main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A MidWest Star Wars Convention!

Discussion in 'Archive: Quad Cities (old board)' started by jedihexer, Aug 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002

Dear Fellow Star Wars Fans,

My name is Eric Larson. I am the President of the Wisconsin Fan Force Group.

The reason I am writing is to invite your club to Wisconsin in November! Every year since 1985 we have had a media convention. Two years ago, I created a new con called FilmCon. It's purpose was to teach film making to fans interested in the genre of indie films. Since it began we have grown about 200%. We still keep it small, around 200-250 people each year.

We also do something special each year, by picking a topic or film to highlight. This year I picked Star Wars...to help celebrate it's 25 year!

The convention is held in Madison, Wisconsin. November 15th-17th. From noon Friday until 4 PM Sunday. This is also a charity convention. ALL money made above the cost of running the convention goes to a Breast Cancer charity we have helped out for the past 2 years.

I am writing to all Midwest chapters to see if anyone is interested in attending. Already fans from Chicago's and Minnesota's Fan Force have registered. My hope is to have enough Fan Force members from around the area meet up and introduce the different clubs to one another at the convention. There will be a special time and room set aside so ALL groups can meet and interact during the convention. As far as I know this would be one of the 1st times a big Midwest meeting would be held.

There are 3 tracks of programming this year. Film making/ Star Wars/ and Multi-Media.

The film making panels are just that. We teach everything from blue screen shooting and make-up to advanced 3d modeling on computers...Maya and 3D Max will be represented this year. DISCREET computer software will have their lead artist on hand all day Saturday and Sunday to give lectures and demo's on the companies new programs. This along with practical seminars on budgets, storyboarding and design.

Track two is just Star Wars...Everything and anything. From costume panels and prop making, to introducing gaming and fanzines. As much will be covered as possible in three days. This includes a 2 seminar class on light saber techniques taught by several professional fencing instructors.( These classes are held on Saturday, and must be signed up for in advance.)

Track 3 is Muti-media. From Trek to Galactica...Sci-Fi Channel to other films...everything that is not Star Wars will be covered. Including a large discussion on Lord of the Rings!

If you are interested in panels and want to participate: Please let us know, and on what topic you would like to talk about.

Our guests are truly fun this year. Dr. David West Reynold's. A lecturer, veteran of field expeditions on three continents and author of scientific archeological publications. He has written X-Wing& TIE Fighter pocket guides along with the star wars Visual Dictionaries and the Star Wars and Phantom Menace cutaway books. He is currently at work on a new book about the light saber and it's history. The Dr. will be leading panel discussions on "the Archeology of Star Wars"- the locations from the original SW film, and the archives. He will also discuss his new book about NASA. (He will be autographing his books.)

Paul Topolos a matte and storyboard artist for Pixar. He has also worked for Lucasarts as the designer of Rouge Leader for the X Box and Rouge Squadron, Racer, Grim Fandango, Obi Wan and Shadows of the Empire. But what makes Paul so interesting is his latest achievement. Not only did he help storyboard both episode 1 & 2, he is the matte artist and designer for the AOTC?s DVD...due out the same week as the convention! Paul will be on hand to discuss everything you want to know about the film and his work on the disc. (This is the only convention anyone from the DVD design team will be attending-and will sign autographs.)

Derek Smith is also and artist and designer. He has worked on the ?Wildlife of Star Wars? book and is currently working at Raven Software, the makers of Jedi Outcast.

Also The Great Lukeski will be entertaining the convention with his famous tunes.

We also have a GRE

2. Count_Looku

Count_Looku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2002
    Perhaps we should consider this.
    Posably sending 2 or three representitives...

3. QCPsychoJedi

QCPsychoJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2002
    Yeah but how do we decide who gets to go? Draw straws?

4. ChrisKenobi

ChrisKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2002
    I will be going for sure. I welcome all to join me on our quest to spread the word of the Jedi order.

5. Wookiee_Cushion

Wookiee_Cushion Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2002
    Scratch. Spit. Scratch again. Wind up. And here's the pitch....!

As a presenter and spectator of the first two FilmCons, I highly recommend attendence to this event! Eric definitely knows how to put on a show that appeals to many people - from sci-fi fans to film makers. I tend to indulge, and have taken advantage of every aspect of this convention in the past - from participating in the costume contest to talking one-on-one with the guests about their techniques and experiences. The enthusiasm and eagerness among those present is infectous - from the speakers to the bystanders. In fact, the FilmCons of the past are some of the best conventions I've ever been to - it's smaller size allows more time and attention from the guests, and discussion and fun time among those attending. Anyways, before I spend all of my two cents, please consider coming to this Con! For a mere $25, you purchase one hell of an entertaining and inspiring weekend...

I hope to see some of you there! I certainly will be, but it is my duty to throw the best hotel room party possible. Such is my path. Let our destiny's entwine over salty snacks and boxed wine...

6. Count_Looku

Count_Looku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2002
    I will not be able to attend do to work(weekends suck)... But I incurage anyone else to go.

7. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Hi all!

If you've seen my other posts here, you know I'm from the QC, but live in Madison, WI where it's being held.

I would recommend coming. It's a cool town. A cool college town, that is, and lots of bars to go to. ;)

I'm probably not going to the convention myself, but if you have any questions about Madison, please ask here or PM me and I will try to answer them the best I can.

I have only been here 1 year, so I don't know everything about the place, but I do know a fair amount of things.

Edit: I forgot to add, it takes around 2 and a half to 3 hours to get up here from the QC, depending on which way you went.
    Latre! :D

8. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Cant wait to meet you all at film con

Ben

9. Wookiee_Cushion

Aug 19, 2002
    Do the bump. Gots to get this topic up.

10. jedinan

jedinan Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    I'm new in these parts, but just wanted to say hi, and put a plug in for this con. I have gone before and it sure is fun.

It is the one convention that has about eevrything a fan could want. I love animation, and evry year this convention does not fail to please!

I am also a HUGE SW fan. I have been since 1977, and I still love Harrison to this day!

I think it would be great if evry group here in the midwest got together for the event. Not to mention, it's for a charity.

If you haven't signed up yet- get to it. Believe me YOU WILL HAVE FUN! Jedi's never lie about the force or good conventions.

Jedi NAN

Cheers!

11. jedihexer

Apr 17, 2002
    Justa quick note. There are still plenty of memberships left for the con. Also remember that we sold out last year!

I have room for 25 more registrations this year, but already we are having interest from several film schools. So if you are hesitating don't do it for long. Many Fan Force members will be there, and we are adding new panels. A list should be on the web by end of month.

Chris thanks for all the hard work. And to everyone who is planning to come, but I really need the pre registrations! Don't forget your checks when you register.

Does anyone want to pass out flyers around your town? Let me know-I will send some to you!

Thanks IOWA!!!!! You are the best!

Eric

12. zpac4

zpac4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2002
    Actually, ILLINOIS is the best, but thanks anyway.

13. QCJediLance

QCJediLance Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2002
    I will be sending my registration in Friday when I get paid. It looks like QC Jedi will have a good turn out.
    Lance

14. jedinan

jedinan Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    Hi People,
    Eric wanted this sent around. He is having trouble with his email system. So I'm delivering the message. If you have questions write to Eric, at- filmcon@earthlink.net.

JediNan

1. If you plan on attending FilmCon, the first 100 attendee's will get a
    special laminated con badge with lanyard.

2. We have room still, but I do want to let people know this. The more
    people that sign up early, the easier it will be to plan the convention.
    Even with 200+ people, it is a large task.
    So if you are considering coming, please let me know. If you have questions
    write to me at the filmcon website.

15. QCJediLance

Jul 22, 2002
    Hey who do we make the checks out to for the film con.

Lance

16. QCJediLance

Jul 22, 2002
    Just got this from Eric:

Lance- Sorry for the confusion. Please make the check out to:

FILMCON 3
    P.O. Box 558
    DeForest, WI 53532

Please post this so everyone in the Quad Cites also know this. Several
    people have sent their registration sheets, but no checks. Chris and his
    brother-also Mark.

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

Eric

17. Wookiee_Cushion

Aug 19, 2002
    Commence the countdown sequence, because FilmCon is a less than two months away...!

As the time before it decreases, the attendance increases, so make sure to sign up A.S.A.P.! What are you waiting for? Do yourself a favor, and don't miss out on this truly unique experience. I cannot praise this convention enough - so all that I can suggest is that you sign up, and see for yourself. With all of the guests, seminars, events, and, of course, parties - having a great time is guaranteed!

For updated information on the convention, or to register on-line, go to www.filmcon.com

18. QCPsychoJedi

QCPsychoJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2002
    Oh man I am so excited. Our cash finally came in, the checks will be in and now I have enough money and time to do Kit Fisto the right way. This Halloween the wife and I are going with you guys as a stormtrooper and Luminara Unduli.
    I don't know how that works continuity wise, maybe it's a time travel thing lol. So I won't be able to pull out Kit in time for Halloween this year but he will be ready for the film con.

Anyway, I'm going on line to purchase some paints, the mask and some liquid latex then it's off to walmart to pick up some cheap nylon and cotton, I tell you this project is going to kick major @$$. I'm pumped. Can you feel it baby? yeah.

19. jedihexer

Apr 17, 2002
    For the lightsaber classes will actually sign up at the con when you get your badge. There are 2 classes and a special stunt class, so for those who really want to get into this-here is your chance. The instructor for the stunt class is a REAL hollywood stunt man! WOW.....

Remember most everything is sign up at the door. The classes will be limited to 20 people each. We never run out of room but if people want to pre-reg. let us know,
    maybe Tom can make something on the site for it?

The 1st round of panels and seminars is done. FINALLLY...now this weekend I finish with the final breakdown! It is Jammed with Star Wars stuff folk's. Even more than I thought possible.

We still need people to sign up. The big problem is for a small con like this it takes cash up front to run. I know a lot of you have signed up already, and quite a few say they are coming. We really need you to do it now. So if you have questions or anything, let me know. I will write back ASAP!

Thanks for the support!
    E

20. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    We need your help, guys! This could be the last year for FilmCon unless more people pre-register. The problem is that the hotel is getting picky about handling the fees for the conference rooms. They want all the money up front, but we can't do that unless more people pre-register.

There is no other convention like this. Nowhere else can you get storyboarding lessons from a real Star Wars storyboard artist, have brunch with authors of Star Wars books, and learn how to make your own fan film, all for only $25 for the whole weekend! What's more, because it's a small convention there are no lines to get through before each event, unlike *ahem* certain other conventions. ;) It's like Gen Con's early days!

We're trying to organize this as a Fan Force event, in the same vein as Celebration, focusing on independent filmmaking. I've received word that Joshua Griffin is planning to be there. Twenty members of the Rebel Legion and the 501st will be there. There will be room parties and plenty of other opportunities for Fan Force members from around the Midwest to get to know each other. So please register! I want to meet you guys! :)

21. jedihexer

Apr 17, 2002
    O.K. Folk's.... Update news!!!!!

You wanted a good convention, now it's going to be GREAT.

Mark Nelson of Raven Software (The makers of Jedi Outcast) will be doing a panel for fans and filmakers on the designing and creation of aliens.

What is so great about this is not only will he show his work from games he has created, but will also design creatures at the convention...

This will be a hands on panel, in other words we invite you to bring drawing paper and art materials with you. Last year Mark did a panel on designing StaR Wars ships-it was packed and sold out!

So if you want to learn from an artist who has been in the industry for over 20 years, and loves Sci-Fi...this is the panel for you.

We have also been contacted by a company who wishes to show it's new computer program that takes movement from an actor and directly transfers the expressions to a CG character. This will be a 2 hour seminar, on Saturday afternoon.

More panels, more fun, more for film makers and SW fans alike. Don't delay- sign up for FILMCON 3 today!

www.filmcon.com

22. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    bump. Filmcon will rock

23. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    The official itinerary has just been uploaded. You may start planning your weekend now. :)

24. jedihexer

Apr 17, 2002
    Less than 48 hours to go, and yes I am going nuts!

But I am having fun doing it. This year has been both difficult and wonderful at the same time.
    I realized how many friends I have out there, and how many people love this little con so much. The thing that gets me is all the support I have received in the last two weeks.

So many have asked if they could volunteer and help out. While others have donated many things to the auction. The fact is while everyone contributes something, it is the small acts of kindness and generosity that makes it worth all the effort.

So to everyone who has helped so far...THANKS A LOT!

To everyone who has come before, I thank you for your continued support. And to those who will be joining us for the first time...I'm glad you feel this is a worth while convention to support!

Now on to the updates...

1. For the charity auction. We have TONS of neat stuff this year. Those rare Jorg Sucal figures, and some very rare lenticular sheets I will be donating. Some great videos and books from around the world, to many, many posters and collectibles. This year we have a plethera of things...something for everybody. We also have the white Bantha Sale. This is a small group of items that will be under $10 each, in the dealers room. I need volunteers to help man this table.
    1-2 hour shifts if possible. All the profits go to the charity.

2. Special Classes. Light sabers, Stunts, and Green Screens. You must sign up for this at the time you register at the main table. For those going to the saber classes, please remember to bring a 4 foot 3/4" dowel, for your light saber. You will also have to sign a consent form.
    Remember there are 2 classes. The stunt class will be great. So I hope just as many sign up for it. There you will be shown how to move with a saber, not just to attack.

For the Green screen class. I recommend dressing lightly. It will get very warm with all the lights and such. The panel was moved up to 5pm. Paul's storyboarding class will be moved back. to the evening slot.

3. We will be showing the Ewok films earlier in the day, that is to get them both in and to make sure there is something for people arriving early. Remember...not all people like these little guys. But these are official stories, and some people have NEVER seen them before. Not to mention, some Ewoks get killed in the second film. (I am not laughing! ;)

4. Mark Nelson of Raven software has donated to the auction "2" copies of Jedi Outcast. AUTOGRAPHED by the entire team who created the game! There are only these 2, and trust me no others will ever be made. These are rare items. Mark will also be teaching a class on creating aliens for the star wars universe on Saturday afternoon. This is going to be a great panel for gaming fans and for those who want to make fan films. So bring something to draw with. This promises to be a fun time!

5. For those wanting to buy stuff at the auction. No item goes over $300. So if possible, if you plan to buy a lot, please bring cash. Last year several checks did bounce, and there is little in way of getting the funds recovered for the charity. We will also have bags this year that you can buy cheaply, to carry all your booty home in- they happen to be Star Wars poster bags!
    Checks will also be accepted. Please be sure to show us ID if you are using checks. We cannot process credit cards. At the auction or at registration.

6. Please bring camera's and video camera's. We encourage taping of the panels, and the events. It's more fun to share later.

7. For the costume contest. Everyone must assemble 1/2 hour before the contest to be pre-judged. It also helps to organize the event! You must register for this when you sign up at the time of entrance. there will be entertainment during the show.

8. For those coming for the film panels. We have had a lot of interest in the last 2 weeks. PLEASE be on time for the panels, and come early. The reason is we have a finite amount of seats. And there will be tables for you to take notes on. You may also bring l

25. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Bows to Quad Cities....

Just got back from Film Con and wanted to be the first to tell you all congratulations again for your victory in the Costume Contest (once again....told you so)....

you guys were totally awesome and a great group of people....

Hope to meet up with you again soon!

(I was the "old lady Jedi" who checked you in at registration)

ps...I am wearing the "Lucasfilm Ltd" sweatshirt I won at the charity auction even as i type this....lol

once again AWESOME!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.