overlooked...

The Jedi weren't feeding his ego, and most likely because Palps was, their lack of "food" was seen as "starving him."

I still say the Jedi Order was the custodia parent left to clean up the mess and enforce discipline and hard work while Palps, the non-custodial parent, gave the kid sugar and candy and gifts and whooie a holiday while subtly undermining the custodial parent.

Remember Anakin was a child for much of this - homesick, thrust into a strange culture, a bit lost and yet full enough of bravado that he probably didn't admit to his anxieties.

Palps gave him emotional mind candy.

Unfortunately for all, Anakin is a do-er not thinker and he never questioned why Palps was so kind and considerate.

Besides, all this "your master probably thinks" type stuff probably went well over his head, but it does plant doubts with repetition and time.

17. katie9918

May 28, 2002
    I haven't yet seen a CW with Ahsoka yet, so my only exposure to her as a character has been in Karen Miller's "Wild Space" and the new "Gambit: Stealth," which I wish someone had mentioned was a bit of a cliffhanger before I went out and got it this quickly. Providing Miller has her down right, I think I'll like her if I ever get to see her. Miller gives a lot of depth to the Palps/Anakin dynamic and how it just feeds off the Obi-Wan/Anakin dynamic. Of course, the reader can't help but shake their heads as Anakin just keeps walking into Palps' manipulations, just like he did in RotS.

Of course, Obi-Wan's biggest problem is that he's always trusted Anakin a little too much.

18. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    Finally!!! I will get to see season 2 of TCW. Cartoon Network will finally air TCW season 2 here in Manila.it starts on March 16.Thank the Maker.

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    That's great - it started a bit uneven if I remember correctly, but there's been plenty of great episodes as well so enjoy.

20. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    A question: the TCW that will be shown here is called Decoded.ever heard of it? Is it relevant,or the actual season 2?

21. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
    Hi everyone :) I haven't been around here in a really really long time....lol, hardly recognised the thread, looks like I'm not the only one who's not around. But we've got new people, which is always good, I suppose :)

So, yea...just had a nastalgic urge to drop in and see what was going on.....

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey, Alley - HI! <waves> Are you ever going to finish your WIP? Have you been watching TCW?

23. Serra_Tachi

Serra_Tachi Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2007
    BUMP!

I'm watching ROTS now. The Anakin/Obi-Wan team always makes me smile...and when they fight it always makes me sad. I swore to myself that I would never watch TCW but I gave in and now I absolutely love it.! I'm loving the Obi-Wan/Anakin banter...and I'm sad that we never got to see more of that in AOTC. uugh.

Anyway, just saying HI!

*POOF!*

24. roguegirl

Aug 29, 2001
    I've been reading Karen Miller's book Clone Wars Gambit:Stealth,and I've notice a couple of Anakin's quotes that I find somewhat ironic.1)Even a smart man trust the wrong man(boy,did he ever!)2)I will never be a slave again.(how's that again? Anakin became a slave to Palpatine,right?)

here's somthing else: Obiwan:(to Anakin)Be careful of your friend Palpatine.(He's no friend,Obi.A friend would not call you 'my servant'.)

25. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    As a Luke fan, I have a special interest in the Obi/Ani team. See, Luke takes after his father and first mentor far more than he does Yoda. He's like an amalgalmation of the best parts of Anakin and Obi-Wan, with a little Yoda thrown in for good measure.

It's great seeing Obi-Wan and Anakin together, because you can see where Luke's traits come from: the ones he inherited from his father, and the ones he picked up on from Obi-Wan.

Sign me up for this one, baby! ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.