main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Long Time Ago, But Not so Far Away (Qui, Obi JA)--Ch. 7- Why is it Always Obi-Wan Who Get's Hurt?!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Bastet, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Title: A Long Time Ago, But Not so Far Away
    Author: Bastet
    Timeframe: JA, Obi is 13
    Characters: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan
    Genre: Adventure, action, h/c, mush
    Summary: Qui and Obi crash on a planet the reader might find familiar. A fight for survival ensues, while doom from an unexpected source looms ever closer.
    Disclaimer: I own nothing, everything and everyone belongs to George Lucas and company.
    Notes: So...I guess this should be considered an AU, since the Galaxy isn?t so far away anymore.

I know this prologue is a bit unusual, but if you bear with me, I promise it will all make sense by the end of the story. (Or at least I?m hoping it will... [face_worried])

============================================
    Prologue

Excerpt from the notes of Doctor Henry Tatum, geology professor at Central Community College, 1973:

There are only a handful of people who know about the track-way. A very small handful. And that?s how it?s going to stay. I?ve locked up all the photographs and casts, as well as the map to its location, and only I know where the key is. If word of this ever got out...

But let me start at the beginning. About six months ago, a friend of mine named Jacob Hansen mentioned a track-way he and his small class of bird watchers stumbled across on one of their fieldtrips. They had been following a bird call down into a remote rocky area off of a highway somewhere in central New Mexico. I don?t think any of them truly realized what they had been looking at, which I now consider very fortunate. But I?m getting ahead of myself. Jacob only told me that they saw very large three-toed footprints fossilized in the rock, obviously of the dinosaur variety, even to his untrained eye, he said, so he drew me a map so I could have a look for myself.

I have to admit it took me almost four months to make it out there, as I was quite busy with school at the time. But once summer arrived, I finally managed the time to head out there, a journey of some three hours southeast from the college. It was a good thing it wasn?t all that far, because Jacob?s map had me running around for a good two hours more before I finally found the track-way. And then what I saw, well, stopped me in my tracks, if I may be forgiven the expression.

The footprints were beautiful! They covered an area about six feet wide by twenty feet long, and I could easily make out that there were at least five distinct sets of prints, all from the same species: likely a hadrosaur of some kind, since the back feet were quite a bit larger than the front feet. If I had to venture a guess I would say they were of Parasaurolophus or Lambeosaurus, since those were common in late Cretaceous New Mexico. The track-way was a fossilized stream-bed, nearby ripple patterns indicating that the prints had been made in the soft mud along the shore.

But while I was walking along, gloating over this incredibly beautiful find, I noticed something else. Two more sets of footprints, walking right alongside the others. They were much smaller, though of two different distinct sizes themselves. At first I was able to dismiss them as just my imagination that they looked like human footprints, perhaps a trick weathering of the rock, as many claim other so-called fossilized human footprints to be. Though I have to admit it got more and more difficult to dismiss the prints the more I looked at them. That?s because I noticed that the larger set had what looked for all the world like a tread pattern and a flat heel, while the smaller set had toes. But I was still working hard to convince myself this had to be a trick weathering of the rock, because of course there were no humans wearing boots, or with bare feet, during the time of the dinosaurs.

And then I came across one hadrosaur print that had a perfectly obvious bare human footprint planted right in one of the toes. It looked to have been done very deliberately. I?m usually the first one to line up wi

2. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Ok, you have me hooked. Interesting start, I impressed myself knowing what a Troodon is (was) without having to google it. Now I have to know where this is going.

azizah

3. Jedi-Gon

Jedi-Gon Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2007
    Well, you've got me interested! [face_laugh] I was giggling the whole way through... So, my question is this: How did Obi-Wan end up bere-footed? And how'd Qui-Gon (or Obi-Wan) loose their comlink? Update soon!

4. JediKenshin

JediKenshin Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2008
    Very cute! So the two of them completely mucked up the time-line! At least the scientists are covering up the fact. Looking forward to seeing how much trouble the boys will get themselves into.:D

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Very interesting. I really liked the description of the dinosaur footprints.

One thing, though. Please get rid of a bunch of ========== from the beginning of the story because it's causing scrolling. Thanks.

6. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Definitely an unusual beginning, will be interesting to see how our boys fit into this. Am looking forward to more of it! Thanks for getting rid of the scrolling, that's partly why I didn't respond earlier, was hard to read that way.

Edit - The scrolling is back somehow? :confused:

7. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Sorry about the scrolling everyone! I fixed it! I thought I had fixed it when I posted because it wasn't scrolling anymore on my computer, but reading about the trouble you guys were having made me realize I have a wide-screen computer. Oops. [face_blush]

I'll have the next post up in a couple of days! And let me just say its quite long! :D

8. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Hey, this seems pretty interesting, you've definately got me intrigued. Awesome perspective, very creative.

PM list please and thank you.

9. Glenstorm

Glenstorm Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 27, 2006
    Oooohhh! Very interesting. You've got me hooked already. I love intrigue. [face_love]

What a wonderful way to start with these discoveries. You can almost piece together what befell the boys from the clues found.

More please! [face_praying] I'd love to see where this very origanal story is going. :)

10. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Very intriguing. [face_thinking] I can't wait to see where you're going with this! I'm looking forward to the next post.

11. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Thank you all for your interest in my story! [:D]

azizah--I'm so glad you enjoyed the first post, thanks for reading! :D And you know what a Troodon is! [face_dancing] Are you a fellow dino-lover? :cool:

Jedi-Gon--I'm glad you found my prologue so amusing! [face_laugh] And hooray that you could tell it was a comlink! [face_dancing] Farmer Gray would have been pleased to know he had described the strange object in his cliff so acurately. :D

JediKenshin--Thank you! [:D] And yes, didn't you know that mucking up timelines was Obi-Wan's other speciality? :p

dianethx--I'm glad you like it so far! [face_love] Sorry about the scrolling problem, thanks so much for putting up with it and reading anyway! [:D]

Jinngerbread--Thanks for reading! It is unusual, but I just couldn't resist having the story begin this way, I think it will make the rest of it more fun. :D

Cole_Kenobi--Thank you! [face_love] You're on the PM list! :D

Glenstorm--Aww, thanks! [face_blush] I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far! I'll have more up really soon.

jedidas3--I'm glad you like it so far! :D Thanks for reading!

Current PM list:

Cole_Kenobi

I'll have chapter one up in a few minutes, I just spent all evening proofreading. [face_tired] I hope you guys like it, I've read through it so many times I can't tell if it's actually interesting anymore. 8-}

12. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Chapter One--Shortcuts Lead to Long Delays

?But that region of space isn?t all that well-charted, are you sure?? Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn asked.

The pilot of their transport, Tean Reysum, nodded confidently. ?I?ve been through there before, more than once in fact, so don?t worry. And besides, it?s so remote that the chances of us colliding with anything are about 900 billion to one.?

Qui-Gon caught the eye of his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and slowly shook his head with an exaggerated roll of his eyes. He mouthed hotshot pilot.

Just as he had hoped, his padawan grinned, just a little, but at least it was something. Qui-Gon was a little worried about the boy, to tell the truth. He had a frazzled look about him, was a bit paler than normal, and had shadowed, tired eyes. Quite frankly, he was worn out.

Qui-Gon sighed inwardly. It was no wonder the boy was overly-tired. They had originally been called on a mission to help settle a land dispute on Regana, but after that was completed the Council had requested they continue on to Septias Major, a remote planet in the Outer Rim that had been on the verge of civil war. It had been impossible to refuse, since they were the only Jedi team anywhere close enough to get there in time to prevent the population from destroying itself.

Regana had been hard enough, but Septias was ten times worse. Obi-Wan had handled the exhausting negotiations and constant danger with remarkable calm and confidence for someone so young, and Qui-Gon was very proud of him. He would no doubt make a fine Jedi knight one day. But for now, he?d settle for getting the boy a little rest and relaxation.

?Very well,? Qui-Gon said, turning back to the pilot. ?Take your shortcut.? The pilot was proposing that instead of taking established trade-routes home, which meant going back over to Regana before continuing on to Coruscant, they should simply cut across the galaxy and go in a straight line from Septias to Coruscant. The problem was that this part of the Outer and Mid Rim was very sparsely inhabited, and hence not well-traveled, or well-charted. There were supposedly only one or two habitable planets in the whole Errit Sector, the one they were going to pass through, far too remote for anyone to trouble with. But this shortcut would take over twenty hours off of their journey, and they would avoid the dangerous passage from Regana to Malastare, which pirates had been known to ambush on occasion. Qui-Gon felt no warning from the Force about the pilot?s proposal, and neither did Obi-Wan apparently, as he wasn?t pronouncing any bad feelings. Still, he knew they should be prepared for any contingency. ?But first, send word to Coruscant of our change in flight plans, if you would.?

The pilot grinned. ?I?m one step ahead of you,? he said, as he punched the transmit button on the cockpit?s communication?s console. He had already entered the coordinates in the nav-computer, and now he pulled back the hyperdrive lever with a flourish. ?You won?t regret this, Master Jinn,? he said triumphantly.

I certainly hope not. Turning around, Qui-Gon ushered his padawan out of the cockpit, his large hand on the boy?s shoulder. ?What say we get some rest now, Obi-Wan? You certainly look like you could use some.?

The young Jedi nodded tiredly. ?Yes, Master. That sounds like a great idea.?

Qui-Gon gave his padawan?s shoulder a good-night squeeze outside his cabin, and then continued on to his own. He had to admit, he was feeling quite tired too. After shrugging out of his robe and draping it over a chair, he sat heavily down on his bunk. He took off his boots and his utility belt and dumped them on the floor, then lay wearily down. He still had to compose his mission report, but first he would close his eyes, just for a few minutes?

The next thing Qui-Gon knew, he was lying on the floor, wondering how in the galaxy he had gotten there. His question was answered a moment later as the ship shuddered violently. He grabbed the side of his bunk t

13. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Hi Bastet[face_dancing] What a great start and I know I am going to love this story
    Please PM me if you would be so kind.
    I have just arrived back from two weeks holiday and I have so much to catch up with.:cool:

I just loved this piece. Qui-Gon knows
    how much Obi-Wan loves him.[face_love]

?Yes, Master,? he heard Obi-Wan murmur softly, breaking him out of his thoughts, and then without another moment?s hesitation, he felt the young teenager fully open his end of the bond, allowing the big Jedi unshielded access to his mind for the first time since they became master and padawan. Qui-Gon was unprepared for the flood of light that suddenly filled his mind from the bond, and the emotions that came along with it. He felt kindness, compassion, loyalty, courage, and dedication, emotions that he already knew his padawan possessed in abundance. But there were other emotions that he hadn?t been so aware of. He felt love there, and trust, and he realized that they were directed at him.

Qui-Gon sucked in his breath, feeling almost overwhelmed by what he sensed over the bond. After all he had done, all the times he had hurt this boy, his dear padawan still loved him unconditionally. Loved him, trusted him, looked up to him, even?adored him. It was honoring, flattering, and humbling all at once.

Excellent story.[:D]

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What wonderful h/c!! [face_love] EDITED to add: Please add me to your PM list.

Wasting no time, Qui-Gon tilted Obi-Wan?s head back and started breathing into his mouth. The boy?s chest rose slightly, but that was the only movement the worried master could discern. He quickly moved down and started compressing Obi-Wan?s chest, as rapidly and as hard as he could without damaging any of his ribs. He could feel the boy?s life-force wavering alarmingly, spurring on the master?s efforts to resuscitate his padawan before he slipped away completely. He breathed in his mouth again, once, twice, followed by several more compressions.

?Come on, Obi-Wan!? Qui-Gon said breathlessly as he worked on the boy. ?Don?t do this to me!? He couldn?t lose him! Not now, not like this! ?No, Obi-Wan!? It was taking too long. Qui-Gon could barely feel the boy now. ?Please, stay with me!? he begged, almost choking on the words.

Rain was dripping down his face, obscuring his vision, but he could still see how very still his padawan remained. He breathed in his mouth yet again, filling the uncooperative lungs with air. No use. As he began another round of compressions, Qui-Gon knew he wouldn?t stop until he passed out from exhaustion. In the short time they had been together, slightly less than a standard year, this boy had come to mean more to him than anything else in this galaxy. The thought of losing him was unbearable. No! He refused to think about it! ?Breathe, padawan!? he pleaded, his own breath coming now in ragged gasps. He was beyond exhausted, but he kept going, he had to. Obi-Wan wasn?t gone, not yet, he could feel it. Not until his bond with the boy was ripped from him to lay in ragged pieces in his mind would he even begin to consider stopping. He couldn?t let that happen! Taking hold of the boy?s face, he breathed in again, once, twice?

And then Qui-Gon heard the most glorious, wonderful sound he had ever heard in his life. Obi-Wan gasped, and then started coughing. Qui-Gon sagged to the sand in profound relief. ?Thank the Force,? he breathed. He took his padawan by the shoulders and gently helped him roll on his side as he continued to cough. He started rubbing his back, simply reveling in the feel of movement under his hands. The boy had been too still for far too long.

?That?s it, Obi-Wan,? he encouraged his padawan, still rubbing his back. ?You?re okay. You?re going to be fine. Just keep breathing.? Obi-Wan?s coughing and gasping finally began to subside as he slowly got his breath back. ?You?re okay. You?re okay.? He knew he was saying that almost more for his own benefit than Obi-Wan?s, but all that really mattered was that it was true.

The rain began pouring down again in earnest, even as the lighting and thunder began to fade somewhat. Wet sand covered both of them, their hair and clothes sopping wet. Qui-Gon leaned his upper body over his padawan to keep as much of the rain off his face as possible, as the boy finally managed to get his breathing under control. Obi-Wan started to raise himself up to a sitting position, and Qui-Gon quickly put his arms around him, gently guiding him to lean on his broad chest. Obi-Wan buried his head in his tunic, and Qui-Gon thought he heard him whimper slightly. He ran his fingers through the boy?s spiky hair as he murmured softly, ?You alright, Padawan?? He felt Obi-Wan shake his head slightly, another soft whimper escaping. Qui-Gon?s forehead creased in concern. ?What?s wrong, Obi-Wan?? Besides the fact that you nearly drowned, of course.

I could feel the storm - where's the towel! - and Qui's concern and affection were wonderfully portrayed.

The poor pilot, but he went out in a blaze of glory.

Wonderful chapter and I love the environmental descriptions as much as the characterizations.

15. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Wow, very intense chapter, poor Qui/Obi! At least Qui-Gon was strong enough to get them both off safely, even if they're both injured. Guess they don't call him a Master for nothing ;)

I sense this is going to get worse before it gets better, all those injuries at the very beginning can't be good for Obi, and hitting his head that many times couldn't have been good for Qui-Gon either.

Please add me to your PM list :D I don't want to miss anything :)

16. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Aww, this was awesome!

Poor Obi-wan though, a lot of pain he's going, having broken a bone myself I know the feeling. lol

I loved the descriptions of Qui-gon trying to find Obi-wan while on the ship, and how exhausted they were, etc... Just a really nice read, I like your writing style, it flows very nicely...

Great update! Thanks for the PM!

17. JediKenshin

JediKenshin Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2008
    Excellent! I love the detail- it is so easy to imagine what is happening in one's head. I can't wait for them to find out what kind of planet they crashed into!

18. Jedi-Gon

Jedi-Gon Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2007
    Oooh! I'm loving this! Amazing, Bastet! [face_love]

Hmmm... Hotshot pilot, indeed. Sure, go get Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon stranded on Earth, why don'tcha? [face_shame_on_you]

Shortcuts make for long delays.

Ooh, Pippin quote! Pippin quote! (You wouldn't have happened to have read Lord of the Rings before, would you?)

Loved the part where Qui-Gon thought Obi-Wan was drowning - I was holding my breath too!

And then Qui-Gon heard the most glorious, wonderful sound he had ever heard in his life. Obi-Wan gasped, and then started coughing. Qui-Gon sagged to the sand in profound relief. ?Thank the Force,? he breathed. He took his padawan by the shoulders and gently helped him roll on his side as he continued to cough. He started rubbing his back, simply reveling in the feel of movement under his hands. The boy had been too still for far too long.

?That?s it, Obi-Wan,? he encouraged his padawan, still rubbing his back. ?You?re okay. You?re going to be fine. Just keep breathing.? Obi-Wan?s coughing and gasping finally began to subside as he slowly got his breath back. ?You?re okay. You?re okay.? He knew he was saying that almost more for his own benefit than Obi-Wan?s, but all that really mattered was that it was true.

Glorious sound indeed! Poor Qui. No, Poor Obi! That fracture! Just thinking about it made me cringe. [face_worried]

Oooh.... I wonder what that creature was? I think I've seen a picture of what you're describing, but I can't remember it's name.

Awwwwwww..... Qui-Gon finally sees what Obi-Wan is thinking. [face_love][face_love][face_love] Definetly love that! Hehe... Obi-Wan's so sweet when he's hurt... Though I do pity the poor boy. Like I said, that kind of fracture has got to hurt. Make Qui give him a hug for me. ;)

Can't wait to see what happens next, Bastet! And awsome start, so far! =D==D==D=

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Very intense. I could feel the way the ship was breaking up and how Qui had to struggle to get to Obi-Wan. Poor kid. Compound fracture is really hard to deal with.

Good job.

20. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Excellent start, emotion packed already and it is just getting started. [face_love] I love it.

I can't wait to read Obi-Wan's point of view.

My dino knowledge goes way back. I was raised with wolves, I mean boys, and we went through the usual dino period with extra enthusiasm. Never liked Troodon though, too smart. :D

Posting soon? [face_praying]

21. Glenstorm

Glenstorm Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 27, 2006
    Great job with the resuss scene. =D= I was definately holding my breath back there. Please, please update soon, I need to know what happens! I'm also loving it because I too went through a dinosaur craze when I was little. I think I went from dinosaurs to horses to dinosaurs, though the horses won out in the end and I've forgotten a lot! I don't think I ever heard of a Troodon, though [face_thinking]. Please update and re-educate me! [face_praying]

22. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Ack! Sorry this took so long, you guys, the past three weeks have just flown by, it seems. And I'm just not happy with this chapter! [face_frustrated] :_| It just seems too long and boring to me. But...maybe the ending will make up for it. [face_mischief]

Now on to replies:

Gkilkenny--What a great start and I know I am going to love this story Aww, thank you! [:D]

Valairy Scot--I could feel the storm - where's the towel! - and Qui's concern and affection were wonderfully portrayed. Wow, thanks! :D I'm glad you're liking my story!

Jinngerbread--I sense this is going to get worse before it gets better, all those injuries at the very beginning can't be good for Obi [face_whistling] Thanks for reading! :D

Cole_Kenobi--Just a really nice read, I like your writing style, it flows very nicely... :eek: [face_blush] Wow, thanks! I'm glad your liking this so far. :)

JediKenshin--I can't wait for them to find out what kind of planet they crashed into! [face_devil] Me neither. Thanks for reading! [:D]

Jedi-Gon--Shortcuts make for long delays. Ooh, Pippin quote! Pippin quote! (You wouldn't have happened to have read Lord of the Rings before, would you?) Actually, I have read it, more than once in fact, but I didn't remember that Pippin had ever said that. [face_blush] I guess I quoted him unconsciously. Oooh.... I wonder what that creature was? I think I've seen a picture of what you're describing, but I can't remember it's name. [face_devil] You'll find out.
    Thanks for reading! :)

dianethx--Good job. :D Why, thank you! Glad you're enjoying it!

azizah--I'm glad you're liking it so far. My dino knowledge goes way back. :D Mine too! I never grew out of my love for them, though. [face_love] Never liked Troodon though, too smart. [face_devil]

Glenstorm--Hooray, another dino-lover! [face_dancing] Please update and re-educate me! Sure thing! :D

Current PM list:

Cole_Kenobi
    Gkilkenny
    Valairy Scot
    Jinngerbread

And now, on with the story!

=====================================

Chapter Two--Might as Well Get Comfortable

Obi-Wan slowly returned to consciousness. The first thing he became aware of was a dull, throbbing pain in his lower left arm. That brought him the rest of the way awake, and he realized that he was wet. And the air smelled funny. He opened his eyes.

What in the galaxy?

Obi-Wan found himself staring at a dark brown wall. Looking around, he saw that he was alone in a very small, irregularly shaped room, the ceiling of which was lost in shadow. The floor was covered in dead leaves. Light was streaming in from a triangular opening to the left, but his angle didn?t allow him to see anything beyond. Obi-Wan sat up quickly, intending to get a better look, but he immediately regretted it as his head started pounding, followed by a wave of dizziness.

?Ooh,? Obi-Wan moaned softly as he slowly lay back down. He gingerly felt his head with his right hand, and winced as he came it contact with a painful bump on the right side of his forehead. Just then, a shadow covered the opening, and the boy looked up to see his master there, a smile on his face.

?Hello, Padawan,? Qui-Gon greeted as he stooped over and knelt down in the small room next to the young Jedi. ?How are you feeling?? His eyes roved over the boy, taking in his physical condition as he sent out a gentle probe through the Force along their bond.

Obi-Wan relaxed, allowing his master unhindered access to his mind as he answered his question. ?I feel okay, Master. My head hurts a little.?

Qui-Gon nodded. ?You have a pretty bad bump there, but it will be alright.? He folded his legs up under him, sitting cross-legged on the floor of the little brown room. He reached out and laid his hand very gently on Obi-Wan?s forehead

23. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Very interesting concept inside a tree, describing it to be like a closet.
    Brilliant.

?Well, I am a growing boy, Master,? Obi-Wan said, and then as if to help emphasize his point, his stomach suddenly growled rather loudly. Qui-Gon laughed again.

and so he is however, Fish for breakfast even I could not handle that.:p

Poor Obi-Wan he has a broken arm, not good.[face_worried]

There trek around the forest and learning about the living force may be good for Qui,
    but I am worried about Obi.

Although I shouldn't because his master will take good care of him.[face_dancing]

wonderful chapter Bastet, I wonder what will happen next since it appears they were here 65 million years ago.

=D=

24. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    Ok, that's got to be the most unusual beginning of a fic I've ever seen.
    But what a great one!

And then the story!
    It's brilliant. :D
    Poor Obi. Broken arm and all - and no more medical supplies?? [face_worried]

Love it!

PMs please? [face_batting]

25. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Awesome story. Poor Obi-Wan! Between his broken arm and now passing out Qui-Gon will be dealing with one poor Padawan. Again, awesome update! :)